Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
tlinkletter
2nd Gear Member
 
tlinkletter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 268
E39 Suspension?

What would be the best upgrade for an e39 528i. There are quite a few combos out there. I just want to stiffen it up and lower it a bit. Nothing too serious. It's a driver not a track car. Bilstein with H&R sport prob the best? or are Eibach's good too. I see a lot of Votland springs comboed up with Gabriel and Bilstein on ebay but all the rest seem to drop less in the rear end but Votlands are the same all around. Any reason for that or are Votlands crap?
tlinkletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.
 
TheMadChigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Durty Shwa
Posts: 3,096
Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlinkletter View Post
What would be the best upgrade for an e39 528i. There are quite a few combos out there. I just want to stiffen it up and lower it a bit. Nothing too serious. It's a driver not a track car. Bilstein with H&R sport prob the best? or are Eibach's good too. I see a lot of Votland springs comboed up with Gabriel and Bilstein on ebay but all the rest seem to drop less in the rear end but Votlands are the same all around. Any reason for that or are Votlands crap?
Vogtland is not bad actually, most suspension companies are the same, they all get their springs from supplier with their own spec, but from my experience, H&R rides real good with big wheels, and Koni is lot more better than Bilstein.
__________________
TheMadChigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
tlinkletter
2nd Gear Member
 
tlinkletter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 268
Really? I always thought Bilstein was the best. I'm looking at going with 19" so not too crazy a wheel size but big enough.
tlinkletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.
 
TheMadChigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Durty Shwa
Posts: 3,096
Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlinkletter View Post
Really? I always thought Bilstein was the best. I'm looking at going with 19" so not too crazy a wheel size but big enough.
Bilstein shocks can be harsh and bouncy, they do make kick ass coilover systems.
__________________
TheMadChigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
myndgone
..... kLaSSe~1 .....
 
myndgone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Brampton
Posts: 2,942
Send a message via MSN to myndgone
I have H&R sports with OEM sport shocks on 18's, nice drop and the ride is just like with OEM sport springs, no complaints whatsoever...

Here's couple of pics that may help you decide
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 540n4.jpg (139.6 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg 540n14.jpg (122.7 KB, 295 views)
myndgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
Steve@ASPTuning
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 288
We can provide you with financing on our coilover systems if you wish.

We carry:
Blistein
Ruff
H&R
Koni

Thanks,
Steven
ASPTuning
Steve@ASPTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
Qube
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TORONTO
Posts: 1,055
That's low...

I've got H&R Sports on OE... and it's a heavier 540...
Chose the H&R Sports as I wanted to eliminate most of the gap, but not get slammed look or rough feel.

.

EDIT: nevermind, it's not as far off as I thought, though yours does seem a hair lower...

.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52.jpg (260.4 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg 51.jpg (158.7 KB, 281 views)
__________________

.

Last edited by Qube; 04-29-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
e39m_dream
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North York
Posts: 71
I have the original M suspension II springs on my 530i, for 114k km.

Do I really need to change springs when changing stock shocks to Koni Sports?

At least I found the spring rates between OEM sport and H&R are the same:

Stock 105 0 335 0
OE Sport 200 +/- .5 380 +/- .5
H&R Sport 200 -1.5 380 - .75 to -1
Race - DTM Setup 345 -2 515 -1.25
H&R Coilover 340 -75 to -2 380 - .75 to -1
Autocross 500 -2 700 -2

I wonder if I go with H&R sport, the car will be lowered. Isn't this going to change to suspension geometry?

Last edited by e39m_dream; 04-29-2009 at 10:46 AM.
e39m_dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
tlinkletter
2nd Gear Member
 
tlinkletter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 268
I'm running an early edition 97 528i with original shocks. Not even the sport ones. Thinkin it would be cheaper to go with a full coil over then try and buy OE sports to wrap a good lowering spring around. Maybe Koni's be a good option. Seen that Bav auto offers a coil over for pretty cheap. Anyone know what manufacturer build that setup?
tlinkletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
bimmerjoe
Yagerbombs/skanks
 
bimmerjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: markham
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube View Post
That's low...

I've got H&R Sports on OE... and it's a heavier 540...
Chose the H&R Sports as I wanted to eliminate most of the gap, but not get slammed look or rough feel.

.

EDIT: nevermind, it's not as far off as I thought, though yours does seem a hair lower...

.


JASON i have the same damn rims!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! are they axxis?
__________________
1999 323i-sold
2001 540i M- Sport
bimmerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
Paul540/m3
BMW Individual
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,807
Send a message via MSN to Paul540/m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlinkletter View Post
I'm running an early edition 97 528i with original shocks. Not even the sport ones. Thinkin it would be cheaper to go with a full coil over then try and buy OE sports to wrap a good lowering spring around. Maybe Koni's be a good option. Seen that Bav auto offers a coil over for pretty cheap. Anyone know what manufacturer build that setup?

I have a set of OE sport shocks if you interested. Thye have approx 40K on them. They were taken out an replaced with coilovers.
__________________
Paul540/m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.
 
TheMadChigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Durty Shwa
Posts: 3,096
Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlinkletter View Post
I'm running an early edition 97 528i with original shocks. Not even the sport ones. Thinkin it would be cheaper to go with a full coil over then try and buy OE sports to wrap a good lowering spring around. Maybe Koni's be a good option. Seen that Bav auto offers a coil over for pretty cheap. Anyone know what manufacturer build that setup?
could be anyone, now days, most companies don't build jack that they sell, even KW don't make everything that they sell, if you want everything in one stuff, get BC suspension, quality is better than Tein.

If you want to play around, go my route, I got GC with Koni yellows, you can get Yellows for about $600 + the GC, I came up to $1k and I can do this and still go to track days!

__________________
TheMadChigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
tlinkletter
2nd Gear Member
 
tlinkletter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 268
So I think I've narrowed it down to either RUF Intermediate's from ASP, The Bav Auto set or NEX from ebay? Any knowledge of any of those sets?
tlinkletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #14
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.
 
TheMadChigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Durty Shwa
Posts: 3,096
Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlinkletter View Post
So I think I've narrowed it down to either RUF Intermediate's from ASP, The Bav Auto set or NEX from ebay? Any knowledge of any of those sets?
Ruff has been around for a long time, they made a lot of bushings, camber plates etc, they are from Taiwan and have been supplying other larger companies, their factory is ISO9001 approved, they are good company and people.

Nex is also a company from Taiwan, but they are not as specific as Ruff, I don't think they actually make the stuff themselves.

out of the two, I'd definitely go with Ruff.
__________________
TheMadChigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #15
Oyster
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 652
Send a message via MSN to Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@ASPTuning View Post
We can provide you with financing on our coilover systems if you wish.

We carry:
Blistein
Ruff
H&R
Koni

Thanks,
Steven
ASPTuning
how much is shipping for the basic ruff coil over for e39 540 2000?

to toronto?

Thanks
Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.