Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
mazdaRXwhat
2nd Gear Member

e39 electric fan

Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with installing an electric cooling fan, replacing the standard clutch fan. Also where would I get one? I recently replaced my rad after it blew on the 401 and now notice that on hot days and in traffic the fan currently in place does f**k all, so me thinks its time to uprgrade.

Any info greatly appreciated!

Cheers
mazdaRXwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

The hot weather isn't even here yet!

If the fan clutch is good and the system was bled properly you have something else going on. Spending good money to upgrade something that is not be broken may not solve the problem that you are having. When was the Waterpump and electronic thermostat replaced? The original BMW waterpumps have an impellar that is made of plastic and has been known to slip on the metal shaft when they get old.

Last edited by MLue1; 06-08-2009 at 12:22 AM.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
BoostedMX
All Eyes On Me

This is the reason why you should get an electric fan.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=473312
Old 06-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
mazdaRXwhat
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
The hot weather isn't even here yet!

If the fan clutch is good and the system was bled properly you have something else going on. Spending good money to upgrade something that is not be broken may not solve the problem that you are having. When was the Waterpump and electronic thermostat replaced? The original BMW waterpumps have an impellar that is made of plastic and has been known to slip on the metal shaft when they get old.

Well the radiator was replaced a week or so ago, and the car has been throwing an error code for the thermostat, so I know it does need replacing. As for the water pump...I really have no idea but was planning on doing that at the same time with the thermostat.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
Max_VQ
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaRXwhat View Post
Well the radiator was replaced a week or so ago, and the car has been throwing an error code for the thermostat, so I know it does need replacing. As for the water pump...I really have no idea but was planning on doing that at the same time with the thermostat.
For what it is worth:
Last year on bimerfest & bimmerforums there were a few E39s that caught on fire. The owner's believed it started around the thermostat area.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=250344
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=366552
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=306110
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=255384

When my thermostat needed to be changed, I did it as soon as I could, just in case...
Max_VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
mazdaRXwhat
2nd Gear Member

wow dude thanks for that.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
Max_VQ
3rd Gear Member

From 2001 - 2003 the aux fan has a built in motor controller and use a PWM (pulse width modulated) signal to control it. The fan has 3 wires, +12 volt, ground, and the DME control. (PWM signal)

I have purchased a 16" Spal electric fan, and during the fall I hope to designed a motor controller that uses the DME PWM signal and also provide and over-ride function. (aka a switch by the driver)
Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 AM   #8
mazdaRXwhat
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_VQ View Post
From 2001 - 2003 the aux fan has a built in motor controller and use a PWM (pulse width modulated) signal to control it. The fan has 3 wires, +12 volt, ground, and the DME control. (PWM signal)

I have purchased a 16" Spal electric fan, and during the fall I hope to designed a motor controller that uses the DME PWM signal and also provide and over-ride function. (aka a switch by the driver)
Sexxxy. Let me/everyone know how that works out..you could prolly make a killing patenting that and selling it!
Old 06-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
Max_VQ
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaRXwhat View Post
Sexxxy. Let me/everyone know how that works out..you could prolly make a killing patenting that and selling it!
If I do get to spend time on it, and figure it out, it will be public domain and you can make your own.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: