Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
hellrot_M3
3rd Gear Member
 
hellrot_M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brampton
Posts: 483
Importing 1995 bmw m3?

okay guys here is the deal. I am debating on whether to sell my M3. However, the car is currently registered and insured in the states. Question is when can i import the car into Canada? I know that 95 were inadmissible for some reason, but the rule is that if the car is 15 year old, it can be imported apparently. So since my build date is 10/94, can i import it in October of 09? maybe more knowledgeable people in this area can help me out?

also, i know the question will come up with regards to me selling it in states, however i do not want to do this because i have dumped a lot of cash into this car and i doubt i will get anything selling it there. Plus the potential buyer has the advantage of talking to RMP which will vouch for the mint condition of this car.


thanks
derek
__________________


RMP Motors For The Win!!!!!
hellrot_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Wannabe
Northwood.
 
Wannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,969
how long have you driven the car and resided in canada with US ins. and regi?
__________________
Current - 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
2010 Jeep Patriot North All-season
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
2002 Dodge Durango SXT
1985 BMW 325e
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1995 Nissan Altima SE
1994 Mazda MX-6 RS
1984 Buick Riviera
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
hellrot_M3
3rd Gear Member
 
hellrot_M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brampton
Posts: 483
i reside in both countries so its about half and half i guess
__________________


RMP Motors For The Win!!!!!
hellrot_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
lvan
6th Gear Member
 
lvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Location
Posts: 5,178
Send a message via MSN to lvan
Also check what's the cut of date/year for BMW letter and other strings.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Trouble65
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrot_M3 View Post
okay guys here is the deal. I am debating on whether to sell my M3. However, the car is currently registered and insured in the states. Question is when can i import the car into Canada? I know that 95 were inadmissible for some reason, but the rule is that if the car is 15 year old, it can be imported apparently. So since my build date is 10/94, can i import it in October of 09? maybe more knowledgeable people in this area can help me out?

also, i know the question will come up with regards to me selling it in states, however i do not want to do this because i have dumped a lot of cash into this car and i doubt i will get anything selling it there. Plus the potential buyer has the advantage of talking to RMP which will vouch for the mint condition of this car.


thanks
derek
I imported my 95 M3 about 11 years ago from Phoenix Arizona. Never had any problems just had to install daytime running lights and child restraint system. All of the info you need is on this website http://www.riv.ca
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
hellrot_M3
3rd Gear Member
 
hellrot_M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brampton
Posts: 483
i checked the riv website but when you look for the bmw that you can import, it says that the 1995 bmw m3's are inadmissible. This is the problem i am having. Maybe the rules have changed since you brought your car over.
__________________


RMP Motors For The Win!!!!!
hellrot_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Trouble65
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrot_M3 View Post
i checked the riv website but when you look for the bmw that you can import, it says that the 1995 bmw m3's are inadmissible. This is the problem i am having. Maybe the rules have changed since you brought your car over.
They might have. The best course of action is to call RIV and ask them why they are not admissable.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
344i
5th Gear Member
 
344i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: .
Posts: 1,122
They changed the RIV list, it should be fully admissable.
344i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
ScotcH
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,859
95 is listed as inadmissible. It was changed a couple years ago (I brought mine in about 3 years ago, when it only needed mods). Trying to reason with them will be a brick wall ... unless you get in on the residency thing, I think you're SOL.
__________________
2007 BMW 328Xi Touring, 6 speed
ScotcH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
344i
5th Gear Member
 
344i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: .
Posts: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
95 is listed as inadmissible. It was changed a couple years ago (I brought mine in about 3 years ago, when it only needed mods). Trying to reason with them will be a brick wall ... unless you get in on the residency thing, I think you're SOL.
eugh your right i just checked it again. SO much for "new" standards....

What about cars from europe? How does it work now, there is no european list, only a US riv list?
344i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #11
ScotcH
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,859
Pretty much ALL euro cars are inadmissible unless they are > 15 years old.
__________________
2007 BMW 328Xi Touring, 6 speed
ScotcH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
propr'one
op sucks cock
 
propr'one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: T.
Posts: 17,683
Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^which the 95 m3 is, or will be very soon depending on build date.

Derek, i told you when you got this car to wait til '09, cause once its 15 years old it will be easy to import. It is (or almost is) 15 years old. Once it is, bringing it over will be very simple.
__________________
d1s bulb canada

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #13
hellrot_M3
3rd Gear Member
 
hellrot_M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brampton
Posts: 483
your right ivan but i am anxious to pick up an E46 M3. oh well might have to keep it till October and then list or just sell it in states. I will see.
__________________


RMP Motors For The Win!!!!!
hellrot_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.