Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
TNation
Banned

So long V and SS series...

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/18/b...le-operations/

Coinciding with the release of General Motors' Viability Plan, the automaker has disbanded its High Performance Vehicle Operations team, the crew responsible for the line V-series Cadillacs, the Chevrolet Cobalt SS, HHR SS and the V8 version of the Colorado. According to Vince Muniga, a spokesman for the General, "All high-performance projects are on indefinite hold. The engineers are moving into different areas of the organization, and they will work on Cadillacs, Buicks, Chevrolets and Pontiacs."

man that M5 eater, the Cadillac CTS-V, is going to be gone
and the unreal fast, Cobalt SS was their claim to fame in the sport compact market.

EDIT: Mods should this be moved to General Discussion?

Last edited by TNation; 02-18-2009 at 09:00 PM.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

or in other words... good bye camaro..
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
Manimillion
Photographer

Any car company that doesn't make cars for the enthusiast doens't do very well....

Look at Toyota fir example... Ever since their models started to become more and more for your sister and your grandmother they have been doing worse and worse each year.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

^^ I have been saying that for years! Toyota was doing amazing pretty much right up until last year but they completely changed their name by getting rid of all "sports" cars. Once the supra and celica were gone all their cars sort of blended together to me they all look the same and all look boring!
IMO not a good move on GM's part
328IScreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

Is having an intestine/colon bypass to the brain, a prerequisite before working for GM?
AceOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
TNation
Banned

in defence of GM, the research and investment they put into their high performance brands has been a losing battle for a long time. They are just trying to cut costs. But its a sad state of affairs.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
Gamite

History repeats itself yet again.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOfSpades View Post
Is having an intestine/colon bypass to the brain, a prerequisite before working for GM?
ive been working on a degree, but maybe i should just get this operation done.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #9
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

Yes they are losing money on those lines of "sports cars" but just having them gives the GM line a more respectable name. Like toyota for example what do you think of now when you think of toyota? Boring! Personally i wouldn't even want to be associated with driving a toyota pretty much cause i'm not a middle aged soccer mom trying to save money on gas and cut maintenance costs.
Also the latter I believe is a myth with toyota being so "reliable"
328IScreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
Why all the hate on Toyota? I think their new image, new look, new Camry have actually helped them enter the younger car buyer market.

The Camry is an excellent choice compared to the Accord considering its new, more aggressive styling.

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by StikiGreenZ View Post
Why all the hate on Toyota? I think their new image, new look, new Camry have actually helped them enter the younger car buyer market.

The Camry is an excellent choice compared to the Accord considering its new, more aggressive styling.
ya camry is a good car, and it did help toyota enter the younger buyers market, but the camry and the toyota trcuks are the best they have. if they had a more sportier car, they would already have had the young market, and not had to get back in.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #12
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

That's what GM is doing. They're betting the farm that the middle to senior aged folks will buy their cars instead of the young hipster sardine sized cars. Going back to core values is a well known strategy.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimillion View Post
Any car company that doesn't make cars for the enthusiast doens't do very well....

Look at Toyota fir example... Ever since their models started to become more and more for your sister and your grandmother they have been doing worse and worse each year.
You mean Toyota, that car company that just grabbed number one in global sales? Yeah, you're right, they must be hurting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
So that you too can have shit for brains?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
depends, some are born with the operation built in
AceOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
TNation
Banned

you all that are saying a Car company won't do well financially without making an "enthusiast or performance car" are wrong. While I think its a wonderful alternative, such as the Supra by Toyota in the 90's, the NSX-Integra-Prelude-S2K by Honda in the 90's, a car company does not need a performance car to complete its brand.
All of you that are saying Toyota is boring and doesn't make good cars are out to lunch. The performance line for Toyota is in Lexus, the IS-F is an M3 competitor, the new LF-A will be an M5 eater, and we all know, both of those cars when modded will produce some serious serious numbers.
Quote:
Like toyota for example what do you think of now when you think of toyota? Boring! Personally i wouldn't even want to be associated with driving a toyota pretty much cause i'm not a middle aged soccer mom trying to save money on gas and cut maintenance costs.
Also the latter I believe is a myth with toyota being so "reliable"
wtf? have you driven the new Camry? 260hp. Very comfortable, quick car that looks great. Have you driven the Corolla S? Its a great looking car that actually handles pretty decent.
Here's an 09 Corolla S with some nice wheels and obviously some FI

Toyota used the Corolla as their platform in the SuperGT this year actually. Looks sick with a widebody kit I think!

and don't even get me started on how reliable they are; own one and see why they are the number one car manufacturer in the world. Their quality control is unreal. Awesome, reliable cars. A Toyota Corolla from any year of the 90's could quite possibly be the most reliable car of all time.
The new Camry, Corolla, 2010 4Runner and Highlander (especially the Limited), are all the best looking new cars on the market, that have plenty of power and STRONG resale.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: