Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Sunroof Stuck

So I got home from work yesterday and the sunroof got stuck about 4" from wide open while closing it. All the documented sunroof adjustments and such require the sunroof to be in the vent position...

I've tried to take as much apart as I can, but can't get too far with the sunroof mostly in the roof. Any ideas?

The motor and such are okay; I'm thinking something is jammed.
cirrusblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

You may have to close the sun roof and then open in the vent position to see if anything is stuck in the tracks. You may have dragged something that was already there back into the guides. If you can do this you can drop the SR cover down and without having to open the SR you can slide the cover back into the body to expose the inner area of the SR.

2nd Option: if the first didn't work. You should have an allen key tool in the trunk took box.
Take the inspection panel out and manually crank the sun roof back into place. and then try the 1st option over again. good luck

One last thing to check. you may have snapped the cable which retracts and closes the roof.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the reply, but the sunroof is stuck open, ie. it doesn't close and it can't reach the vent position.

As stated earlier, the motor is good and even assisting the sunroof (pulling it), it doesn't budge. Cranking it manually would yield the same results as using the motor.

Cables are both good.

Any other ideas? This is gonna be a tricky one... I've got spare parts from my parts car, so a destructive solution would be possible if I could figure out a way that would work.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
e30jones
3rd Gear Member

I have the same problem, but mine is stuck shut all the way. I think one of the arms has broken. My plan was to cut a hole throught the top of the panel so I can get an allen wrench in to undo the bolts that hold it to the arms, then lift the entire panel out. I guess you could also try to rip the sunroof liner out too if you can access the front of it, and then see what you can see from there. Either way, you're gonna need new parts.
e30jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

At least yours is stuck shut! I'm not driving my car at the moment because of the theft/weather issues.

I think I might try ripping out the sunroof liner... I've got a spare.

If that doesn't work, might end up removing the headliner to access the rear portion of the sunroof... that's a PITA, I'm hoping it doesn't come to that
Old 05-23-2009, 01:34 AM   #6
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

If your good at pulling windows, it won't be hard to drop the rear end of the head liner, just pull the rear quarter windows and the rear window and you should be fine.

But if you have a spare sunroof liner I would start there.

Steve
Old 05-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Good news everyone, the sunroof freed up when I riped out the sunroof liner. Still not sure exactly what hung up, but it's sliding freely again after a good clean and lube.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: