Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:26 AM   #31
jeffrie
Addict

Unplugging the O2 sensor keeps the car in closed loop (running rich) even when up to operating temp, and will not throw a code unless it's stuck here for 30min+ (I'v done it).
As you say my peak code reader told me their was a problem even though no CEL.
I doubt it's the throttle position sensor as a faulty TPS is erractic ie: depends on your foot, not consitently failing @ a certain RPM.
Throw on a supercharger, that will fix everything .

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:33 AM   #32
JazzM
6th Gear Member

sounds to me like your mass airflow sensor if not reading the air properly... assuming of course that you don't have ANY vacum leaks and that your ICV is in good shape.

Also check to see if your airfilter is clean...

T.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #33
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Dirty MAF?

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #34
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

Finally!!!!!!!!!

So here's the final chapter to this tale...

The car went to my mechanic saturday. I had my fill of it; and he suggested throwing it on the computer & see if maybe we could find something out. He hooked it up & immediately pulled a code: crankshaft pulse sensor. Me & the mech. looked at each other & thought that was odd; cause the crank sensor is only for starting the car according to Bentley. So he said he'd try his Peake tool & compare. The Peake tool also pulled a code right away: camshaft position sensor. We agreed that this was much more likely the culprit, priced one out & I said I'd check out if I could find a used one first (I have now gotten ill from throwing money at the car & not getting any results...)

So here I was on the computer looking for a used one; and as well making sure that I was getting the right one for my setup. (remember: '92 NV car with de-vanosed '94 head...don't ask why ). I went out in the garage & looked at the old head & how the vanos cam lined up to the cam sensor hole, and then how the exhaust cam did (figuring that the exhaust cam was very similar to the NV intake cam in shape)

I'm looking at some of the parts & peices on the bench, a cover that goes over the vanos cam (I'm assuming for CPS pulse); and as I'm looking at all of this I see it...

There in the pile is a small tin peice, that looks like it should be over the front of a cam, but it doesn't fit on the exhaust, oh no... that would have made me feel like so much less of an idiot...

A quick check on realoem confirmed what I had already figured out. This little peice of tin was the pulse generator wheel for the intake cam... You have got to be effin' kidding me!

So this morning I go out to the car already mad for being so stupid & not seeing this earlier, rip apart the car; again; put this peice of tin on the car; put everything back together again, unhook the battery & reset the DME; and...........

no more rpm flux, no more backfire through the intake, no more stalling on restart. Still has a tiny bit of backfire on decel; but it may still be relearning air/fuel.

I just want to thank everyone who gave some input into this 3 MONTH LONG SAGA. I guess this is a lesson in not giving up hope; no matter how stupid the answer makes you feel.... Now the car's ready to go.. just in time for winter storage!

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #35
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Nice! We all make little mistakes where we're like WTF!! and then the problem is just something you overlooked.

Glad to see my m50 head worked out for ya!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:25 PM   #36
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

works great! very happy with how this finally worked out. I gotta admit, I was really starting to lose faith in this ever working & was on the verge of selling the car as-is.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #37
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lower_Level View Post
Now the car's ready to go.. just in time for winter storage!

Do you still hate your car?
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #38
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

it's not hated quite as much now. dissappointed that it's working so late in the season. missed alot of meets I really wanted to go to

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: