Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Vander
2nd Gear Member

blacked out corners?

Ok so I've already bought two different kinds of "black out" tint and neither of them turned out dark enough . . . more like smoked than blacked out

this is the look I'm going for, anyone done this and what tint did you use???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wide body.jpg (95.8 KB, 1076 views)
Old 07-14-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
328is
tire don't like me

This is no tint, it's paint !

And it looks like he used the color code of the car
Old 07-14-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
trd_mr2
2nd Gear Member

maybe you can use lamin-x
trd_mr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
W2WDETAILING
Banned

VHT night shades. but good luck getting your hands on it i purchased a can in the falls last year for 20 dollars. people are selling it for almost double in toronto if you can find it. i was in the falls last month and the store said the sold 172 cans of this stuff in 2weeks! and they re ordered and its on back order from the supplier. also lamin-x isn't dark enough

these are my tail lights and my plate filler tinted about 70% with night shades
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vht spray e30.jpg (156.7 KB, 221 views)

Last edited by W2WDETAILING; 07-14-2009 at 08:18 AM.
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Vander
2nd Gear Member

yeah my friend told me about vht night shades . . . he actualy did it on his car but when lit up it looked kind of splotchy, i was hoping here was a really dark tint that might be more uniform

I guess the trick is to get it to spray on there nice and even

I think i might get some clear lamin-x put it on and spray that instead of directly onto the lights . . . that way if i screw it up i can just start over
Old 07-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
W2WDETAILING
Banned

if you dont prep your surface it will look like shit. you have to sand the corners with 2000grit then do multiple light coats sanding between coats with 2000 or if you can get 2500 even better. then in order to preserve the finish hit it with a coat or 2 of clear or it will peel and chip like nothing. esp on the front of the vehicle. also if you plan on doing it to those clear lights make sure there is a diffuser like plastic inside such as oem...you cant sand lamin-x so how are you going to get the tint spray to adhere properly? lamin-x is also self healing so the spray will probl crack off with heat and cold.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
Vander
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the tips! I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and give it a try and forget the lamin-x all together . . . now its just a matter of tracking down some VHT night shades!
Old 07-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Why would you want to do this to your car? Especially when the cops are cracking down on vehicles that don't look stock. Having said that in my opinion it looks ugly.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
W2WDETAILING
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble65 View Post
Why would you want to do this to your car? Especially when the cops are cracking down on vehicles that don't look stock. Having said that in my opinion it looks ugly.
different strokes for different folks i know someone who has an black e30 and thier tail lights are literally black they have been like this for the past 2 years and they haven"t had any problems what so ever. the light emits thru the tint spray very well.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #10
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble65 View Post
exactly
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #11
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2WDETAILING View Post
different strokes for different folks i know someone who has an black e30 and thier tail lights are literally black they have been like this for the past 2 years and they haven"t had any problems what so ever. the light emits thru the tint spray very well.
I had a friend that was driving a Cavalier with tinted lights. He got pulled over and got a big fine, not only that he had to call a tow truck. His tinted lights had a price tag of $345. I'm not saying yes or no to the mod, just my .02 cents
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
Vander
2nd Gear Member

well I picked up some Tamiya smoke and clear paint from a hobby shop just around the corner from where I work, sprayed them last night and they turned out awesome!!

I'll post some picks when I get home tonight
Old 07-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #13
Vander
2nd Gear Member

alright so here is a before and after shot and the last one shows how much light actually still shines through

let me know what you think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00301.jpg (41.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00309.jpg (40.7 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00311.jpg (42.9 KB, 165 views)
Old 11-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
sammyD323
Now Viewing: 'For Sale'

looks really good, perfect. did you start with a smoked corner or clear corner? did you sand it like the guy said?? i want to buy smoked corners but none are dark enough for my liking. Im hesitant to use paint and such because i like the clear, crystled look but jsut really dark... it also sucks that the 2000+ e46's have really dark smoked corners avaliable but non for my car...
sammyD323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #15
Vander
2nd Gear Member

yeah i actually started with a smoked corner but I am sure the end result would be the same either way. Just make sure you do a lot of real light coats to make sure it goes on even. You only need to lightly wet sand it with 2000 grit a few times, definitely not after every coat. I couldn't find any place that had the vht nightshades but the Tamiya smoke and clear worked just as well and has held up no problem. You can find the Tamiya paint at most hobby shops.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: