Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > BMW News
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #16
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Yeah it seems the newer cars are getting way too big and fancy.
Seems like they're kind of slipping away from being an "M"
They should all be like the CSL

...well maybe a tad more practical.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #17
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Real deal ///M cars died with the e36 M3 euro.

The e39 M/e46 M, are nice, but they still have too many electronic gizmos and seem like they might be a bit too disconnected.(I have only ridden in them, so I can't speak for a fact).

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #18
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPOWERD View Post
^^ exactly my point. Day-to-day driving wise, the torquey 3.0L-TT motor is great for zipping through traffic. On a road course, there's nothing like the crisp throttle response of an N/A motor when doing heal/toe manuvers and mid corner modulation. I think BMW ///M division should keep their 120+HP/Liter N/A motors and focus on SERIOUSLY DIETING THEIR CARS. Extensive use of carbon composites, aluminum etc.. whatever it takes to get them 250+kg lighter than their non-M versions.
I think you hit the nail on the head there. Most "sports" cars these days... aren't. They're so full of useless luxury crap so that their wealthy owners can get a back massage and warm their ass while listening to satellite radio and follow their gps to the nearest members only. It's retarded. I can understand that for the major money you need to put out these days, people want a little something in return, but so much of it is unnecessary.

Sports cars should have a throttle and a wheel. If you want a fast luxury car, call it that. Don't try to do both.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #19
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

I say A 24 cylinder 8 turbo in a coil-overed shopping cart is the only real solution here. Period.
MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #20
JunzieB
Wants more powaaa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroE36 View Post
I say A 24 cylinder 8 turbo in a coil-overed shopping cart is the only real solution here. Period.
That sounds mighty powerful. But how are you going to fit a 24 cylinder engine in a shopping cart?

Quote:
Disclaimer:The opinions expressed by JunzieB is his alone and does not reflect the opinions of Maxbimmer or any members thereof. JunzieB is not responsible for any hurt feelings that may develop during the reading of his posts.
JunzieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #21
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

its a scary thought. think of it like this. most of those turbo M's will defenatly have boost increased by the new owners. 2 years after the lease is over, everything goes back to stock. you go out and buy this 2 year old M with high expectations, and all your going to end up with is a lemon thats spitting out more oil the Mc'Donalds deep friers!

I say **** Turbos in M cars! Heck throw them in the alpinas! M's have always been known for high compression high reving torquey motors.
Jay
Old 11-29-2008, 04:39 AM   #22
maroli
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Real deal ///M cars died with the e36 M3 euro.

The e39 M/e46 M, are nice, but they still have too many electronic gizmos and seem like they might be a bit too disconnected.(I have only ridden in them, so I can't speak for a fact).

the fact is that the e36 had as bad steering feel as the e46. They remain deeply challenging chassis tho...the e46 in no way is a bad car. Most serious car mags WILL rate the e46 as a better car than the e36 M3
Old 11-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #23
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

lol, the purist arguments are coming out.

Fact is, the "real" enthusiasts who want hardcore track machines aren't buying BMWs, and never have been. It's a luxury sports sedan, and this is not new. BMW does market research, and this is what the $100k+ junior executives demand from a car (lots of power, insane handling numbers, electronic features galore, etc etc). It's an everything car, if you want real performance you'd be driving an Elise, or a kit car.

Sure, the M brand philosophy established with the M1 and then passed on the E30 M3 is vastly different from what has gone on since (hell even the E24 and E28 models are pretty OFF from the track story fairy tales), but people don't really want that today. If they did, BMW would be importing CSLs and actually building 135 Tii models.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #24
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
lol, the purist arguments are coming out.

Fact is, the "real" enthusiasts who want hardcore track machines aren't buying BMWs, and never have been. It's a luxury sports sedan, and this is not new. BMW does market research, and this is what the $100k+ junior executives demand from a car (lots of power, insane handling numbers, electronic features galore, etc etc). It's an everything car, if you want real performance you'd be driving an Elise, or a kit car.

Sure, the M brand philosophy established with the M1 and then passed on the E30 M3 is vastly different from what has gone on since (hell even the E24 and E28 models are pretty OFF from the track story fairy tales), but people don't really want that today. If they did, BMW would be importing CSLs and actually building 135 Tii models.
I disagree to some extent. Some of us want just enough luxuries to make daily driving comfortible, but also want a real driver car, something that gives you feedback, doesn't have any traction control ammenities, is play down and dirty fun.

That is why I like how a lot of cars in europe you can get as an S(regular) or as an LE. The e34 M5 could be had as a bare bones front power windows only, or as a fully loaded, leather et all rocket ship.

I feel that they need to continue this trend.

If I was buying a brand new BMW 135 or 335i tomorow, I would want, PW, Sunroof, nice sound system, and AC. I don't need the million other gadgets that would come in a 335i. They weight the car down. The provide more unnecesary distractions for the driver, and are just plain useless 85% of the time.

BTW, I am not a hardcore purist. If I was, I would be raving how the underpowered, cool looking, 4 banger, equivalent of a Civic(albeit much better), is the greatest thing since slice bread.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Toys

Last edited by bmwm5lover; 11-29-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #25
uber e36
6th Gear Member

^^ But reality is the majority of new M3 buyers are not like you (with no offense meant).

The only turbo car I have driven is my S4. I've chipped it and I now lover turbos. But I have run into the lag problem once or twice when I was creeping along slowly in 2nd gear and when I go to accelerate.... nothing.

Last edited by uber e36; 11-29-2008 at 04:20 PM.
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #26
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

They should supercharge the new M cars. Better power curve, powers there when you need it.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #27
Mystikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber e36 View Post
^^ But reality is the majority of new M3 buyers are not like you (with no offense meant).
Exactly what Geoff said. Terry, you don't fit the demographic of a typical new M buyer. You know, 30+ year old average age and $150k+ annual salary, etc. More like 40+ and $250k+ for an M5/M6.

@stancejay
Old 12-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #28
Mystikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble65 View Post
They should supercharge the new M cars. Better power curve, powers there when you need it.
With one of the main goals being fuel economy, there's just no way.

@stancejay
Old 12-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #29
Gamite

Enthusiasts car will probably now come in the way of a light weight CSL 1 series (Return of the Evo?)

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #30
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Exactly what Geoff said. Terry, you don't fit the demographic of a typical new M buyer. You know, 30+ year old average age and $150k+ annual salary, etc. More like 40+ and $250k+ for an M5/M6.
Sadly, you are right. Most of us do not fall under the targeted demographic.
I do feel that having two variants of the same car is a good way to attract more(younger?) potential buyers.

Toys

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: