Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
330ci05
6th Gear Member

plasma or LCD?

i got a deal on samsung tv's, i could either get a 50' plasma for 800$ or a 52' LCD for 1300$.... what would be better?

thanks
330ci05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
damameke
6th Gear Member

lcd
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
PinkieMoscow
Jumped up G'd up.

lsd, I mean lcd. No questions asked, much better quality and don't have to refill plasm.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
Junaid
4th Gear Member

cheaper... but quality is good so $1300 LCD
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Doesn't it depend on where you're watching the screen and what type of viewing, e.g. sports, movies, etc?

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
Prash
pimp slapped

i chose plasma.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:16 AM   #7
rendered
6th Gear Member

Plasma will always be better image quality than LCD. Colours are true, better black and grey scales, better accuracy for film, etc etc etc. I could go on, its an expert/industry known/proven fact.

Most people buy LCD's because they are bright (great for high ambient light rooms), and they are told LCD will last longer than Plasma. Better for gaming consoles, and home theatre computer platforms.

Videophiles will swear by Pioneer Elite Plasma's or 2nd Choice would be Panasonics. If you want better than Plasma, Look into DLP technology, 6/7 segment high speed colour wheels, L.E.D lamps, or 3 chip DLP projectors if you want the absolute best true image quality closest to the way Hollywood wants consumers to view their films.

Laser TV is already available from Mitsubishi in the 65" size, it looks very promising, and I'll will be ordering one as soon as my hookup can get them at cost.

So to wrap this up, my choice would be this model for you, 1st PN50A650 then 2nd PN50A550 for plasmas.
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/s...subtype=plasma

If you don't need to mount it on the wall, and you have a bit of depth for a stand, for image quality, and longevity, and benefits of a full digital based Television with no burn in, screen door effect, motion blur, low refresh rates, etc, ask them to find you a HL61A750 DLP or the HL67A750 if you want bigger.
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/s...tv&subtype=dlp

The 61" can be found at Costco with a stand for $1699 or less (clearance)

I much prefer my Samsung 50" 1080P DLP in the bedroom than my 52" Samsung LCD in the living room.

The Pioneer Elite 50" plasma was king though, on par with my DLP ( recently sold the 50" Elite to upgrade to a larger set either 65" laser tv or 60" Elite Plasma) Pioneer anounced they will no longer be making the internal panels and outsource from Panasonic so they can move their focus onto other electronics in Pioneers lineup.

So if you want the best Plasma, hurry they won't be around for much longer. Meegis has a 60" Elite plasma, he can vouch for their incredible image quality as well.

Who's your source for pricing, I assume a bestbuy/futureshop employee?

Last edited by rendered; 03-05-2009 at 02:20 AM.
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:07 AM   #8
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

ARGH - The topic has been discussed AD NAUSEUM on here!!! Do a search...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
330ci05
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendered View Post
Plasma will always be better image quality than LCD. Colours are true, better black and grey scales, better accuracy for film, etc etc etc. I could go on, its an expert/industry known/proven fact.

Most people buy LCD's because they are bright (great for high ambient light rooms), and they are told LCD will last longer than Plasma. Better for gaming consoles, and home theatre computer platforms.

Videophiles will swear by Pioneer Elite Plasma's or 2nd Choice would be Panasonics. If you want better than Plasma, Look into DLP technology, 6/7 segment high speed colour wheels, L.E.D lamps, or 3 chip DLP projectors if you want the absolute best true image quality closest to the way Hollywood wants consumers to view their films.

Laser TV is already available from Mitsubishi in the 65" size, it looks very promising, and I'll will be ordering one as soon as my hookup can get them at cost.

So to wrap this up, my choice would be this model for you, 1st PN50A650 then 2nd PN50A550 for plasmas.
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/s...subtype=plasma

If you don't need to mount it on the wall, and you have a bit of depth for a stand, for image quality, and longevity, and benefits of a full digital based Television with no burn in, screen door effect, motion blur, low refresh rates, etc, ask them to find you a HL61A750 DLP or the HL67A750 if you want bigger.
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/s...tv&subtype=dlp

The 61" can be found at Costco with a stand for $1699 or less (clearance)

I much prefer my Samsung 50" 1080P DLP in the bedroom than my 52" Samsung LCD in the living room.

The Pioneer Elite 50" plasma was king though, on par with my DLP ( recently sold the 50" Elite to upgrade to a larger set either 65" laser tv or 60" Elite Plasma) Pioneer anounced they will no longer be making the internal panels and outsource from Panasonic so they can move their focus onto other electronics in Pioneers lineup.

So if you want the best Plasma, hurry they won't be around for much longer. Meegis has a 60" Elite plasma, he can vouch for their incredible image quality as well.

Who's your source for pricing, I assume a bestbuy/futureshop employee?

it's a family friend that works there and he can get it think 20-25% off the list price, but they have this store there or something that they sell for much less because the box is like damaged or something but there is nothing wrong with the tv and you still get the warranty and everything..

this will be for the family froom where we talk tv, no games being played or anything..... it might go into the basement after and upgrade to a bigger one,,, so thats why i'm leaning to the plasma, its cheaper and i hear the picture is better in low light,,, right??

thanks guys!
330ci05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: