Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
My 325iX thread + stupid south dakota missions + lots of e30 questions

First post is story, questions post 2

So as many of you know, i bought a 1990 bmw 325ix on ebay. Despite what everyone told me to do about buying a cheap 325ix, i ignored them, and, with the help of many friends from max, got up the balls to buy one. Regardless. The car was located in Rapid City, SD. The car had some known issues (paint = bad, occasionally fouled ECU (on its 3rd), etc), but the price was good so i bought it. Unfortunatly, the closest DAS centre to rapid city is 500 miles away in denver colorado. But as many of you know, other than selling HID's i dont really do anything with my life, so i figured what the hell, i'll just go there and drive it back. My girlfriend felt like coming with me, god knows why, but i was thrilled she wanted to come, so last thursday (31st july) we caught a ride with her brother to buffalo at 4PM, caught a 6:50 PM bus to cleveland, and crashed at my grandmother's house in cleveland, where, as many of you know, my cars are stored when they are not used. The next day, at noon, my mom (who was there visiting my grandmother), drove my girlfriend and i to the bus station. 7 hours later we were in chicago, in the worst greyhound station i've ever seen. 2 people got arrested, and someone was actually shooting heroin, right infront of me, in the mens washroom (use a ****ing stall, crackie). from chicago, we caught a bus to minneapolis, MN. Got there at 6AM, 7AM we got on the last bus we needed to transfer. Noon we got to sioux falls, and by 5PM we were in rapid city. Lots of crazy adventures on the way, but this thread will be long enough without adding every detail. The guy who i bought the car from is in the military, and was deployed, but his wife came and picked my girlfriend and i up from the bus terminal. 20 minutes later, i, for the first time, saw my first e30. It was pretty much in the shape i expected, paint was pretty rough, one quarter was resprayed, and the hood/front bumper have more rock chips in them than any car i've ever seen. However, i started her up, she ran ok, looked over a few things, paid for the car, and set out. The only thing i wasn't thrilled about, is i was told the car had H7 headlights in it, turns out they were H1 (ugly ones with angel eyes). So i couldn't install the HID's i brought. Didn't really matter, didn't plan on driving much at night.
So my girl and i left rapid city at about 8PM to go see mount rushmore (will post pics). It was great, we hung out for an hour and started heading back to rapid city to get on the highway. On the way to the highway, disaster.
Temperature gauge starts climbing, climbing climbing. I caught it right before it got to red, crank the heat. No heat. ****. I can't even pull over, cause i'm on twisty mountain road, right outside of rapid city. I limp the car back to the outskirts of rapid city, temp gauge seering hot, get to a rest stop, pull over. At this point i'm furious. Not only did i overheat the car, but when i poured water in it, it started leaking out from somewhere around the waterpump. Its saturday night, at 11pm, i'm in the middle of the american midwest, figuring i need a waterpump for a 18 year old german car, which i just overheated the shit out of, and even if i get a waterpump, who knows if it will still run. I fill up the coolant tank to be sure, climb under the car, and my girl points out to me that its leaking from the bottom passenger side of the rad. My heart skipped a beat, and i reached under the coolant hose right over the a/c compressor. A break in the line. Long story short, thanks to the wise words of tomek (Bring tools, duct tape and hoseclamps) and furious (who gave me a big ass box of hoseclamps) an hour later the car is running. No overheating, some squealing from the motor. I have 2 choices, give up on the car and take a bus home, or risk a 1300 mile trip in a e30 i didn't know anything about, other than the fact i just roasted the motor. Those of you who know me, know exactly what i did. However, what i didn't know, was there's a motorcycle rally in sturgis this past weekend in south dakota. This short highway run to get as far east as i could, and get a hotel room, ended up being a 400 mile drive in the middle of the night from rapid city, sd, to sioux falls, sd, where we arrived at 6am. The whole way there we were stopping in hotels trying to find a room, nothing. Even in sioux falls, the rooms were all booked up, but i bribed the woman at a super 8 to give me a room someone with an early flight had already checked out of, and some sheets. She agreed provided we were out of there by 12. By 7am, my girlfriend and i were sleeping for the first time in 2 days. At noon that same day, we got up, had breakfast, and started driving east. It was pretty boring for the first 2 hours, i was driving 5 over the limit, cause in the states, 20 over = wreckless endangerment (JAIL, immediatly) and i was worried the car wouldn't make it, cause i had overheated it. 2pm some guy in a passat turbo wagon with BC plates pulled up next to me in the middle of minnesota, gave me a thumbs up, and punched it. What the ****, its an e30. Tomek keeps rambling on how indestructible these cars are, lets find out. For the next hour or so, the cruise control was set at 100MPH, flying through the american countryside. For the first time since i got the car, i was enjoying myself, even though it was 35 degrees and the a/c didn't work. The rest of the trip was much less eventful. We stopped in chicago to go shopping, and then headed back to cleveland. E30 is in cleveland right now, waiting for winter. Despite my worst fears, AWD works great
Here is a map of what i drove (alone, my girl doesn't drive stick)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...687,39.375&z=5
last leg was in the civic, not the bmw.

Big thanks to everyone who helped me out with this ordeal, supernaught, furyriderX, crazy azn, tomek, chris de la cruz, mirek, jay, everyone who answered my questions. I had a chance to test a lot of stuff on the car, almost everything works with the exception of ABS.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit

Last edited by propr'one; 08-06-2008 at 10:07 PM.
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: