Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
MVPIRES
RESTART

Winter salt

What is the best way to get salt of your mats and carpet? The hard (white)dry stuff.
MVPIRES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

repeated washing with hot soapy water.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
zackman17
Banned

i would remove the mats spray them with a carpet cleaning solution. if you have a pressure washer on hand wash them it should come out. if not go to a diy car wash but you have to wet the mats before hand so the salt softens or you wont get it out. as for the salt on the carpet saturate it with a carpet cleaner and lightly rub it put some hot water on it. "have a wet/dry vac on hand to get rid of the water.
zackman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
biginstreets
bitches love me!

i dont mean to hijack your thread but i have a question about salt also...

is washing my car everyday through a touchless car wash a good idea to help keep salt from sitting? or would that do more harm than good?
biginstreets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Everyday? Where is your money tree located?

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
biginstreets
bitches love me!

no money tree, petro canada has a season pass for car washes, 1 wash a day for 90 days for like 150 bucks or so.
biginstreets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
MVPIRES
RESTART

So,I can do it myself and don't have to get the car detailed. It just seem like it's "baked" on there. The good thing is it's only the drivers side-Thanks for all the tips!!!
MVPIRES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:06 AM   #8
TOGWT
1st Gear Newbie

Removing Road Salt

Use a stiff brush to dislodge any loose road salt and then remove with a vacuum, spray the area with a carpet cleaner and let it soak in, the salt stains are highly alkaline once mixed with water, so I'd reach for an acidic product to counteract/neutralize. You might find that rinsing with a solution of vinegar /water helps. Repeat until most of the stain has been lifted.

Finally clean carpets by spraying the area with a carpet shampoo rinse and then remove with a carpet extractor. Using the vacuum, remove the excess moisture, loose dirt and the grime, allow carpets / mats to thoroughly dry before use, and then apply a fabric protection (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard) Be aware that once you add water to salt it becomes corrosive, so take care to dry the affected area thoroughly after the salt has been removed.
TOGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biginstreets View Post
no money tree, petro canada has a season pass for car washes, 1 wash a day for 90 days for like 150 bucks or so.
Most Petro Canada's aren't touchless....atleast in my area.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #10
Wes_R
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Removing Road Salt

Use a stiff brush to dislodge any loose road salt and then remove with a vacuum, spray the area with a carpet cleaner and let it soak in, the salt stains are highly alkaline once mixed with water, so I'd reach for an acidic product to counteract/neutralize. You might find that rinsing with a solution of vinegar /water helps. Repeat until most of the stain has been lifted.

Finally clean carpets by spraying the area with a carpet shampoo rinse and then remove with a carpet extractor. Using the vacuum, remove the excess moisture, loose dirt and the grime, allow carpets / mats to thoroughly dry before use, and then apply a fabric protection (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard) Be aware that once you add water to salt it becomes corrosive, so take care to dry the affected area thoroughly after the salt has been removed.
TOGWT when are you gonna write that detailing book already I have cash in hand for the first and second editions.

I want them autographed to please.
Wes_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Removing Road Salt

now that is one hell of a first post.
welcome and thanks for the info.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: