Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #16
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

take it to rmp lol
Old 01-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #17
slimjim
Almost Sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ej_Red View Post
Pads and rotors i could care less how much they are. Shit like fuel tank, drive shaft u-joints, subframe bushings, ridiculously routed hard brake lines and this can go on and on. Unless you do your own work and you can do more then just brakes and you don't mind working on your car every other weekend, get a bmw.
Otherwise, stick to hondas.
an e30 is a great car to learn on. Mostly everything is constructed pretty simple and logically.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #18
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

and unlike north american junk (did I say that?) stuff actually comes apart instead of always breaking.

Steve
Old 01-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #19
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Who is the EJ_red....why are you on a BMW web site trashing BMW's???

"Pads and rotors i could care less how much they are. Shit like fuel tank, drive shaft u-joints, subframe bushings, ridiculously routed hard brake lines and this can go on and on. Unless you do your own work and you can do more then just brakes and you don't mind working on your car every other weekend, get a bmw.
Otherwise, stick to hondas."

Why would someone who wants a BMW buy a honda???

Last edited by richie_s999; 01-23-2009 at 10:52 AM.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
Boxer2
The OPP loves my M5

I have never owned any other kinds of cars other than BMW's and I don't ever plan on owning anything but BMW's, They are cheap to maintain, easy to work on and extremely well built. Folks that think the are expensive and hard to work on are clearly not educated about these cars very well. I would say if your not into working on your own car than don't get one, The reason I got all my bimmers is because I enjoy working on them and spending as much time as possible having fun with them.

My Garage:
1986 328is (M20 Stroker)
1986 535i (5sp all original)
1990 325iX (Mint 5sp all original)
1989 325iX (Winter auto X car)
1991 M5
1988 M6
2001 740i (Supercharged)
2004 X5 3.0i (The DD)
Boxer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #21
punnzzells
Banned

Send a message via MSN to punnzzells Send a message via Yahoo to punnzzells
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ej_Red View Post
Pads and rotors i could care less how much they are. Shit like fuel tank, drive shaft u-joints, subframe bushings, ridiculously routed hard brake lines and this can go on and on. Unless you do your own work and you can do more then just brakes and you don't mind working on your car every other weekend, get a bmw.
Otherwise, stick to hondas.

ya, so you can have cracked manifolds, have your tires collapse under your car - wishbone for real!, over pay for the same car b/c it's starts with an A compared to an N... and a friend here at work has a 1997 Acura 2.2 CL , he had to change his brake lines.... ya... ghey... full one piece piping for all the lines... $1000.00 later....

listen.. point is all cars have quirks... it's just what quirks can you live with and what can you live without...

NO E30 has ever left me stranded ... yes ,things break... but they break in a " still can get you there " kind of way....

mike
punnzzells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #22
punnzzells
Banned

Send a message via MSN to punnzzells Send a message via Yahoo to punnzzells
sorry.. edit...

over pay for the same car b/c it's starts with an A compared to an H...
punnzzells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #23
Ej_Red
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isStephen View Post
and unlike north american junk (did I say that?) stuff actually comes apart instead of always breaking.

Steve
Yea especially every connector you touch brakes in pieces lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
Who is the EJ_red....why are you on a BMW web site trashing BMW's???

"Pads and rotors i could care less how much they are. Shit like fuel tank, drive shaft u-joints, subframe bushings, ridiculously routed hard brake lines and this can go on and on. Unless you do your own work and you can do more then just brakes and you don't mind working on your car every other weekend, get a bmw.
Otherwise, stick to hondas."

Why would someone who wants a BMW buy a honda???
And who the hell are YOU? Flat black e30 lol ? I actually own both. Hondas are great, easy to work on and everyone knows honda's bulletproof reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punnzzells View Post
ya, so you can have cracked manifolds, have your tires collapse under your car - wishbone for real!, over pay for the same car b/c it's starts with an A compared to an N... and a friend here at work has a 1997 Acura 2.2 CL , he had to change his brake lines.... ya... ghey... full one piece piping for all the lines... $1000.00 later....
So e30 lower control arms are better? Come on. Not even mentioning the exhaust system that has to be replaced every 2,3 years. Overpaying for acura over a honda? Only for North Americans because we are willing to pay for it. In Europe, no such thing.

Anyways, i like e30s a lot. That's why i own one. All i said be prepared to do your own work on it and spend money. Otherwise, get your wallet ready.
Ej_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #24
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Mmmm E30's aren't that expensive to maintain, and i'm pretty sure I haven't had half the problems you've mentioned. If any.

I don't know what shitbox you own.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #25
Ej_Red
2nd Gear Member

Easy there cause you're in the e30 section. You can't call e30 a shitbox.
Ej_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #26
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

I wasn't calling THE E30 a shit box. I was asking what shit box YOU drive as you're trying to steer someone away from purchasing one because yours seems to be such a large problem.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:51 AM   #27
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

EJ, face it, a BMW has always been better then the same year of any Honda.

Its a better car period. I am not saying a honda isn't a decent reliable car, what you said sounds like you were trying to steer someone away from getting one.

As for my color choice of my car do you really think I build cars so others look at them and say "hey thats a pretty car"??? I build my car to my taste and could care less what others think. but nice try to get under my skin. Glad it makes you LOL sounds like you need to loosen up with a good laugh.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:03 AM   #28
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
What is this guy saying.....

Even CT tire exhaust will last 2-3 years.. The real question is who is working on your car? Or you go to those places where you get ball joints and they are done in ONE week. Such as Napa auto parts and other playgrounds.
lvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:59 AM   #29
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

so to the origional poster - as to what E30's to stay away from I think steer clear of EJ red's car, even if he has a 1.7 honda motor swaped in to make it bullet proof. One your gonna laughed at and two, I don't think the work being done on it was ever done by someone with a clue. Just cause they have the same bolt pattern dones't put them in the same class.

All other E30's are pretty much priced according to what has and well need to be done. The cheaper the car the more work you may have to do.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #30
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

yeah thx guys, ya i love my e36 and i drove my co workers 1990 325is . 300k runs better then my e36 . feels great and handles awsome. and he says nothing to worry about
just..put good oil in and just the regular maintenance and i'll be fine.
i didnt do that wit my e36 so my lifters r making gluk gluk gluk noises and all sorts of other crap lol....
and i really dont like hondas. they feel like toy cars

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: