Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
TopSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Anyone imported an E39 from the US into Canada???

Just wondering what the dealer had to modify to make it 'Cdn-spec' ...

I understand that my friend brought in two e46s and had no mods to make and heard that 7's are not even worthed as the offset in price just doesn't justify anymore.

If you want specifics .... I am looking at a facelift E39 preferably the V8 Touring.

Wife said the magic words today .... 'I need a bigger car, the baby seat doesn't fit all that well in my car' ... we are expecting any day now and finally saw the realities of dealing with a small wagon.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

There is one in Autotrader. I think 99 540it for 7K has 167K
Old 02-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
TopSpeed
3rd Gear Member

$9 999 with a 140k ... i want facelift with LED tails and all
Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
zubbie
Happy Happy Joy Joy

don't underestimate the costs here. If you want accurate information ask the dealer. I understand that the cluster has to be replaced along with a few other goodies that in some cases add up to $5k. add all the other cross border stuff, BMW's dealer recall letter fee etc and it's not likely worth it.

89 535iA ; 93 M5
zubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubbie View Post
don't underestimate the costs here...add all the other cross border stuff, BMW's dealer recall letter fee etc and it's not likely worth it.
Unfortunately he may be right... at this time the prices for E39s in the US is not much different all things considered; however there is much more choice in the US. From what I've seen, the Canadian E39 Tourings seem to be cheaper in Canada than the US, it may have something to do with perceived demand, it usually takes the Canadian Dealers along time to sell E39 Tourings even when there aren't many on the market. The E39 Touring isn't that big... take the wife to see the touring in the Autotrader,... make sure it fits the bill.

Send a PM to Richmak, he recently imported a E39 525i, he should be able to tell you what's involved.

PS If you're looking for the LED tail lights on the Touring, you'll only find that option on the 2003 model year and not many were sold in that year, most were 528i that year.

Last edited by MLue1; 02-11-2009 at 11:08 PM.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
328i Cab
3rd Gear Member

The 06 x5 (last of the series) only requires a reflash for DRLs. The newer ones require you to change the dash but I believe the e39 should be just fine with a reflash.

BMW makes you pay $500 for the recall clearance letter and some other BS fees to import their cars now. Don't forget the 6.1% duty payable at the border along with A/C tax and RIV fee.

Only thing is that there are some really low mileage cars in the states that aren't found as easily here. I believe you can even get the backing changed in the cluster and the odo changed to kms for a few hundred bucks.

PM me for your sidewinder (laser cut) key blank and cutting needs. Have OEM pre-ews keys and replacement shells.
328i Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
Gamite

Had to get DRL's activated, and rear seatbelt harness thing for child seats. Also needed bilingual stickers.

Nothing big was needed for my E39.

You require 2 letters from BMW costing $800, plus you will need to do your DRL, and other adjustments at BMW to receive one of the letters, so it will also cost you there. not much though.

There is a tonne of information in this thread:

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115993

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
TopSpeed
3rd Gear Member

The E39 fur sure will be bigger than her current DD: 2004 Subaru Impreza wagon. Trying to get her convinced on an A8 or E38 7 as well but we both like the E39.

We'll see. Having a baby on the way and all .. might be difficult to go changing cars now.

I bought a car and a bike in the US before and imported them back to Canada so I know the process and how hectic it can be so no need to explain. I just wanted to know what mods are necessary to bring it thru the dealer.

Thanks for all the info!
Old 02-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
tlinkletter
2nd Gear Member

I've imported 2 of them and all I had to do was have the dealer program for running day lights. Both clusters had km in smaller letters which was acceptable. No bilingual stickers were required and I live in NB which is Bilingual crazy. You will need a recall clearance from BMW Canada not your dealer and it will have to have the importation inspection done at Canadian tire. That was 2 years ago though so I don't know about today although I don't think it's changed.

Last edited by tlinkletter; 02-12-2009 at 05:47 PM.
tlinkletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
328i Cab
3rd Gear Member

if you need the bilingual sticker, PM an email address me and I'll email you a copy of one. I printed 2 with a colour laser printer and literally taped them up there and they passed them this past summer . You can take them off in the parking lot if you want. (Importing an Acura but should be the same).

PM me for your sidewinder (laser cut) key blank and cutting needs. Have OEM pre-ews keys and replacement shells.
328i Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
richmak
4th Gear Member

I did it last Sept on my '03 525iT wagon. Very simple.

The key is to fetch the recall clearance proof (ask the dealer to get it for you prior to transferring the ownership). Screen print-out / fax is acceptable.

If you have the recall clearance printout then the local BMW dealer cannot stand in your way in the importation process. All I need is to pay someone to programme my DRL (cost me $100 ... I know it's not cheap but I am not complaining).

You pay GST upon arriving the Canadian border. And you paid PST at the local Ontario Vehicle Licensing Office. Not sure with the current exchange rate, is it still an attractive deal.

I DID NOT pay a single dime to the local BMW dealer

Feel free to PM if you want more details.

Last edited by richmak; 02-12-2009 at 06:26 PM.
richmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #12
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i Cab View Post
if you need the bilingual sticker, PM an email address me and I'll email you a copy of one. I printed 2 with a colour laser printer and literally taped them up there and they passed them this past summer . You can take them off in the parking lot if you want. (Importing an Acura but should be the same).
Smart. That's what I did when I imported my highway coach.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: