Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > BMW News
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #31
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naplese30 View Post
Whats the life span of a turbo,,, maybee 100k if you let it warm up and cool down properly? Long term I dont like it at all, but you gotta love the torque of a turboed engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis View Post
life span is much longer then that with factory turbo cars. they don't run much pressure stock. its when turbos start running 15psi and higher does the life span start to really shorten (depending on the turbo)
i doubt bmw's 8psi does anything at all on life span to the turbos.
so my next m3 will probably be turbo.

Wtf... Are you guys serious? I've had a turbo car in my driveway that had 300K on it. Everything original, it saw 20psi a couple times and took it like a champ.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #32
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Sadly, you are right. Most of us do not fall under the targeted demographic.
I do feel that having two variants of the same car is a good way to attract more(younger?) potential buyers.
I don't think its beneficial for the manufacturer to make two variations. It just becomes two of everything. Two time cost and time of development, crash testing etc etc... And then they have two versions to sell, one of which will probably be the lesser in terms of sales... remember car manufacturers are here to make money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamE30e View Post
Wtf... Are you guys serious? I've had a turbo car in my driveway that had 300K on it. Everything original, it saw 20psi a couple times and took it like a champ.
O RLY? 20psi for all 300k?

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #33
naplese30
1st Gear Newbie

Unfortunetly ,speacial low option low weight variants always cost an arm and a leg more which prices them out of the younger hardcore drivers price range. Also who wants to pay a few hundred dollars for a track day only to have their car go into limp mode because overheating issues....335I anyone
naplese30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #34
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
I don't think its beneficial for the manufacturer to make two variations. It just becomes two of everything. Two time cost and time of development, crash testing etc etc... And then they have two versions to sell, one of which will probably be the lesser in terms of sales... remember car manufacturers are here to make money...
They will still make money.

Having a 135i with only manual sport CLOTH interior, PW, AC, and a nice audio system, available in 6spd manual with the BBK etc, will price A LOT lower than the full bells and whistles moels they sell now.
One will be like 32K the other will be 45K$. People like me, might be less reluctant to dump the 32K and pick one up.

Same with the M3, it comes with all the electronic gizmos that are needed to send a space shuttle to the space station, at a hefty price of like 70K.
Now, If they just make a version available with only cloth recaros, PW, AC, Sound system, the price of the car just became 50K. Once again, someone like me might say to themselves, hey this is justified now, I am not dumping AS MUCH money on a new car with all sorts of crap I don't need.

You don't think these "base" models will sell well, right along its more expensive version, which, will be purchased by the types of people Mystikal described?

I mean, honestly, the e60 M5 doesn't even appeal to me that much anymore. Not only are they EVERYWHERE, but it seems like besides all the power, they probably lack a lot of the true M car feel? I mean I've never driven one, so it is al speculations, but you know what I am saying?

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #35
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

But Terry, what you don't realize is that having that cheap stripper model will also reduce sales of the normal model (which is a more profitable product).

Any increase in net sales will only be offset by that.

Also, the E36 M3 came pretty stripped in the US. No sunroof, no cruise, no leather, no OBC...etc. It was discredited in the press for it.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #36
ShortShifter
Sex Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact View Post
You only got to worry when they go Diesel for M cars
Why? Diesel race engines are awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Only if you have an iVag.
ShortShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #37
JazzM
6th Gear Member

Well when you bring in the guy who ran AMG for Mercedes to run M GmBH we will likely see a lot of fundemental changes. Including X5/X6 M cars, etc...

///M now stands for ///Marketing and you can't have a non-M car with more power then the M version.

T.

Last edited by JazzM; 12-02-2008 at 04:23 PM.
JazzM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #38
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
With one of the main goals being fuel economy, there's just no way.
With my m3 being supercharged I can't see the difference at all in mileage. However step on the pedal too hard don't matter N/A, turbo or supercharger your mileage will suffer.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #39
e30bim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPOWERD View Post
^^ exactly my point. Day-to-day driving wise, the torquey 3.0L-TT motor is great for zipping through traffic. On a road course, there's nothing like the crisp throttle response of an N/A motor when doing heal/toe manuvers and mid corner modulation. I think BMW ///M division should keep their 120+HP/Liter N/A motors and focus on SERIOUSLY DIETING THEIR CARS. Extensive use of carbon composites, aluminum etc.. whatever it takes to get them 250+kg lighter than their non-M versions.
Well put. I think turbo's are for people with small cocks. NA is the only way to go. It's real muscle, turbos are like cars bodybuilding on steroids.
e30bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #40
csl_barbie
1st Gear Newbie

Anything with a blow off valve gets me wet
Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #41
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

^^^ nice lol.

Jay
Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #42
BMW325IS
2nd Gear Member

So now M cars= FI HP gains + Heavy Chasis+ Electrionics? ..I thought MB AMGs are like this...
BMW325IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:13 AM   #43
TNation
Banned

hey its not like BMW to do this, but i'm curious to test drive a stock turbo M3 now haha
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #44
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

SHould've done it long time ago.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #45
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_POWER View Post
SHould've done it long time ago.
the competition hasn't been doing this, unless you count the WRX STI as competition (which it really isn't)
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: