Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
W2WDETAILING
Banned

e30 rear hub removal...

ok so i had to buy new backing plates since mine were rotted now i cant access the 2 stupid fkn bolts by the ebrake mechanisim. i want to take the hub off and put the backing plate on properly instead of cutting it and welding it. now what do i need to do this how is that stupid hub connected in there the axle bolt is off i took the brake disc off do i have to get a puller or something? i found a website with pics but it wasnt very helpfull any tips/info on how to do it??
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:27 AM   #2
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
It's gonna be hard, but you need to find a pipe or something the same size diameter of the rear part of the hub and hammer the hub out from underneath...You will most likely destroy the wheel bearing in doing so get ready to change the wheel bearings as well.

Tip: Use a BFH you can fit and swing under thurr.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
W2WDETAILING
Banned

ok but could i dis connect the shaft from the dif and hammer that out? thats what im not sure about? id rather not have to replace the berrings because ive spent way too much on the car and i dont have time to **** with that i want to finish it for the opener aswell
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:19 AM   #4
echo
e30 slave

If you hammer (or even pull with the correct tool) the bearing out, chances are the inner race will come out and leave the outer race in the assembly, or the outer race will come and leave the inner on the stub axle (depending on how you do it). Either way that's a new wheel bearing.

As far as time goes - if you are pulling the bearing out, why no treplcae it while you are there - same time to put a new one in as the old one.

Don't hammer on the axle.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

As I said before....if it ain't broke....don't fix it....but I guess we all gotta learn the hard way some time...lol..If my bmw tech friends are telling the job of pulling the bearing is a bitch and these guys have tons of tools, the facility and experience...wouldn't you try to avoid this job at all possibility?? what makes you think you can do it faster or easier??? But hey!! it's your wallet and your time. :-)
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

The wheel bearing is separate from the hub at the rears, that's why the bearing is only 40$ for the rear and you need to buy a whole new hub assembly for the front 200$.

Big Hammer.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post
As I said before....if it ain't broke....don't fix it....but I guess we all gotta learn the hard way some time...lol..If my bmw tech friends are telling the job of pulling the bearing is a bitch and these guys have tons of tools, the facility and experience...wouldn't you try to avoid this job at all possibility?? what makes you think you can do it faster or easier??? But hey!! it's your wallet and your time. :-)
Hell, I'd bitch about it too if I was only getting paid flat rate. I've seen so much dealer work that is so hack its ridiculous. Plus lots of the techs at the dealer are lazy SOBs. Stop trying to make the guy shortcut his work dude.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Some people have good luck with a slide hammer.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
Some people have good luck with a slide hammer.
YES! a slide hammer works very well too....and plus it feels like your doing some intesnse e30 workoutz yoh.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
OneTrack
1st Gear Newbie

Generally, special tools are needed to pull the rear bearing out. One source is SIR tools http://www.sirtools.com/bmw_page_3.htm B 90 BMW KIT is the one I think. Not sure if there is anywhere you can rent this tool...

OneTrackMind www.onetrack.ca
OneTrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #11
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
use a torch and cut the bearing in 2 places. Falls out in a couple minutes. Be skilled with a torch before you try this.

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Not all techs "hack" the jobs!! There are many that I know of that still work with integrity.
Yes, they also work flat rate. I know because I worked with them for many years.
If you recall "Beach Auto Ltd" one of the first BMW dealerships in Toronto, maybe even Ontario. People came from everywhere to get their cars serviced. Of course at that time techs weren't paid flat rate. And e30's were the rage and anyone who owned a bmw back then was considered an "Elite" and even called a snob at some point or even worse...(Grin) But these tech who worked hourly learned to adapt and use discretion at what jobs they can take shortcuts without compromising the job. Lots of people on this forum just "talk" and then there are those who work/worked in the environment first hand and speak from experience such as myself.
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #13
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Give me a slide hammer and an air hammer, i can do a wheel bearing in under an hour. Wonder what the book rate on that job is.....can't be less than 2hr.

Get the biggest slide hammer you can find, don't be gentle, bang the hell out of it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: