Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Sessionz
pfft @ zoomzoom

90' E34 525i Question Again!

Hey guys,

I've been getting alot of help from this community.. and well.. I still need more help lol!!!

I just bought a new rad fresh winter tires.. alls good and my car starts overheating.

apparently I need replace my heater core. Dose anyone know who can do this for me?... the guy who did my rad said that he'd have to open the dash and he dose not have any experience with BMW's so... I can only drive short distances untill i get my car fixed!

any info would be great.
Sessionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Sessionz
pfft @ zoomzoom

bump,

saw a couple of mechanics.. none willing to pop the dash open to change heater core.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
zubbie
Happy Happy Joy Joy

What are your symptoms again? Is your car overheating? I don't understand. This does not mean you need a new heater core. You will smell rad fluid and the car will fog up when the heat is on if your heater core is leaking?

If your car is overheating it is likely because the guy who installed your rad didn't bleed the system properly and you still have air in the system. bleed, fill, bleed, fill... (oh, and find a new mechanic)

89 535iA ; 93 M5
zubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
Sessionz
pfft @ zoomzoom

I had a new rad installed.... and what happens is... i was driving it one day and it over heated the guy who did the rad told me i need to check on my antifreeze every other day so i needed to open the cap and unscrew the screw infront of it.. he told me to keep pouring antifreeze untill it comes out of that screw part and it did.. so i closed everything up and started driving it was fine.. and then...

the next day i go to move my car theres a pool of antifreeze in my driveway and its leaking from under the car.. so i brought it back to him ... picked up winter tires and then he calls me saying i owe him 400.00 for winter rims and tires and its the heater core and he's mechanics cant do it.

he had no refferal...and I'm starting a new job so i need to get this car fixed a.s.a.p!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubbie View Post
What are your symptoms again? Is your car overheating? I don't understand. This does not mean you need a new heater core. You will smell rad fluid and the car will fog up when the heat is on if your heater core is leaking?

If your car is overheating it is likely because the guy who installed your rad didn't bleed the system properly and you still have air in the system. bleed, fill, bleed, fill... (oh, and find a new mechanic)

edit yes the car dose steam up... it kinda goes away when i turn my heater on but i smell like chemicals or something... i dunno. its odd.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #5
zubbie
Happy Happy Joy Joy

sounds like your mechanic was right then, heater core. I don't live in Toronto but there must be a number of good independant BMW mechanics that can help you. Someone on this board will know.

I will warn you, though, this is not a cheap job. It is a $240 part plus about 5 hours labour to pull the centre console, lower middle dash and replace the heater core.

89 535iA ; 93 M5
zubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
Chucks Auto should be close if you're in Rexdale. Basically Kipling and Rexdale.

95 530i|Modifications - Work.
ACS_DAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
Sessionz
pfft @ zoomzoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli2k View Post
Chucks Auto should be close if you're in Rexdale. Basically Kipling and Rexdale.

I got the spare heater core already

and yeah I'm on islington & finch.. I'll be able to make it there no problem..

I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Thanks guys! i was stressing!

this car looks bloody sexy and i want to keep it.. but it scares the shit out of me.. till I replace almost everything and i wont be so worried everytime i get on the highway.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: