Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
sski
2nd Gear Member

323, 235 or 328 as a daily commuter??

My current DD will die some day. (2000 Nissan Altima, 362,000 kms and still going strong).

When it does, I'm looking at a CPO E9x series. Just some background. I drive 180 hwy kms every day (about 40K a year). I'm married, two kids, house, cottage, boat, snowmobiles etc. The reason for this list is so ya know there are a bunch of other "demands" on my $$ beyond my commuter car. If I was single, living in an apt or in Mom's basement, I'd be driving M3 or something.

Question is 323, 325 or 328 ??? A 335 or an M3 just does not make sense.

Pros or cons to any of these or are all good cars it's just a matter of how much I want to spend? As I understand, the 323 is a 2.5L whereas the 325/328 are a 3.0L. My Altima is only a 2.4L 4cyl and is has endured 9yrs of commuting.
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
damameke
6th Gear Member

Choose from 325xi to 330xi, good for winter driving considering you are driving 180 km and you want to drive in comfort, choose the sport and premium options.

Like you said earlier, once you drive a BMW, its hard to drive the Nissan again, altho I might consider the newer Maxima.

Buy what you already have in mind.
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
ImolaMZ3
2nd Gear Member

I can only tell you my experience and what I have read to date.

I drive an '06 325, sport with manual trans. It is my daily driver with a 160km a day being the norm. I have only minor problems to date with 106,000km on the clock.

Coming from an M Roadster we find it underpowered, although if you take it to the readline it's okay. There is NO torque at all. The benefit in all of this is that we are getting 850km or better from a tank. Don't expect any more from a 323 as the motor is working so hard there is no gain. I have read on E90 post that the 328 is about 10% worse on fuel. Most people are blamming the direct injection as it is really on the only difference as they are both 3.0L engines with single stage induction. The 330 has a triple stage induction which added 35hp give or take.

You will learn to hate runflats. I tried but gave up on them for a proper set of F1's. Snow tires are essential.

The E90 makes a great commuter car albeit expensive. I always feel safe, comfortable, and it is a real drivers car. The sports package rides stiff but it is worth it just for the seats. Beware that it is pretty low for a stock package and I am on my third front lip from winter ice damage. If your are interested in a good deal let me know, see the post below for details and a pic, just no CPO.
ImolaMZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
ImolaMZ3
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
Choose from 325xi to 330xi, good for winter driving considering you are driving 180 km and you want to drive in comfort, choose the sport and premium options.

Like you said earlier, once you drive a BMW, its hard to drive the Nissan again, altho I might consider the newer Maxima.

Buy what you already have in mind.

All wheel drive is overrated. A good set of snow tires, still required on an all wheel dirve, and a winter driving course is money better spent. All wheel drive has only marginal handling advantages in poor weather, Audi's crash just as often as the rest of us, and have no difference in braking. It's heavier and has something like a 10% fuel penatly. Plus as the miles add up it is just more mechanical stuff to go wrong.

But I do agree with buying what ever you like, all wheel drive or not.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
europrince
6th Gear Member

Drive them and see what you like best. There is obviously a power to fuel economy compromise. It's really dependent on your driving style and taste.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
damameke
6th Gear Member

"All wheel drive is overrated. A good set of snow tires, still required on an all wheel dirve, and a winter driving course is money better spent"

My wife and I have taken winter driving courses and I agree that winter tires are better than all season tire.

Having said that, she is driving the 325xi with all season tire, the xi does help, it kicks in when it senses the wheel is slipping and needless to say, even with all wheel drive or just with winter tires, you drive according to the road condition.

My winter car is a 2005 matrix and it has Fusion HR1, all season tire and it is rather good in snow

From my experience, I prefer the Xi and considering that SSKI already has the 2005 BMW X3, thats the reason i suggested that he goes for the Xi model.

then again.. buy what you want and what you can afford
Old 01-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
sski
2nd Gear Member

I'm kinda thinking the 325 Rwd is the best "compromise" (can I say that?? ha ha). I can live with Leatherette (although my wife couldn't on the X3), but I'll want xenon's, sunroof and decent sound (I know it's still factory). Because I'll be going used, I'll be flexible on colour, manual vs auto.

I notice fuel economy does not really change between the models. I can get about 600km out of tank on the Altima if I baby it...500 kms if I don't. How are you driving to get 850kms out of the 325???, What's a fill generally cost??

I'd agree about bigger motor not working as hard. I noted that on the two X3's we drove (2.5 vs 3.0). Brand new the 323 vs 325 is about a 5K difference...used it has to be considerably less.
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
damameke
6th Gear Member

850 km from a tank !!!! .

Depends on how much gas price is.. I generally filled it when its at half,
so average about $35.

325i is good enough, I have both 2.5 and 3.0 engine and both are equally good
you still can open it up once in a while if you want to chance it, I dont anymore,
(cant afford the insurance ..

Go for the premium package, comes with Xenon,, moonroof and a pretty good Harmon kardon sound system, heated seat, memory seat...etc etc.

Pre 2006 will be cheaper compare to 2006 E90 models.

I am still looking for that X3, but I have to sell my 2002 SiR first.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
ImolaMZ3
2nd Gear Member

850km is my average. If I really try I can hit just over 900km. You have to work at it, skipping shifts, watching the fuel mileage meter, etc. I drive 160km a day mostly through country roads with few stops and 60km zones. I do not go above 100km/h. If I take the highway with 120km/h speeds I lose almost 100km from a tank. Cruise control easily adds 5%. Manual transmission is worth 10%. Don't believe me... look it up. When gas was $1.40 a litre and fill ups were $85 I learned to squeeze out what I could. I read about hypermiling on the net and went from there. Figure on $55 to fill up now. Be forwarned, push it hard and you can see 600km out of a tank. My wife only gets about 750km when she drives.

A few quick notes. Pre 2006 means it is an E46 chassis with a 2.5 litre motor. This is the same motor that is in the E90 323. Drive both an 05 and 06 325 and you will see and feel the difference. All E90 325's have Bi-xenon lights. You will appreciate leatherette in a daily driver as it always looks good. There are not too many manual transmissions for sale used. Less than 5% of all BMW's come to North America with a manual so you won't have a lot of choice. Most seem to be automatics with premium package. Good luck with your search and remember I know where this a nice one available
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mtech2.jpg (225.7 KB, 886 views)
Old 01-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

Hey man M3's come in 4drs now, no excuse not to get one

Jay
Old 02-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
TNation
Banned

I'd get a G35 Sedan or Nissan Maxima if you want more power, they are pretty reliable too.. If power doesn't matter, even a Lexus IS350/250 are cheap, have better resale, and I think, come with more options, plus better looking.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #12
sski
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
I'd get a G35 Sedan or Nissan Maxima if you want more power, they are pretty reliable too.. If power doesn't matter, even a Lexus IS350/250 are cheap, have better resale, and I think, come with more options, plus better looking.
These are all viable options. Not sure lexus is any cheaper. I just did a quick search on lexus.ca and you're still over 30K for IS250. I can get an E90 325i under 30K on BMW.ca. (I'm kinda looking 2006).

I'm driving the Altima now, so I'd agree G35 reliability should be decent. Friend of mine is driving a G35, he said its a pig on fuel. Again, pricing is not any great value.

I notice too, when searching around on BMW.ca CPO site, Autohaus BMW seems to consistantly come out as better value on their CPO units. Maybe they don't budge on price and the others have left bargaining room. But on paper I'd be tempted to go there first.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sski View Post
These are all viable options. Not sure lexus is any cheaper. I just did a quick search on lexus.ca and you're still over 30K for IS250. I can get an E90 325i under 30K on BMW.ca. (I'm kinda looking 2006).

I'm driving the Altima now, so I'd agree G35 reliability should be decent. Friend of mine is driving a G35, he said its a pig on fuel. Again, pricing is not any great value.

I notice too, when searching around on BMW.ca CPO site, Autohaus BMW seems to consistantly come out as better value on their CPO units. Maybe they don't budge on price and the others have left bargaining room. But on paper I'd be tempted to go there first.
My Dad has an 06 G35X sedan and its been bulletproof. Not one major fault, or issue. His gets 25 mpg commuting into Mississauga on the 407, so its not bad I like his sedan, its great in the winter, is pretty luxurious and has lots of nice options for its money.
Get an IS250 if you want gas mileage, low low kilometers, Lexus reliability and factory warranty. Here's one with only 30k km.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ104593528
who can say no to that?

or this one, with 27k km
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ103693824

etc, etc. So many good deals on them, and they're awesome cars!
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:30 PM   #14
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

My E90 325i gets the same highway fuel economy as my 318ti, which is around 7.5L/100kms. I think it's gearing that has the most to do with it.

In the city, the 325 gets about 11-12L/100 kms, whereas the TI gets 10L/100...very very close, especially when comparing the size and power output of both cars.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #15
BMRbudz
1st Gear Newbie

I have an e90 325i. I have to agree with the fuel consumption. I average approximately 600KM per tank. Sometimes I get more. On long distance with cruise control I can get up to 900KM per tank.
I recently bought an aFe intake since then I am yet to get better than 550KM. That's only because I rip it everytime...lol. I drive approximately 70KM to and from work. I am good with a tank of gas all week.

If I drive very conservative I can get better than 600Km/60L. Overall it is a great car. When it comes to servicing take it to a local shop instead of a dealer. You will save alittle.

Good luck.
BMRbudz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: