Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

coolant dripping... new rad?

Had the "Check Coolant Level" message appear on my 325's OBC 2 weeks ago & upon check, it wdas down. So I topped it up with some pre-mix & checked the strength (good to -20 c); which I thought would be alright for the time being, and after I bought some more antifreeze I could bump it up some. Wasn't planning on the glacial freeze that our area's been experiencing for the last week or so.

So I had the message pop up again, and sure enough it was down again! I pulled it into the garage, filled it up & had a crawl underneath to see if I could tell what's going on. My first fear was head gasket; but when I got under the car, I could see a drip starting to form. It's leaking (from best I can tell) between the aluminum portion of the rad & the black plastic tank on the passenger side. I can't see anywhere that it's leaking from higher up (recovery reservoir, hoses etc). It's not a steady stream, but it's definately leaking. I'm thinking that with the -30 days we had last week, maybe the tank developed an expansion crack?

Is anything on there a replaceable part, or am I now in the market for a new rad?

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Are you sure its not the expansion tank? or a loose/cracked hose?

I have a good used rad for cheap if you need one.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind.

It's supposed to be a little warmer for the next few days so maybe my motivation to be outside will be better and I can get a better look at what's going on...

Has anyone ever tried any of those liquid stop-leak jugs to fix small coolant leaks? Saw one from Prestone that is supposedly compatible with all types of coolant. I'm thinking of maybe trying one, but a little worried that it may cause other problems...

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: