Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Help: Removing factory head unit from e30?

Can anyone give me any helpful suggestions on how to remove the factory head unit out of an e30 without the proper tool (as I don't have one).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

There is no special tool needed.

Isn't it only an allen key on each side, then it slides out? Forgive me it's been years since i've removed mine.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

are you talking tape deck? easy. grad a torquex bit ti'll you find one the fits and spin it out..that's it!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

No..........it seems like it needs a thin hard piece of metal to slide in and release the to spring tabs that hold the deck in place, but I'm not 100% on that one. There is no room for an allen key or torx head type of wrench. Any other suggestions??
Old 03-30-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Pics would be a start since EVERY OE deck iIve seen has the hidden flaps at the sides for a torx/allen....
Old 04-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

If it is an oem deck it will have two small black tabs on either side which open to the side to expose to very small "brass" ( be careful not to strip these) allen key type head. get a torx bit that fits - because I tried it and works- and you can hand spin them out. they spin counter clockwise but the actually bolts don't slid out. the deck should slide out free.
These are NOT allen keys. The allen key is hexogonal and these screws are on side short of a hexogon. BMW tool for the actual proper removal.

good luck.
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
adam325i
3rd Gear Member

i took my old ones out all i did was open the flap with small screw driver and use a small allan key even tho its a torx but just use a little pressure and counter clock wise turn with spin really easy, they will not come tho just note that. your deck should just pull out from there. you should not have to slide any pieces of metal in there are no clips
adam325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:40 AM   #8
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

getting the factory deck out is the easy part, wait to you see the birdnest of wires if you have premiumsound in it, just a heads up get ready to run new wires!!!!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #9
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Sounds like its not a factory deck. FYI, those screws in the factory deck are not allen key or torx heads. They have 5 points, not 6. An allen key jammed in it will work, but a small precision flathead will do less damage.

Most aftermarket decks have little metal pieces you use to slide into the side of the deck to release the pinchers on the sides that hold it to the universal mounting bracket. Most designs vary so you need the one from your deck. Without it, try any thin piece of metal (thinner than a credit card) along the side with constant pressure pulling out.

Otherwise, yank it hard and replace what breaks.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
sic///M
4th Gear Member

crowbar
sic///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
W2WDETAILING
Banned

^pfft ....your suppose to use a chanisaw
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #12
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
getting the factory deck out is the easy part, wait to you see the birdnest of wires if you have premiumsound in it, just a heads up get ready to run new wires!!!!
actually i used the stock wiring to wire up my new deck in it.

ground, antenna, 2 powers, and the 2 POSITIVE front speakers (powers all the speakers rear and front)...THATS IT no NEGATIVE connections nor rear speaker connections.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:42 AM   #13
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Thanks guys for all of your help. As it turns out it was a five sided hex type screw. I jammed a slightly smaller allen key in there and it did the trick. The birdsnest at the back was a cinch. I guess working with hometheatre all day prepared me for that and had the new deck installed and working in 15 minutes, soldered and all! Yeah! That was project # 3. First was the clutch, which was much......much more difficult to do than an e36. Second was the cloth sport seats. The car is on the road now (thank god) The Forth projo, is going to be wheels/tires...........fifth suspension..........sixth brakes (pads/rotors) ..............sixth=more power..................seventh ???????????? I'm sure I'll find something.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #14
Ej_Red
2nd Gear Member

You don't need to run all new wires. However, you do have to bypass the amp and run only 2 new wires to the front speakers. That's it.
Ej_Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: