Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

Knowing whether your car is "street worthy" or if its seconds away from getting towed

So after hearing about this new found enjoyment cops are having of pulling plates off cars, I've come to think, I don't even want to risk the chance of that happening. Some of you may know my car, If you've been to the max meets recently it's been there. 10k h.i.d.s in the fogs/headlights. Minor stretch, 8.5" wide rim with a 215/35/zr18. in thr front you can pass your hand big or small np with the wheels turned. Rear its hard to pass a finger but do-able. Anything else I should be looking for to make sure these doorknobs dont have any excuse to write me up a ticket or yank my plates?

Oh and btw I will be raising the rear. Im just waiting for the new PSS9's to fuly settle before i adjust anything.

Also just curious if anyone else has changed their cars in order to make them less "bait" if you would say.

Thanks

Jay
Old 07-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Just be sure your car will pass safety.

Your car has to go lock to lock without rubbing anything. They will look in the fenders for signs of rubbing. If they see anything, they can pull it for being un-safe.

They can also pull your plates for anything safety related. Parking brakes, structural damage, missing/damanged safety items. Smaller things which shouldn't get your plates pulled by itself but technically can are cracked windshield, lights, seat belts, etc.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
jeremy
6th Gear Member

pics please
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member

"...new found enjoyment cops are having of pulling plates off cars..."

This is nothing new.
Cops and Minstry of Transportation officials had the right to do that from Day 1 in Ontario.
It's just that they don't excersize it much.

Many years ago, Minstry of Transportation people used to set up check spots...usually on some empty parking lot near a busy street.
They would pull people over, and test things like parking brakes...cars would climb a ramp, then they would ask you to engage it. If the car rolled more than 2 inches you failed, and they would rip the plates off.

Don't know why they don't do that any more.
Maybe, they just can't be bothered.
EstorilM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Just be sure your car will pass safety.

Your car has to go lock to lock without rubbing anything. They will look in the fenders for signs of rubbing. If they see anything, they can pull it for being un-safe.

They can also pull your plates for anything safety related. Parking brakes, structural damage, missing/damanged safety items. Smaller things which shouldn't get your plates pulled by itself but technically can are cracked windshield, lights, seat belts, etc.
I think it depends on the situation though. Because I know for a fact that my friend got pulled over for speeding, her parking brake wasn't working, the cop asked her to test it and it failed, and he just wrote another ticket for it...

Could he really have pulled her plates just for that ? Did he "let her off" in a way by just giving the ticket ?
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
THE GURSH
1st Gear Newbie

The Minstry still do random spot checks. I remmeber last summer they had a check set up on Hwy 7 near the martingrove Timmies. The cops were pulling 3 cars at a time, moddified of course. But I mostly see the ministry outside of Toronto and they look more concered with the big rig trucks. I wouldn't be surprised if they start doing more spot checks though
THE GURSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:09 AM   #7
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

This is all old news but everyone has to learn for themselves. It was happening in the '60's with the muscle cars then. (my dad told me, I'm not that old) It was happening in the '80's when I was growing up, mostly with the 5 litres and the z28 camaros. (remember them?) Then in the '90's with the hotted up hatches. And now with anything that looks modified. Now is probably the worst time because of all of the negative press, and pressure from the general public to stop street racing. Now, I know most of us don't but look at it from their perspective. Whenever there's a street racing incident (not always, just often) it is usually some riced up car with a 17-24 year old behind the wheel. So, their thought process is, hit you where it hurts! Like I said, everyone seems to have to learn for themselves!
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:15 AM   #8
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
My car is stock height (I believe sport suspension) but due to my tires being the wrong size, 225/45/17 instead of 235/40/17 they rub close to full lock...

I could get my plates pulled? ...dang. Oh yea, my front bumper/lip is about to fall off. Black M3 bumper for sale anyone!??

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:33 AM   #9
Steve30
Techno Viking

I'm pretty sure that rubbing, regardless of vehicle height, is unsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flav_cool View Post
My car is stock height (I believe sport suspension) but due to my tires being the wrong size, 225/45/17 instead of 235/40/17 they rub close to full lock...

I could get my plates pulled? ...dang. Oh yea, my front bumper/lip is about to fall off. Black M3 bumper for sale anyone!??

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325is winter build
Steve30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:42 AM   #10
trd_mr2
2nd Gear Member

how much for ur bumper ?
trd_mr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #11
magnus
6th Gear Member

If your car passes your annual inspection the cops cant do shit!

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #12
arsevader
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
If your car passes your annual inspection the cops cant do shit!
Unlike many European countries, there is no federally/provincially mandated annual inspection in Canada.
'03 320i
'96 Volvo 850R
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
You'll be alright man. 10000K hids are a lil extreme, but if milan can get away with running 30000K lowbeams in a spraypainted black civic hatch, you'll be fine.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #14
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
This is all old news but everyone has to learn for themselves. It was happening in the '60's with the muscle cars then. (my dad told me, I'm not that old) It was happening in the '80's when I was growing up, mostly with the 5 litres and the z28 camaros. (remember them?) Then in the '90's with the hotted up hatches. And now with anything that looks modified. Now is probably the worst time because of all of the negative press, and pressure from the general public to stop street racing. Now, I know most of us don't but look at it from their perspective. Whenever there's a street racing incident (not always, just often) it is usually some riced up car with a 17-24 year old behind the wheel. So, their thought process is, hit you where it hurts! Like I said, everyone seems to have to learn for themselves!
yeah you're pretty old man...LOL...so am I come to think of it.!!! LOL

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #15
BigD
the misanthropist

It's pretty interesting how much entitlement there is for driving - a privilege. I don't think there was anything diabolical involved in the original thread. I think most calm and rational people would be able to look at it and know that any cop that has the time to bother with it will put a firm fist in your anus.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: