Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Damn Foot well is WET!

As mentioned in the earlier thread "Lock Freeze" MLue mentioned that the vapour barried is the cause of the locks freezing and if the barrier is not installed properly, you'll get water in the foot well.

Well guess what i go wash the car today, and check the rear passenger side foot well....and what do you know its ****ing soacked!

Faaaack!

i havent even touched that door, unless the previous owner **** around with it.

which way does the water actually enter the floor area?
Dado 540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
bscarlett
2nd Gear Member

I just had this happen to me. I was cleaning the car and suddenly the shop vac started sucking up water in the rear passenger footwell. Fortunately, this is very common. The water enters the interior of the door where the bottom of the window meet the door and this is normal. There is a vapour barrier on the inside of the door panel that is a thin foam material sealed around the enges to the door. The idea is that water reaches the inside of the door, runs along the vapour barrier to ta a drain hole that directs it to the bottom of the door where is drains out. In my case, the seal from the foam had failed and the water ran to the inside of the door panel and into the foot well. Theere was mold starting to build up on the door panel. Do some searching for vapour barrier on bimmerfest and that will get you into the right direction. My BIG work of advice is to peel the old vapour barrier off carefully and head to your local dealership and ask NICELY for some adhesive. The parts guys might have to ask a shop mechanic for what you need. It comes in a roll and there are about 5 strips on the roll. You need about 3 feet and you can piece the adhesive around. It needs to be a continuous seal. Do not listed to the fools at Canadian Tire. They sold me goop which did not seal and just ruined the vapour barrier and I had to buy a new one at $65.00. You can re-use the old one as long as your carefull removing the old adhesive.

Once you have replaced the vapour barrier, leave the door panel off for a couple of days to test your fix and to allow the door panel to dry out completely.

PM me if you run into any problems...I did mine twice.

2005 X5 Sterling Grey/Truffle Brown, Premium and Cold Weather Package, DICE iPod Kit, Bluetooth, DSP, Comfort seats, Invision DVD Headrests, Valentine V1 hardwired, TomTom GPS
bscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Thank you very much sir. I will try that. Will contact you if i run into any problems.
Dado 540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
mirek
6th Gear Member

check to make sure you don't have a rotted hole under the carpet
mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:58 PM   #5
mike635
1st Gear Newbie

I found on one of my e34's that water was comming through the firewall, rust had formed around the a/c tube and water would come into the car leaking on to both sides!! Now you figure that one out?
I was so f***ing pist off
mike635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:34 AM   #6
Gamite

Check the drain holes at the bottom of the doors. They can get plugged up and the water can fill up to the height where the inner panel meets the door.

There are two on each door at either ends.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: