Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

GPS voice downloads

I was just wondering if you guys have customizable voices on your GPS's for your cars. I got a Garmin Nuvi 250w for Christmas and have been looking for some custom voices with no luck at all. If you have any or know where to get them from post them up, I'd love to have Homer Simpson or something telling me where to go rather than the boring woman that comes on it. lol
Old 01-27-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
coolhand
Banned

Not sure if you can for Garmin, probably depends on ur model.

Personally I find the talking very annoying.
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Fel
Not Banned

Wish I could do this for my little Magellin... the voice isn't that bad to listen to, but sometimes when she says "Right" it sounds like "Left" if you're not listening for it.

the cheap little tomtom unit I gave my mom had a whole bunch of different voices! Man, woman, and different accents. I think they had 2 "American" voices and 3 British sounding voices... kinda cool.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Yeah, mine only has 2 English voices. The normal US English one is horrible. The woman sounds like she is pissed off when she tells you where to go. It also sounds like he is an inch away from hitting you when she says "recalculating" lol. It's pretty annoying... I've been using the British English one lately, but that one is getting to be just as annoying so I've been looking for some downloadable ones with no luck. I was hoping somebody knew where to download some.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
go on the garmin website, plug your GPS unit in through the USB port. Haven't done mine yet, can't be bothered.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
coolhand
Banned

Whats wrong with just looking at the map? Seriously guys unless its a long drive on one road its ****iing annoying to shit.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
go on the garmin website, plug your GPS unit in through the USB port. Haven't done mine yet, can't be bothered.
Already been done. these are the voices it give you the option of downloading... I'm not really thinking that a high pitched elf voice or a horribly done Dracula type voice would be much better than the two currently on it. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
Whats wrong with just looking at the map? Seriously guys unless its a long drive on one road its ****iing annoying to shit.
I honestly don't find being told when you need to turn and how far away it is "annoying to shit". It's extremely convenient other than the fact that the voice is a very bad one.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
carjoe
6th Gear Member

I've got the same unit. Bought it for a trip down south, I've used it twice since. I guess my driving is pretty routine.

I hate the voices that are on it too. Maybe that's why I don't use it more...

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:57 AM   #9
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

I just use it in St. Catharines because I don't know my way around here worth shit and practically every damn street is a one way. lol

Oh well, seems like I'm just going to have to get used to the rediculously annoying voices... Maybe I should set it to be Dutch or something, I wouldnt have any idea what they were saying but it would be funny. lol
Old 01-28-2009, 01:22 AM   #10
Fel
Not Banned

I find mine very handy in certain situations... I sure as hell don't have it telling me how to get to work every morning, but I spent my entire weekend driving around areas that I'm completely unfamiliar with... it would have been a major pain in the ass without the GPS, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
The concept of keeping one's eyes on the road comes to mind... how ****iing annoying would it be to run into the back of someone's car when you're trying to figure out where your next turn is?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:30 AM   #11
davericher20
black and blue

haha a guy I know has a Scottish accent on his. I can't be bothered. The first week I muted it cause it's annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
niko_gt
6th Gear Member

I wouldnt mind downloading a jamaican voice turn right bwoy
Old 01-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #13
Junaid
4th Gear Member

i wouldnt mind jessica alba's voice
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:52 AM   #14
coolhand
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
I find mine very handy in certain situations... I sure as hell don't have it telling me how to get to work every morning, but I spent my entire weekend driving around areas that I'm completely unfamiliar with... it would have been a major pain in the ass without the GPS, that's for sure.

The concept of keeping one's eyes on the road comes to mind... how ****iing annoying would it be to run into the back of someone's car when you're trying to figure out where your next turn is?
True, but you shouldnt be tailgating and most people are equiped with this super power called perifial vision.

They can be useful I agree but when driving in city I would of thrown that thing out the window if I woulnt be able to turn off the voice feature.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
ShortShifter
Sex Wagon

Dr. Nightmare FTW! He says random stuff while you are driving like "have you checked the trunk lately?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Only if you have an iVag.
ShortShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: