Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
zackman17
Banned

e30 fly wheel question

hey when i broke my oil pan and i was patching it up in a parking lot to get it 120km home i noticed my flywheel was missing 2 teeth? this may sound stupid but is this bad? i cant really tell if they have been chipped off or if they are just recessed in like that? what effect will this have will it f@#@$ up timing or something?
zackman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Flywheel or the other thing? Flywheel is on the back of the engine, the other thing is on the front. The M20B25 (not sure about the other engines in the E30) has the crank reference sensor at the front of the engine and reads the "teeth" (the sensor is inductive and the "teeth" passing by give pulses). The missing teeth are on purpose to distinguish a certain point in the rotation of the crank.

As for the flywheel, if you're missing teeth there, depending on how bad it is, you may have trouble starting the car using the starter, but that's as far as the problems go (at least for the M20B25).
cirrusblau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
zackman17
Banned

hold on i have a pic i think i have the b27 motor and WOW MB THIS IS WHY IM HAVING STARTING ISSUES
Old 08-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
zackman17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusblau View Post
Flywheel or the other thing? Flywheel is on the back of the engine, the other thing is on the front. The M20B25 (not sure about the other engines in the E30) has the crank reference sensor at the front of the engine and reads the "teeth" (the sensor is inductive and the "teeth" passing by give pulses). The missing teeth are on purpose to distinguish a certain point in the rotation of the crank.

As for the flywheel, if you're missing teeth there, depending on how bad it is, you may have trouble starting the car using the starter, but that's as far as the problems go (at least for the M20B25).
here is a pic
Attached Images
File Type: gif fly.gif (39.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 08-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
zackman17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusblau View Post

better pic
Attached Images
File Type: gif fly.gif (59.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 08-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
noid
5th Gear Member

Supposed to be like that its for the crank positioning sensor
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
zackman17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid View Post
Supposed to be like that its for the crank positioning sensor
thanks man that's wat i thought but i wasnt sure...dude im lucky the day after that cruise my car stalled and i am having problems with it now.~!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
noid
5th Gear Member

Details of the problem?
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
zackman17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid View Post
Details of the problem?
i wqs driving and all of a sudden it started to loose power and the more i pushed the gas the more it shuddered and i let off the gas it felt like it was going to come back then died right on the lakeshore it took me about 5min to get it started again. and dint start easy. now i let it sit in my driveway for about a month and i go to start it and if i dont give it gas for a few min it will die. that was for the first time starting in a month.then it went away and the car would idle by itself fine now i was thinking leaking injectors? or one of my sensors.any imput?
Old 08-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
zackman17
Banned

and i got the lambada code i think it's called 1444 wich means the majority of the sensors but that code doesnt show, it's showing a no fault code now
Old 08-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Any problems I've had with with more gas and shuddering like that are from much too lean a mix from lack of fuel. You'll have that exact problem if you start to run out of gas (faulty gas gauges are no fun).

Maybe you should start with checking that you're getting fuel (particularly pressure check at the fuel rail, and fuel regulator inspection).
Old 08-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #12
zackman17
Banned

i am gettung fuel
Old 08-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #13
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

I know that you are getting fuel, but are you getting enough?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: