Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #16
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

sorry to be late on this, but have you considered import car centre's service place on campbell off carling? i always got my 540 serviced there. never cheap, but always did a great job.

EDIT: I had the wrong name. This is them: http://importcarcentre.ca/index-4.html
Old 11-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #17
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

I hadn't considered them, but I didn't know about them.

I had heard good things about Autovation on here, and they can apparently do the job faster than Todd will be able to, so I'll take that chance.

Todd will likely continue to be first call for me, however, should I keep the Bimmer (I am a little frustrated right now. Just a smidge). He works for a fair price, is reasonably close to my place, and has done good work for me in the past.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:41 AM   #18
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Update

The car is at Autovation, and they got the injectors hooked up correctly. That's good!

Then the car wouldn't start, and wouldn't stay running. That's bad.

So, they did a smoke test. That's good!

And they found a massive vacuum leak from the rear of the intake manifold. That's bad.

So, they're going to pull it all apart again to find the leak. I must have cocked some thing up in the reassembly . I am looking at possibly 5.5 hours labout, plus any parts they need. They'll be doing the job later today, or early tomorrow. This thing better run like a top when it's done, or I'll be hostile. So much for DIY to save money.

On the upside, I am having a hoot ripping around in my SVT Contour again. Such excellent intake noises.......
Old 11-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #19
chromius
6th Gear Member

Good to hear it's on it's way. and at least in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #20
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Further update: Just got off the phone with Autovation -- they got the leak fixed, but they say it still has a stumble. They say the plugs are rough due to the rich running condition (changed to NGK double plats -- the four prong ones August 07), and that the valve cover gaskets are leaking like crazy (replaced last December when the timing chain job was done). Add in an oil change (good to do anyway -- it's due), and I am getting tuned for close to $1400.

Not happy in the slightest.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #21
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

A further update: I picked up the car on Sunday. It started up, and settled into a nice idle -- not the sputtering and stalling it did previously. I drove it home gingerly as suggested by the mechanic (he said that there was a lot of gas in the old oil). We then used it to go to lunch, and when I pulled away fromt he stop at the end of my street, my girlfriend turned to me with some surprise in her eyes and said "Wow, that's smooth."

I may have bitched about paying so much to get it going, but it is truly running better now than it ever has since I bought it.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #22
chromius
6th Gear Member

Glad to hear it's a happy ending.

What's your verdict on Autovation?
Old 12-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #23
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Thus far, I can speak well of the work they did -- the car is running beautifully -- but I wasn't totally blown away by how some of the things were handled. I would call them ,and every time I did, something else needed fixing. From the result, this was likely accurate, but it left a weird feeling in my gut, like I was being upsold.

Now, I am impatient in these matters, and I will call a shop to get answers before they call me, so this might have been my own doing, calling them before they have the chance to call me.

Labour was $80/hour, IIRC. They got me right in, which was welcome.

They use Total oil, which I had only heard of a couple of times. Judging by their website, their full synthetics meet LL001 specs at the minimum. Autovation's price is on par with Autobahn in Manotick for oil changes -- about $70, IIRC.

They use Bosch plugs -- I insisted on NGK platinums, so it cost me about $3 more for plugs. They seemed unaware of the issues some have had with the plugs backing out of the heads and electrodes breaking off, but these are not the norm.

But again, I can't argue with the results.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: