Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
kruler
4th Gear Member

can I use the stock speaker wiring?

I'm about to install a system in my car consisting of the following:

front: MB Quart RCE 213 components
rear: BSW adapters w/ DLS 6x9s
Kicker ZX750.4 4 ch amp (125x4 RMS)

What I'd like to know is can I use the factory wires going from the stock amp to the speakers, or is the gauge too small for the upgraded wattage?
kruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
Randy
2nd Gear Member

I dont "know" per say. But I too am installing a set of amplified components, and I'll be running all new wiring. with all the $$ I've put into this beast, I don't want the thickness/purity of the speaker wire to be its downfall.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
eta Epsilon
3rd Gear Member

+1 on that.
It will take you 1 or 2 hours to do so and the wires are not expensive.
It's worth it!
08' Kia Rondo, Girlfriend's car
eta Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
spooling
2nd Gear Member

+2 run new thicker gauge wires
spooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Randy
2nd Gear Member

wait, halt.. im rethinking this. I've heard recently that signal cable (ie. speaker wire) doesn't require the 18 AWG wire that we usually use to upgrade it... apparently its all overkill. The car's original wiring diagrams are available off of forums, and can be tapped into and utilized to run after market equipment - several people have done this, and claim there is no sound loss/electrical issues. this type of jig would be cleaner, easier .. smarter?

talk to me.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Blades
Your opinion is to long

best way to find out .. run the speakers loud and if the wire started to get hot .. change it .. otherwise your fine. A better wire may improve sound quality as well.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
kruler
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
wait, halt.. im rethinking this. I've heard recently that signal cable (ie. speaker wire) doesn't require the 18 AWG wire that we usually use to upgrade it... apparently its all overkill. The car's original wiring diagrams are available off of forums, and can be tapped into and utilized to run after market equipment - several people have done this, and claim there is no sound loss/electrical issues. this type of jig would be cleaner, easier .. smarter?

talk to me.
I just installed the speakers and used the factory wiring. BMW used 16AWG for the woofers and 14AWG for the mids and tweets. This is more than sufficient. The wire is also much better quality than anything you would buy in the aftermarket. Its also nice to have all the wires colour coded for reference.
kruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:51 AM   #8
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Hows it sound?

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Using stock wiring can be done, but they are getting so old, when I did that back in 2001 I had to use a ground loop isolator to get rid of the rpm whine, and you lose resolution doing that.

I'd go with laying new wires and cutting out as much of that crap as possible, including that dumb left right balancer in the dash.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:14 AM   #10
Randy
2nd Gear Member

stock wire works well

I did mine (E46) this past summer, and never posted my results - so here it is:

Used stock wiring with amplified components in each door. and the sound is amazing. i won't claim to be an audiophile, but I have a decent ear, and to me, the sound is brilliant.

even my gf noticed how clear and realistic it all sounded ... and she doesn't usually notice anything (related to the car).

I did have some RPM whine, but to correct that I simply rerouted the RCA cable from the deck so it avoided the (+) lead from the battery to the engine (along right side flood panel of the car).

Conclusions: stock wiring is fine (and colour coded in a logical way), I have a (corrected) .jpeg for the wire colour codes used in my car.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #11
es175
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:

I did have some RPM whine, but to correct that I simply rerouted the RCA cable from the deck so it avoided the (+) lead from the battery to the engine (along right side flood panel of the car).
So are you saying that you avoided the (+) power lead by running the RCA cable along the right side? Or does the (+) power lead run along the right side?
es175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #12
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

ill be using my stock wiring to do mine, wheneveri get around to it lol. hoping this will be sufficient.
ill post up results
tg07lq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:33 AM   #13
Randy
2nd Gear Member

the battery lead runs along the right side of my car (the battery is in the right side of the trunk as well). I ran my rca cables along the left side of the car (driver's side).
Old 11-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
es175
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
the battery lead runs along the right side of my car (the battery is in the right side of the trunk as well). I ran my rca cables along the left side of the car (driver's side).
Thanks for the reply.

How did you get the RCA cables pass the piece of plastic trim where the trunk and hood release is located?
es175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #15
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

that piece will come off. do you ahve a bently manual ? its pretty simple run in these cars. pull it all off, fish it through and voila your done! even has grommets to pass through to the trunk haha
tg07lq is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: