Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #46
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
C'mon Adam, we all know that driving any form of "Automatic" immediately equates to your genetalia changing to a vag.

Don't try and fight for auto's just cause your daily is an Auto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_POWER View Post
How can you call one of the best dual clutch gearbox an auto?
Hey, you leave my Civic out of this! Besides, my name isn't on the ownership. Genetalia remains intact.

But this is my point! I was talking to my girl about this yesterday, how automotive purists won't let go of aged preconceptions despite the fact that technology is becoming a game changer in the automotive industry. Sure, 5-speed in your hand feels more authentic and sportier than pretty much any typical automatic, but these new systems are in a new league. A dual clutch gearbox and paddle shifting isn't the same as an autotragic... it will kick your ass any day. It used to be that a skilled driver could run through the gears faster than any automatic could, but these days you can't compete. The car can do it faster than we can now.

Get with the times, old man!! And leave my vagina out of this.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #47
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
Hey, you leave my Civic out of this! Besides, my name isn't on the ownership. Genetalia remains intact.

But this is my point! I was talking to my girl about this yesterday, how automotive purists won't let go of aged preconceptions despite the fact that technology is becoming a game changer in the automotive industry. Sure, 5-speed in your hand feels more authentic and sportier than pretty much any typical automatic, but these new systems are in a new league. A dual clutch gearbox and paddle shifting isn't the same as an autotragic... it will kick your ass any day. It used to be that a skilled driver could run through the gears faster than any automatic could, but these days you can't compete. The car can do it faster than we can now.

Get with the times, old man!! And leave my vagina out of this.

this is where lovers of autos lose me.. Yes, a car can be faster and the quickest thing around the ring but that does not equate to the real world..

I rather have fun and a tad slower Manual shift car than a Super Fast and feel like a jerk just having to step on the gas and not worry about anything else Autotragic. Autos lose ther appeal after the first 30 minutes.

The best thing about manuals ( for me) is heal toe shifting.. Nothing makes you feel warm and squishy inside like after throwing perfect shifts.. and not having some stupid compture do it for you.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #48
ROCKETMAN
6th Gear Member

Yes.
Its true, new age "automatic" shifting on high performance cars is quicker. But The few tenths you loose in full on acceleration, you get WAAAYY more driving everyday and fully controlling your car.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #49
Fel
Not Banned

....yes yes, we all love driving stick. That's not the point though!

I love driving stick as much as the next guy, really I do! It's a unique experience that can't be replicated with technology, and shouldn't die out.

But that's not what's being discussed. This entire topic is about why a GT-R is FAST. You guys just admitted that, although not as fun, this gearbox is FAST. This is a discussion about numbers, not feelings.

Bottom line is, while you're having fun driving your 911 or ZR1 or what have you, you will be having fun behind a GT-R.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #50
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Quote:

I love driving stick as much as the next guy, really I do! It's a unique experience that can't be replicated with technology, and shouldn't die out.

But that's not what's being discussed. This entire topic is about why a GT-R is FAST. You guys just admitted that, although not as fun, this gearbox is FAST. This is a discussion about numbers, not feelings.

Bottom line is, while you're having fun driving your 911 or ZR1 or what have you, you will be having fun behind a GT-R.
That is a sacrifice I would be willing to take.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #51
ROCKETMAN
6th Gear Member

Quote:

ZR-1 is faster.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #52
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
ZR-1 is faster.

You see zr1 is FAST but not faster.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #53
mudmojo
2nd Gear Member

Faster denotes velocity
Quicker denotes time.

I'll take quick over fast (as it suits my needs better as they stand today) but damn, that ZR1 sound is sex! The GTR sound is sterile in comparison.

It may depend on how many cars you have/want/can afford/project in your stable. If I had to pick a dedicated track car amongst the pair, it would be the ZR-1. If I need a track car to also do street and winter duty, then it would be the GTR.

E39 M5
mudmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #54
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmojo View Post
Faster denotes velocity
Quicker denotes time.

I'll take quick over fast (as it suits my needs better as they stand today) but damn, that ZR1 sound is sex! The GTR sound is sterile in comparison.

It may depend on how many cars you have/want/can afford/project in your stable. If I had to pick a dedicated track car amongst the pair, it would be the ZR-1. If I need a track car to also do street and winter duty, then it would be the GTR.

True but for additional 5g you can get hks 570 hp you will be almost as fast in straight line with zr1 , BUT listen to this sweet noise it makes

watch at the end as he does some drive by's

and here it is gt-r with hks mod vs stock zr1

Last edited by AMG_POWER; 06-25-2009 at 02:48 PM.
AMG_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #55
ROCKETMAN
6th Gear Member

I meant quicker.
Nurburgring
ZR-1 - 7.26.4
GT-R - 7.26.7

And Nissan refuses to give out detailed information about the car..
Meaning running with non production boost.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #56
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
I meant quicker.
Nurburgring
ZR-1 - 7.26.4
GT-R - 7.26.7

And Nissan refuses to give out detailed information about the car..
Meaning running with non production boost.

So what?
I doubt any of these cars will have standard boost! That is the cool thing about boosted cars! Easy to obtain more power!
Besides how do you know the Vette was running standard boost?

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #57
ROCKETMAN
6th Gear Member

So what??
umm, because it would be cheating, that's what. To call something "production" when in fact it is not production. How about that?

Because they did not hide their car after the run.
And im not gonna say i know this 100%, but i'd say to modify a supercharged car cannot be done on the fly as a turbocharged car.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:12 PM   #58
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

Listen, the times posted by both cars should not be considered or compared. In order to get an unbiased test time, the car's should be used straight out of the factory (no downforce adjustments, suspension adjustments, and engine/tranny tweaks) and driven by the same driver. Sabine Schmitz would probably be the best person for this job, aka "ring-expert". Other than that, stop comparing apples and oranges, If I had 3" thick glasses I probably would take the playstation GTR, but if i want to flex pure muscle then the killer-sounding V8 is the way to go, regardless... e30 m3 pwns both cars

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #59
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
So what??
umm, because it would be cheating, that's what. To call something "production" when in fact it is not production. How about that?

Because they did not hide their car after the run.
And im not gonna say i know this 100%, but i'd say to modify a supercharged car cannot be done on the fly as a turbocharged car.
Depends on the supercharger.
However there is no indication or proof that Nissan did that.
Even if they did allot of companies did that. Ford did it with their RS turbo.
Alfa Romeo did it....
lots of companies.

In any case my arguement was that for the average person to get in these two cars it will be easier to do a good lap time on a track with the GTR.

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #60
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroE36 View Post
Listen, the times posted by both cars should not be considered or compared. In order to get an unbiased test time, the car's should be used straight out of the factory (no downforce adjustments, suspension adjustments, and engine/tranny tweaks) and driven by the same driver. Sabine Schmitz would probably be the best person for this job, aka "ring-expert". Other than that, stop comparing apples and oranges, If I had 3" thick glasses I probably would take the playstation GTR, but if i want to flex pure muscle then the killer-sounding V8 is the way to go, regardless... e30 m3 pwns both cars
GT-R for example uses the downforce it was designed in wind tunnels, on a delivery of Gt-r you have 2 options for your alignment track or regular. So out of dealership i'd say gt-r slightly more track based car although heavy and wont lap more then 6-8 laps... or so i heard.

I still love this car and i think its raised the yardstick very high. Would be interesting to see what Porsche and other car manufacturers will answer with.

Last edited by AMG_POWER; 06-25-2009 at 09:21 PM.
AMG_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: