Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #16
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicanada View Post
i dont now if you ever build a engine like that !
but 200hp i think you are a bit off

165hp with a m42 is almost the limit or you spend another3000 grand on a dbilas intake system fro 10hp more

how many engines did you ever build and what kinda engine
I have built a few motors for off road, I can build a motor.

i have an m44 coming for the crank, using s52 size pistons which will but the bottom end up to 2L. Will be converting the electronics to use a afs instead of the afm. Once I have the bottom end built I will be getting the cylinder head done(port/polished ect)

your saying a 30hp increase is all thats possible on a 4 cyl
motor ....you can hit 160 with out building a stroker m42 with a good cold air intake, adjusting the cams, boring the secondary throttle body, using an electric fan, lighter flywheel and a chip, which to me is all bolt on.

I will keep those interested in the build once it starts in a few weeks, won't be an overnight or weekend build though.

anyways, most people find it easier to just drop in a bigger motor, that's just a swap and compared to building a motor is easy, thats just bolt on power, on a bigger scale ( no offense to anyone who has done this). building a high reving light motor with torque and hp is a challange most are not up to.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #17
325ixE30
3rd Gear Member

Now all I have to do is sell my 325ix........

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118636
Old 04-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #18
theox69
2nd Gear Member

The only way you're going to get 200hp out of an M42, is if you go Metric Mechanic.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #19
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

IMO an m5x or s5x motor is a much more reliable way to get power. BMW made the motor to be reliable with the power it has.

I would much rather have a stock motor with 240 hp then a "built" motor with 240 hp. Why? Because you can use a stock ecu without dealing with finicky tuning.

I don't want to start the tuned car vs. stock ecu battle. But I think most can agree that 99% of people don't know how to tune properly and are much better suited to having BMW engine control.

Steve
Old 04-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #20
theox69
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isStephen View Post
IMO an m5x or s5x motor is a much more reliable way to get power. BMW made the motor to be reliable with the power it has.

I would much rather have a stock motor with 240 hp then a "built" motor with 240 hp. Why? Because you can use a stock ecu without dealing with finicky tuning.

I don't want to start the tuned car vs. stock ecu battle. But I think most can agree that 99% of people don't know how to tune properly and are much better suited to having BMW engine control.

Steve
You're 100% right, and I completely agree.
BUT, the issue is that sometimes people want more power...
They're not just going to keep swapping more powerful engines over and over. They're going to resort to increasing the displacement, cams, chip, forced induction, etc.

So all in all -- stock, reliable motors are fantastic -- but when you want more power...Bring it to a professional and have them do all the work, instead of tinkering with things yourself. There's a greater chance something will be break if you choose the latter.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #21
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

That's very true, if you want over 240 hp your going to have to build a motor.

Also there's nothing wrong with building something yourself, i'm sure lots of people on this forum work in the automotive trade or have the knowledge to do it themselves.

If I had to pay someone to do the work on my car i'd likely be driving some newer domestic POS, not a 20 year old bmw.

Steve
Old 04-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #22
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
oh not going to hijack this thread but you can get the m42 to over 200hp, and you don't use the M3 internals for the stroker build.

Oh god.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: