Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
shogun328
1st Gear Newbie

replacing 5spd 328is starter. plz help!

OK so ive began tackling the task of taking out my starter off my 1999 328is which is standard. I removed the cross brace under the tranny but the transmission wont budge and inch, it wont move at all. I cant get to the top bolt and the only way I can see this working out as far as giving myself space to put the extension in is tilting the transmission. Is it possible that the drive shaft is holding it tight and not allowing it to move. there is no room to work with! Did anyone else take their starter off an e36 with a manual transmission, and if so please help me out here what can i do to get the sucker out, thanks!
shogun328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
morpheus
2nd Gear Member

The best way would be to do it from the top. You'll have to remove the intake manifold for that. It's not a difficult job but it's long.

Best of luck!
morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
It depends if your starter body is threaded or not. If it's 96+ it probably is. I just remove the transmission brace, loosened the engine mounts and tilted the engine and transmission down a bit, and used a super long extension with a u-joint at the end. I'm pretty sure I had the driveshaft off at this point as well though which made it easier to tilt the motor, but I didn't actually need to remove the starter, I just unbolted it from the transmission bell housing. That said I'm pretty sure there is enough room to run an extension or two with a couple u-joints to undo those two bolts without tilting the engine much, or at all. It's been a while since I've been under my car though.

By the end the starter is probably going to come out via the engine bay anyway.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
shogun328
1st Gear Newbie

thanks man that helped alot bro!
shogun328 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: