Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Lock freeze

I believe this is a common problem with early production of E39's, but in the extreme cold weather once i open the driver side door i cant close it. The latches simply will not hook on to the frame because they are frozen.

So when i go to work early morning i have to drive with one hand holding my door closed. Just as i pull up to the parking lot the latches would unfreeze and the door would close normaly.

From what i understad it was a design flaw. On the later models certain parts were coated with plastic to prevent the metal inside the lock/hinge from sticking.

Anyone else had this problem, and what do you think are some of the solutions, other than having a heat gun handy?
Dado 540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
cdb
2nd Gear Member

I'd love to know some solutions as well! Such a stupid problem to deal with throughout the winter.
cdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb View Post
I'd love to know some solutions as well! Such a stupid problem to deal with throughout the winter.
I have the same problem with the rear left door after washing the car in the winter. i was told to take the pannel off, carefully remove the vapour barrier and lubricate the lock with lithium grease, carefully reinstall the vapour barrier and pannel. I haven't done it yet but soon.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
I have the same problem with the rear left door after washing the car in the winter. i was told to take the pannel off, carefully remove the vapour barrier and lubricate the lock with lithium grease, carefully reinstall the vapour barrier and pannel. I haven't done it yet but soon.
Was that a recomendation from Bmw or just someone who has done it?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado 540 View Post
Was that a recomendation from Bmw or just someone who has done it?
From someone who has done it.

PS. Make sure you reinstall the moisture barrier correctly of you will fine water in you rear foot well when it rains.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

I just did some reaserch on this, and came across TSB - technical service bulletin.

Shocked with all the problems E39 owners experienced!!!

MLue i've noticed that the rear door is quite common issue and some people have had it fixed under the TSB warranty. You might wanna swing by the dealership and see what they say.

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/TSB

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: