Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Nguyen_E30
0011 0001 1000

e30 interior light problem

i've never owned an e30 before so my questions might be kinda noobish so take it easy on me.

i'm just wondering, in my car when i pull out the headlight switch once, my headlights go out, but my interior lights go on. when i pull it out all the way, my headlights turn on and my interior lights go out. i'm no expert on e30s as this is my first ever. i'm just wondering, is it supposed to do that? or are my headlights/interior lights supposed to light up if the switch is pulled out all the way?

also, my old cluster was garbage, as the guage lighting didnt work as well as the kms. i replaced the cluster today with my friends old cluster from his car. my problem here is that, the guage lighting once again does not work or it might just be that it is too bright outside to tell that it is on. if the cluster lighting does not work, any clue as to what to check and or replace?

thanks, ricky
Nguyen_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
iignite
2nd Gear Member

check fuses first,
i'm having similar problems so im gunna grab another light switch, but for now, im driving with all lights on(pulled out farthest) at all times...

when i get mines, ill test it out on yours first
iignite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
Docherty
2nd Gear Member

im gona guess headlight switch. Or bad/shorted wire at the switch.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
e30jones
3rd Gear Member

I'd check all your fuses, make sure none are blown.

By interior lights, do you mean dash lights or something else? Is this a car with daytime running lights? Not sure how DRL cars work, but the older e30's, when in the first position, only the park lights and the tails, markers and dash lights should be on (no headlights, as you would use this position when "parked") Pulled out all the way, everything should be on.

Dash lights can be hard to see in the day, best to do your light testing just at dusk when it gets darker. Also try spinning the knob counterclockwise to adjust the dimming on the dash lights.
e30jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

You have daytime running lights for sure. All the headlights come on with the switch off. On 5ers there is a light meter than turns on the dash lights at night, so you can leave the switch alone, but I don't remember if my 90 325i did that.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
Nguyen_E30
0011 0001 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30jones View Post
I'd check all your fuses, make sure none are blown.

By interior lights, do you mean dash lights or something else? Is this a car with daytime running lights? Not sure how DRL cars work, but the older e30's, when in the first position, only the park lights and the tails, markers and dash lights should be on (no headlights, as you would use this position when "parked") Pulled out all the way, everything should be on.

Dash lights can be hard to see in the day, best to do your light testing just at dusk when it gets darker. Also try spinning the knob counterclockwise to adjust the dimming on the dash lights.
yes, i meant my dash lights. they dont turn on, even on the newer replaced cluster. headlights are on when switch is pushed in. pulled out to the centre, the headlights cut out but console lights are on, pulled out all the way, headlights turn back on but console lights turn off. anyone have a clue as to what's wrong? fuse maybe?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
Nguyen_E30
0011 0001 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
You have daytime running lights for sure. All the headlights come on with the switch off. On 5ers there is a light meter than turns on the dash lights at night, so you can leave the switch alone, but I don't remember if my 90 325i did that.
yes, my daytime running lights are on when the button is pushed in. when pulled to the centre, headlights cut out but console lights turn on. pulled out all the way, headlights go back on but interior lights die out. i'll check fuses today.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

console lights should be on with the switch pulled out once and all the way.

Sounds like something is wrong somewhere, the fact that they work at the #1 position and don't at the #2, sounds like it might not be a fuse. But check in case. It does sound more like a problem with the switch.

ALso you can replace the bulbs on the back of the cluster if one or two are out. No need to replace the whole cluster, just change the blubs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: