Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

325i e30 starting issue

Car seems to have a hard time starting; More specific, the car cranks strong but start up is delayed and not always consistent. Does this happen when your car hits 200k plus? I was told from a reputable source that injectors get dirty and they start to drip fuel into the intake after shut off.

Any suggestions to fix problem?
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
it could be a few things.
One could be that you have a fuel/air leak somewhere and fuel is draining from your lines back into the tank, meaning the pump has to prime before it will catch well.
Or it is possible you have one or more leaky injectors, This will usually cause some fuel to leak into the suspect cylinder(s) and after starting cause it to run rich and rough for a short time till it is burned off.

How long does it run rough for? will it actually cut out?
Is it worse the longer you leave it(ie go into a store and its ok but left overnight its worse)?

If it is actually the injectors, you can replace them, have them ultrasonically cleaned, run some injector cleaner through the tank, or maybe try to Seafoam it.

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
andicanada
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to andicanada
always the same change the fuel pump and the problem is gone
Old 04-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Ceeker

Bmw Technician told me it's most likely fuel injectors because his 88 does the same. Car doesn't run rough at all. Just hard start at times, more so during warmer weather. Yes, if I shut off and start it say after jumping into a store and back- no problem. but left for a while after running it; it will make the next start difficult.

but he did say that any bmw with close to or around 200k should get the fuel pump and alternator changed as a rule. Because the the two most common problems it brushing wearing and pump becomes weak or intermittent.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
i agree with andi on the fuel pump. injectors is possible but the pump is more likely.

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Ej_Red
2nd Gear Member

I actually have the same problem. The car does run way too rich on the cold start up. If i start it up and shut it off it won't even restart. Spark plugs have tons of fuel on them. I ran proper injector cleaner connected to the fuel line. Problem still there. Fuel pumpp was replaced by the previous owner.
This problem occurs more so on the hot start. If i drive it and park it for 10 mins or so.
Ej_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
Ceeker

yeah, similar situation; usually on hot start. after sitting for a while. My Bmw Technician friend who works for Bmw currently told me it's the injectors. using injector cleaner might help, try it he said. There was a time when BMW hooked the car up to a machine and did an actual fuel system cleaning. Was also done on e36s. I don't know if this is available anymore. Worse case, take injectors out. inspect, get them cleaned properly or just get another set. Mind you if this is the case perhaps getting m50 or s52 injectors may bode better.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
Ej_Red
2nd Gear Member

I just told you, i did hook it up to the machine if you want to call it like that. It's just the injector cleaning kit that connects directly to the fuel injector line. You run the product that comes in the can with the return line pinched until the can runs out, the car stalls and you're done.
It didn't make any difference. My car still does it.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
Ceeker

The one you did was a do it yourself; you can't compare this with the process I just explained. That is like taking a canadian tire a/c kit to recharge you a/c system. Doesn't always work; especially if you have air in the system. The system which I was referring to was a recycling type and I'm sure more efficient then store bought kits. Needless to say, it's trial and error; sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't because that may actually not be the case at all. :-)
Old 04-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
Ej_Red
2nd Gear Member

Lol i work at the dealership and this is what we use on customer`s cars and i'm sure bmw dealership uses the same kit. Ask your friend.

Last edited by Ej_Red; 04-14-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
Ceeker

I don't believe so, not from my recollection. that's like saying because I drive a domestic it should drive the same as a bmw? both have wheels.....etc...different breed. different technology - yes even as apparently simple injector system. I worked for bmw - this is how I know.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #12
Ej_Red
2nd Gear Member

Um no, technology is the same as to the fuel injector cleaning. You run the cleaner directly to the injectors, disable the fuel pump and crimp the return line if the vehicle has one. In our case, it does have one.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #13
Ceeker

well I guess it's injector time for both our cars! let me know if you source good ones.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: