Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
slimjim
Almost Sideways

sound system noob.

ok so ive NEVER looked into sound systems for my e30. I always enjoyed the look of the oem deck, nice, flush and all black. I understand the process of wiring the system, and the basics of knowing what speaker/amp is good. However im confused with the instalment of the actual aftermarket deck. How does it sit in the dash? is there somekind of box that holds it? what does the box screw on to? is there a frame that covers the gaps on the face of the deck if its smaller than the hole? does all this come with the "package" when buying a deck? can anyone reccomend me a deck that is cheap and decent looking that includes EVERYTING i need to install it.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
You're right. There is a box that sits around the deck and you pop it in the slot. that box has kind of outward facing tabs that hold the deck snuggly in place.

There is a frame that does take care of the aesthetics after the deck has been installed. It kind of hides the gap between the radio and the slot you put it in.

Usually it will all come in the package when you buy it.

Futureshop/Bestbuy usually has a couple of 99 dollar or less decks on sale.

If you're not too picky you can go for a high end used deck. I prefer Alpine as I very much enjoy their features.

may I also recommend a set of aftermarket speakers. A Component set will help increase sound quality drastically.

I have a set of 60 dollar components that I like very much!

95 530i|Modifications - Work.
ACS_DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

i was in your shoes about 5 months ago.... what to get where to start..

ive search forums upon forums. on what deck to choose. and the common consensus. said that the best decks out there are pioneer and alpine.

then from there. after deciding i was going to go with alpine. i looked at what would look good in the interior. for instance in E46's all the lights are light orange. soo why would i get a deck that flashes lime green????

me personally i would stay away from used decks cuz youd get the manual and all that fun stuff.

now, go to your independant audio shops. usually if you buy a deck from them, theyll install for free.

at first i was all like "yea do it my self, save the money". but quickly got discouraged as you have to solder the wires put them in the correct place and hope to god thatll work.
besides installation if you buy your deck online is like 50 plus tax.

on a side note from experince. if your jumping into the sound game and want to get woofers tweeters speakers all that good stuff.

MAKE SURE you buy the proper amp. i have a 2 channle amp and 2 12's in my MK2 jetta. now if i ever wanted to get speakers id have to get ANOTHER amp. since its only 2 channels.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

actually for my e30 i didnt have to get no housing for the deck

i just pulled out the old one...and put in the new one. it fits, a bit wobbly it will come out

so i just wrapped it with electrical tape and jammed it in...its so snug its rediculous!

wiring a deck via basic connections to the e30 is so simple.
you can use the stock wires or you can fully rewire.

i've done both...fully rewire mainly because the previous owner butchered the wiring from before.

i have a sony deck was 90 bucks new at futureshop. people say its a bad deck...but once installed it was significantly louder output then stock deck on stock speakers!!! i got more than i thought out of this deck.

plus, the red lights and shit REALLLLY compliment my color scheme it was amazing meant to be!

here is a pic the closest thing i got to the deck...minus the actually control unit itself...you can still see the connector to it etc.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
actually for my e30 i didnt have to get no housing for the deck

i just pulled out the old one...and put in the new one. it fits, a bit wobbly it will come out

so i just wrapped it with electrical tape and jammed it in...its so snug its rediculous!

wiring a deck via basic connections to the e30 is so simple.
you can use the stock wires or you can fully rewire.

i've done both...fully rewire mainly because the previous owner butchered the wiring from before.

i have a sony deck was 90 bucks new at futureshop. people say its a bad deck...but once installed it was significantly louder output then stock deck on stock speakers!!! i got more than i thought out of this deck.

plus, the red lights and shit REALLLLY compliment my color scheme it was amazing meant to be!

here is a pic the closest thing i got to the deck...minus the actually control unit itself...you can still see the connector to it etc.
Right on, Do work!

Who's the chica you talking to on the phone, she sexy?
=p

95 530i|Modifications - Work.
ACS_DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
slimjim
Almost Sideways

I will be rewiring everything and putting 1 10inch sub. i dont want anything crazy. Ive rewired decks before and its not hard, so ill be doing it myself.

but im still confused? when i buy the deck, does it come with the box to slid indo and a face plate to fill in the gaps?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

no it wont come with a box for it to slide into.
and you probably wont need one.

but yes it will come with a faceplate
Old 01-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

there are adapter kits, that do not come with the deck
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
slimjim
Almost Sideways

where can i get the box?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
Skeezix
2nd Gear Member

If the E30 is the same size head unit as in the E36, which is the same size as any other single din head unit, you don't need anything except for maybe a wire harness and antenna adapter if buying a new head unit. If buying a used head unit, make sure the cage comes with it. Wire up the adapters, then install the cage, and then the head unit should slide and click into the cage, and place the trim ring around the head unit, done. I'm thinking that you're thinking about the trim ring that'll cover up the gaps, but I don't know what the stereo looks like in an E30 so I could be wrong.

If you want something to match up the interior, Alpine model's cda-9831, cda-9833, and cda-9835 have amber lights which you can adjust to match your interior perfectly.
Skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
slimjim
Almost Sideways

^^^okk...so u guys are telling me just to slide the deck in and hope it stays? thats wat im getting from all of this. i dont work at a meatshop...im no butcher
Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #12
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
^^^okk...so u guys are telling me just to slide the deck in and hope it stays? thats wat im getting from all of this. i dont work at a meatshop...im no butcher
wrap electrical tape around it, then it will stay no hoping required
and it stay in so nice believe me. may be cheap but at least you're not looking at the cheap job as it will be inside the dash

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: