Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
mirek
6th Gear Member

Removing light scratches from car

Long story short, a lady wrote on my door in sidewalk chalk. The chalk came out, but the light scratches are still there and you can still see what it said.

What should I use to remove it, clay bar? Polish?
mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Trekz
4th Gear Member

lets hear the whole story, if its just scratches on the clearcoat im thinkin you could just polish them out
Suspension Mods: Front Strut bar, Eibach spings, Billstein Struts.
Interior Mods: M3 buckets, Reverse Glow gauges, Momo steering wheel, M3 Shift Knob, M3 Headliner
Trekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
mirek
6th Gear Member

The whole story was that my girlfriend parked on the street near her mom's house for 6 hours. There were no signs or anything on the street. Someone that lives on the street left me a fake parking ticket parking on my windshield, and then wrote on my door October 12, 12:15 Friday.

The chalk came out, but the scratches were left there, I assume it was on the clear coat.

I went back furious and found out who it was, confronted her, told her to pay, she said no, her old husband pushed me off the porch, I called the cops, they went to her house, and she's going to pay for this.

I took it to a detailing shop they quoted me 30$ to fix it, so it's not major straches, just clearcoat I guess. So now how do I fix this, she's sending me a cheque for 60$.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
VSanj
6th Gear Member

^^Gettin pushed around by old men................terrible homie......just terrible...lol

Calling the cops on the old man.........priceless!

You go take that 60 dolla cheque all the way to the bank gangsta!
Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 AM   #5
sreeja
1st Gear Newbie

I think polishing and waxination could remove the light scratching of car.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

If it's light, try Meguilars scratch removal and a microfibre cloth. Other than that, machine buff is best.

Suprised you didn't charge the old dude with assult if he touched you.
slemmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:10 AM   #7
EUROVISION
ghetto dude

Get those mother****ers to pay for a new paint job!
EUROVISION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
carjoe
6th Gear Member

To do right, you'll need an orbital.

I'd start with scratch-X or meguiar's #9 and then see what happens. Clay bar won't do anythign for you. It'll take crap out of the paint but leave swirls.

This is a good opportunity to get the cra detailed before winter! Oh wait, you're on the West coast.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:14 AM   #9
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

bring the car by my shop, and i will polish it out for you no charge as it doesnt really take long time to do it anyway.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
mirek
6th Gear Member

damn you, you know i'm in Vancouver that's why you offered!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #11
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirek View Post
damn you, you know i'm in Vancouver that's why you offered!
oh shoot, I always thought that you were in GTA for some odd reason.
You have been on this board for a while and I always thought that you were in Toronto area. Well too bad

In that case, i'll tell you exactly what you would need to do.
If the scratches are deep enough that it penetrated through the clear to the core(base) then well, there isnt really any cure for it unless you go out all the way to fill up the scratches with touch up paint and clear the area and wetsanding.

Or If the scratches are deep but not like previous deep and you dont have an access to rotary buffer(orbital is just like doing it by hand only machine do the job for you), then just go to CT and grab 1500 grit and 2000 grit sand papers. Soak them in the warm water for about 20 mins. Then use car shampoo soap and water mixed in water sprayer bottle. While spraying the soap with left arm to the damaged area, use the right hand to *carefully* sand it with 1500 grit(dont use force just let it glide with soap).

Then carefully examine the area to see if the scartches are still there, then go with higher grade to finish up the area. At this point, after a wash, it would be very dull and hazed. ScratchX by maguire, use it with mf towel to rub it in opposite direction of when you sanded. The scratchX, you have to use it little + often as its aggresivness fades gradully so you have to keep on pouring it little by little.

It should have taken out the scratches. Follow it with cleaners and wax to protect the surface.

I dont use the over the counter products but this is what most people could do from CDN tire.

I gave some magic stuff to Gamite when he was over at my shop, he was amazed at what we have at the shop. hahaha.

Oh also, I offered you a service because with an access to a rotary, it really takes about 5 min to take out.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:05 AM   #12
mirek
6th Gear Member

I was in Toronto, moved out West last year. Thanks man, I will try all that! Appreciate the tips!
Old 05-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #13
thussein
1st Gear Newbie

I have couple of scratches on my car, nothing major. do u mind letting me know where is your store?
thussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Take a mild cutting polish with a slow speed buff; I would use sponge wheel but will take longer and will eliminate most swirl marks. Throw some wax on and you're done. If you want to get to it faster a fine wool wheel at low speed. You have to keep in mind the difference between cutting and polishing. You need to cut first to get the scratches out and then speed the wheel up to polish. You can cut and polish with the same product as long as it is very fine grit. Keep in mind the wool will leave swirl marks and then you have to add a step to remove those. may take 15-30min at the very most. TAKE YOUR TIME!!!! :-)
good luck

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
meanm3
1st Gear Newbie

sounds like the top part of your clear was scratched a bit, if that's the case a good buff with a power buffer and some good wax / polish should do fine. Polish it up with a micro fiber and it should be good to go, worked for a couple minor scratches I had on my trunk after the gf tried to open the bloody thing with my key while she was smashed
meanm3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: