Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Trans Failsafe Prog Message

Got this message today, read up ion it a bit. I know my tranny is on its way and its gonna need rework, but its been mentioned that a bad battery could pop up this message or even an alternator or a speed sensor. Any truth in this?
Car is in limp mode right now 4th gear. 1998 E39 540i
Dado 540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Oyster
mine was a trannny neutral switch which was replaced. bring it to lakeside
Old 01-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
myndgone
..... kLaSSe~1 .....

Send a message via MSN to myndgone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado 540 View Post
Got this message today, read up ion it a bit. I know my tranny is on its way and its gonna need rework, but its been mentioned that a bad battery could pop up this message or even an alternator or a speed sensor. Any truth in this?

Believe it or not, I got that same message once or twice and my battery was bad at the time, replaced it 2-3 weeks later, and message never came back, so yes it is possible.

Take it back to Mark.
myndgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Use a volt meter to check the battery voltage with the car off, it should be a little over 12 volts. Turn on the car and check the voltage once again with the engine running, the voltage should be 13.5 volts or greater. If there is less than 13 volts with the engine running...the water cooled alternator is shot.

If everything checks out with the battery and with the problems shifting into reverse I would say you need your tranny worked on.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

I noticed my front lights dim a bit when i accelerate, could this be the alternator
Dado 540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
I noticed my front lights dim a bit when i accelerate, could this be the alternator
Could be, the front lights should not dim when you accelerate, if anything the lights should get brighter when the revs increase.

Check the voltage of the battery!

If you don't have a volt meter go to Parts Source and they will check it for you or lend you the tool. If the alternator is not charging the battery the battery will soon run low and could leave you stranded.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
dodoamore
1st Gear Newbie

My story is a bit different but related., my TFP Code was a result of a bad ABS Module; it would activate the code once the module warmed up, I tested the module by spraying it with air from a dust canister (upside down) it would cool the module and code would disappear until warmed up again. Once the module was remanufactured, the symptoms haven't popped up since but I still have all corresponding abs lights active on the dash; I may still have a faulty abs module or speed sensor...but personally I don't care as long as the TFP code doesn't pop up....good luck and let us know what the results are

Ps. I've also read up on the battery, neutral switch and speed sensor as possible symptoms
dodoamore is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: