Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #1
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Moving to the east coast

So I'm quite likely going to be in Ontario for 2 years, and currently my bmw is mint. No rust, no paint issues, nothing that causes me any stress.....but the thought of having it on the east coast scares me. How affordable is it to store a vehicle for the salt season, I've seen parking garages being rented out and someone drives it once a week for you, possibly overkill for an e30.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Ontario is coastal now? Anyways, I don't have much experience with storing cars, but it's mostly the same as storing boats. I'd change your engine oil, put fuel stabilizer in the gas (and run the car for a bit to ensure that it mixes/is in the lines), maybe a bit of oil in the cylinders, disconnect the battery and put the car up on blocks (or just add a bit of extra air to the tires) to prevent flat spotting. Then, just sit back and wait till spring. Just throw the battery on a trickle charger every so often to prevent sulfation of the plates.

By the way, make sure that you've got a coolant and washer fluid mix that's good to about -30 °C (or lower depending on where you'll be in Ontario) so that things don't freeze up on you, unless you're considering heated storage. However, I don't think there's any advantage to heated storage for an E30 (if I can drive my E30 without problem in those temperatures, storing it should be even better - the cold doesn't hurt, it's the thermal cycling of the interior and mechanicals that's the problem).
cirrusblau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
andicanada
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to andicanada
storage is not a big problem in the gta ,when you do move to ontario keep your bc insurance it is better and cheaper. I noticed that when i moved from Bc to Ontario
and yes the Salt is killer went truogh the same stuff with my e30
andicanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
noid
5th Gear Member

rent a u-haul storage place at something like 25-30 a month?
noid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: