Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Alignment time

Well before I put the new rims on, I wanna do the alignment.

Last year i had it done at Woodbridge Alignment and the steering wheel was left crooked to the side. I had my new rims on and they used some hand held gauge method where they dont use the lasers, due to the possibility of scratching the rims.

Now i still have my beaters on, and would like it done with the lasers.

My questions is in regards to the rear wheel alignment. They quoted me $65 fronts and $45 for the rears. Do E39s need rear alignment, i have never done it before. I know they have off centered bolt heads, but i dont think the rears need aligning.

Not sure if i should take it back to Woodbridge Alignment
Old 03-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Dado, if you had a problem with the steering being off all you had to do was take it back and they would redo the alignment.

The rear suspension on the E39 is very adjustable but before getting the rear adjusted you should make sure the rear ball joints and bushings are in good shape first. This applies to the front as well.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

I did and the guy actually told me that there is nothing more he can do. He just cant get it to be straight. Ball joints are all good.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
porksoda
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado 540 View Post
I did and the guy actually told me that there is nothing more he can do. He just cant get it to be straight. Ball joints are all good.
interesting... i had an older car a while ago where it used to be off... they said they could add a shimmy to correct it but the culprit was the tires... is your steering off for both set of rims or just one?

I am beginning to think woodbridge alignment is not what it used to be... i have taken a few cars there and i had unsatisfactory results all times..

my brand new tires right after alignment developed feathering.

The alignment should be same for all tires but the car may pull in one direction vs another depending on the wear of the tires.

I am at a loss for a good alignment place in GTA.
porksoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Its the same for both sets. I was there today actually to check the price and i was just observing the guys working there. Alot of younger guys, and i see them taking cars for test runs and just stepping on it. I did not like that.

So porksoda i guess im at a loss too
Old 03-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
porksoda
2nd Gear Member

well i have been reading a lot about alignment and people say its worth it to get it done at the dealership... i am not certain what the cost is but everytime i have gone to the dealer i end up spending money i shouldn't.

Apparently we should get the alignment done on a hunter system.
porksoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porksoda View Post
interesting... i had an older car a while ago where it used to be off... they said they could add a shimmy to correct it but the culprit was the tires... is your steering off for both set of rims or just one?

I am beginning to think woodbridge alignment is not what it used to be... i have taken a few cars there and i had unsatisfactory results all times.. my brand new tires right after alignment developed feathering.

The alignment should be same for all tires but the car may pull in one direction vs another depending on the wear of the tires.

I am at a loss for a good alignment place in GTA.
The first alignment that Woodbridge Alignment did on my E39 was done on worn tires, the car still pulled slightly to the left after the alignment. They said it was the tires and they were right after changing to new tires the car drove perfectly straight.

I don't do the alignment on my E39 but I've done my own alignments on my track car and even if the alignment was done correctly and checked over and over if the tires or suspension are worn the car will still pull and do funny things. The technician can try to compensate and make the car go straight but that will result in the tires wearing faster.

Having owned my E39 for over two years I've concluded that BMWs over all need peroidic suspension maintenance more than any car that I've owned. BMW is the only car that I've owned that require a pre-described weight to be placed in the car to preload the suspension to properly do an alignment. While this may be correct in theory but it underlines the fact that the suspension my be overly complicated and therefore problematic with worn components.

Last edited by MLue1; 03-26-2009 at 10:57 PM.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

According to some BMW people, Steve at Bavarian Motors is a BMW suspension guru, he setups up alot of the BMW track cars. It aint going to be a $100 alignment tho.

Last edited by MLue1; 03-27-2009 at 12:52 AM.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:24 AM   #9
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

What is the required load in the driver seat in order to complete alignment? Is this how dealerships do it?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado 540 View Post
What is the required load in the driver seat in order to complete alignment? Is this how dealerships do it?
I'm not sure of the exact weight(s)... something like 150 lb in the driver's seat and weight added to each rear seat as well. I've had guys tell me on BF.c that the alignment shops add weight for the alignment but they still have problems so I think it will still come down to the condition of the suspension components and tires on the car.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: