Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
jmack
2nd Gear Member

engine almost stalls in colder weather

Just sorta put this together when driving today.. When it's colder outside (below 10 degrees maybe or around there) the engine is more prone to almost dying when depressing the clutch in 1st when I am in stop and go type traffic. The RPM needle will fall almost to zero and then bounce back up but come close to stalling out. Seems to happen regardless of whether the car is fully warmed up or not.

What could this be attributed to?
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Just sorta put this together when driving today.. When it's colder outside (below 10 degrees maybe or around there) the engine is more prone to almost dying when depressing the clutch in 1st when I am in stop and go type traffic. The RPM needle will fall almost to zero and then bounce back up but come close to stalling out. Seems to happen regardless of whether the car is fully warmed up or not.

What could this be attributed to?
If there are no codes or CEL then maybe vacumn leak or oil from a bad CCV/OSV plugging up the vacumn lines. Careful driving... cause if the engine cuts out you loose the effeciency of the power brakes.

Take the engine cover off and do a visual inspection of the vacumn lines and the MAF plumbing. I know when I did my valley pan project recently the line going to the valve for the Secondary Air Pump just under the MAF was cracked and fell apart in my hands... I had lots of hose left to enable me to cut out the bad piece out.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
E39er
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
If there are no codes or CEL then maybe vacumn leak or oil from a bad CCV/OSV plugging up the vacumn lines. Careful driving... cause if the engine cuts out you loose the effeciency of the power brakes.

Take the engine cover off and do a visual inspection of the vacumn lines and the MAF plumbing. I know when I did my valley pan project recently the line going to the valve for the Secondary Air Pump just under the MAF was cracked and fell apart in my hands... I had lots of hose left to enable me to cut out the bad piece out.
Thanks for the answer. I was having the same problem and I'm going to do this check myself as well.

Greatly appreciate it !
E39er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

No garantees but here are a few more things to check:

1) Make sure the oil dip stick is inserted properly, my car idles rough when the dipstick is not in properly... test by pulling out the dipstick as the car idles. The dip stick seal is supposed to be good or it causes problems with the routing of the internal gases within the engine, this may be one of those maintenance items that may come up as the E39s ages. There is the o-ring seal for the base of the dip stick tube and engine block and the 2 o-rings on the dip stick it self.

2) check and clean throttle body butterfly. While you have the butterfly open you can shine a light into the intake manifold plenum to check to see if it's covered in oil, if it is your CCV/OSV is gone.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: