Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
I.E. problem, help?

i have been having this problem with my internet explorer for a few weeks now.....im not able to bring up any web pages.

i have cogeco cable internet and phone. i do not need to connect manualy to the internet. when i turn on my computer im automaticly connected to the WWW.

i am able to sign on to msn messenger, send messages, recieve messages, along with files. the weird thing is that im not able to bring up any web pages on IE or mozilla.

i have done a system restore, nothing changed.... i have reset IE, nothing changed.....also, i insert a lynix OS cd, select that i want to run, not save, and im able to access any and all web pages on lynix.

currently i am using my laptop wich is still able to get internet connection and bring up web pages. apart frrom yesterday. the same thing happened on the laptop. i resest my router and modem, it fixed the issue on the laptop but not the desk top (which is the problem comp).

when i use IE, my home page is :http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157. a message appears which says im not connected to the internet, and does not display the site. so i try any other web page, and this is displayed in the URL: http:///. message appears that says that the URL i typed in is not valid. and URL displayed is: http:///

also would it be possibel to download IE set up and reinstall IE to resolve the issue?

any help would be awseom.....

flickr

Last edited by craigIS; 01-05-2009 at 09:48 PM.
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

sounds like you have a rogue virus that is hijacking your browsers
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
Fel
Not Banned

Yeah, that sounds like virus or malware of some sort... kind of unusual behavior, especially if it happens on more than one browser.

Run a scan on your system with whatever antivirus you use. Do the same with malware programs such as AdAware and Spybot (if you don't have these, download them on another computer and transfer them with a flash drive.)

See what that turns up and report back.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
dbworld4k
Addict

Definitley some sort of malware. Install Super AntiSpyware and be done with the demons!

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

thanks guys.. ill have a look into it.

flickr
Old 01-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

best program i can advise you to use is MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Run a scan with it.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
BabyHerc
2nd Gear Member

If it is a virus, you'll have to save all your important files and reinstall Windows. Aside from that, have you gone into Control Panel>Network Settings and look over your internet conections? Right click your internet connection icon and make sure it's not disabled, then click on repair.
BabyHerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyHerc View Post
If it is a virus, you'll have to save all your important files and reinstall Windows. Aside from that, have you gone into Control Panel>Network Settings and look over your internet conections? Right click your internet connection icon and make sure it's not disabled, then click on repair.

no such luck yet with spy bot or any other prorams. there is not software from cogeco installed on any of my comps. everything is done from cogeco's end. i turn my comp on and automaticaly have the net. i can use msn messenger and yahoomessenger.

i am going to go into norton and check for any addware, spy ware or virus' by going threw unresolved occurances. ill let you know how that goes

flickr
Old 01-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire291 View Post
no such luck yet with spy bot or any other prorams. there is not software from cogeco installed on any of my comps. everything is done from cogeco's end. i turn my comp on and automaticaly have the net. i can use msn messenger and yahoomessenger.

i am going to go into norton and check for any addware, spy ware or virus' by going threw unresolved occurances. ill let you know how that goes
nod32 and kaspersky, try those.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

well solved the issue.....funny thing. i went into norton and went to firewall - network to see what exactly norton has been blocking with the fire wall. turns out that norton has been blocking ISP's (cogeco) fire wall. so i was able to use msn messenger but not the WWW. all i did was click on cogecos most recent IP address and has it changed to a trusted party.....

pretty simple....yet tok so long to figure out..

thanks for the help guys

flickr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: