Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
xlash
Still learning....

Satellite TV via the internet - liegit or scam??

http://owensound.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and...AdIdZ140282779

Is this possible? J/w since I thought quality would suffer a lot.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:24 AM   #2
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

We are using this at our home! The feed comes through the internet because there is a new major block agaist illegal satellites...internet is the alternative solution for now!!
Old 07-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
xlash
Still learning....

How's the picture quality? I suppose you need a pretty fast modem >54MB to support TV and internet.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

i would like more info on that!!!

Im using internet based reciver from one company here for my Russian chanels quality is pretty good.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

We didnt notice any difference in quality, the internet feed is as good as the satellite.

The modem is the regular rogers high speed modem, but i think any other one will do just fine!

I dont know about the ad from kijiji (because its down now) but we are running a Kbox K1 plus unit for our tv, there is a lot of threads on the internet about it.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
M3GA
formerly Custom330

Anyone with the setup calculated monthly data streaming? I'm on Rogers Express HS Internet with 60GB/mth, could I even thether with my iphone on a 6GB/mth plan?

Also, do you get the same channel line up as Rogers/Bell TV?

I used to run Direct TV, back in the good ol' days!
M3GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_bimmer View Post
We didnt notice any difference in quality, the internet feed is as good as the satellite.

The modem is the regular rogers high speed modem, but i think any other one will do just fine!

I dont know about the ad from kijiji (because its down now) but we are running a Kbox K1 plus unit for our tv, there is a lot of threads on the internet about it.
I don't see how the kbox is an internet TV box ... just seems like any other FTA satallite receiver. Am I missing something? The OP was asking about getting satallite TV channels over the internet ... ie, no dish.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
xlash
Still learning....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
I don't see how the kbox is an internet TV box ... just seems like any other FTA satallite receiver. Am I missing something? The OP was asking about getting satallite TV channels over the internet ... ie, no dish.
That's correct. Thanks Scotch.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

Quote:
Well i kind of missed the point, but not fully! If the OP is looking for the satellite channel quality and availability, i don't think that will be achieved with just connecting to the internet!

Kbox is not just a regular FTA satellite reciever, currently it is not working off the satellites, but it works off a wireless internet connection! Basically you need the Kbox unit and a Khub ~$230 after that you can be enjoying over 400 channels via internet! Here is the current channel list http://www.ftatalk.com/showthread.php?t=296164
Old 07-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Well i kind of missed the point, but not fully! If the OP is looking for the satellite channel quality and availability, i don't think that will be achieved with just connecting to the internet!

Kbox is not just a regular FTA satellite reciever, currently it is not working off the satellites, but it works off a wireless internet connection! Basically you need the Kbox unit and a Khub ~$230 after that you can be enjoying over 400 channels via internet! Here is the current channel list http://www.ftatalk.com/showthread.php?t=296164
Can't see the link (need to register), but I still don't get it. Are you saying that you're getting a TV feed via the internet, without having a dish of any kind hooked up to the kbox? What does wireless have to do with it? Will it work over a DSL conenction? I've tried to find info on this and all I get is shit about dishes and LNBs and other crap, which obviously is NOT over the internet.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
mirek
6th Gear Member

Are you sure it's not just card sharing over the internet, using satellites? I can't see any of your threads, i don't want to register.
mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirek View Post
Are you sure it's not just card sharing over the internet, using satellites? I can't see any of your threads, i don't want to register.
yep mirek is right.......i FAIL

Just got home, disconnected the satellite, and the channel reception disappears right away!
Old 07-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
yep mirek is right.......i FAIL

Just got home, disconnected the satellite, and the channel reception disappears right away!
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Now ... back to the original question. Does such a thing exist (decent TV over internet)?
Old 07-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #14
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:

Now ... back to the original question. Does such a thing exist (decent TV over internet)?
yes, and its very decent .. My brother in law pays for online sports tv over the internet and he gets it in HD .. runs smooth too .. I was very surprised (Dying to find some free HD channels over the net)

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #15
mirek
6th Gear Member

Quote:

Hulu.com ? I don't think anytthing exist with LIVE tv, except for NHL.com which is pretty good quality.
mirek is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: