Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-22-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
Allstar_e36
2nd Gear Member

Attempting to bring back the shine

I just got a new hood painted and it has a nice shine to it, and i would like to bring back the shine on rest of the car. My plan is to do the following, please tell me what you think.

- Bucket Wash
- Clay
- Bucket Wash (do i need to wash again after claying?)
- Dry (will drying recontaminate the paint?)
- Polish (Should i use a buffer or by hand?)
- Remove swirls and light scratches w/ buffer (meguiars scratch X)
- Pre-Wax (Zymol)
- Wax w/ buffer( Meguiars NXT Tech wax)

I would also like to know which pad i should use at each step when buffing, i prefer pads that i can buy locally.
After the Pre-wax what sealant should i use before waxing?

- Sunny

Last edited by Allstar_e36; 07-22-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Allstar_e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:50 AM   #2
Steve@ASPTuning
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar_e36 View Post
I just got a new hood painted and it has a nice shine to it, and i would like to bring back the shine on rest of the car. My plan is to do the following, please tell me what you think.

- Bucket Wash
- Clay
- Bucket Wash (do i need to wash again after claying?)
- Dry (will drying recontaminate the paint?)
- Polish (Should i use a buffer or by hand?)
- Remove swirls and light scratches w/ buffer (meguiars scratch X)
- Pre-Wax (Zymol)
- Wax w/ buffer( Meguiars NXT Tech wax)

I would also like to know which pad i should use at each step when buffing, i prefer pads that i can buy locally.
After the Pre-wax what sealant should i use before waxing?

- Sunny
You don't need to wash after clay but it doesn't hurt.

You want to try with microfibre cloths and no it won't contaminate your vehicle because the polish will also work to remove contaminents.

To get THE BEST results get the $50 Rona Sander and it acts as polisher also. Or the Porter Cable 7424 is good too!

Depending on the types of scratches, swirls, and how deep they are you may need different compounds.

Also, with the polisher you will need 3 different type of pads, and applicator pads by hand for those hard to reach places.

You need a white, orange, and black pad.

As for wax... I don't believe in waxing as it only lasts couple months or less. I'd use a sealent which lasts longer about 6 months if applied properly.

If you want to do a really good job look to spend about $400-600 for an awesome exterior detail.

Okay now for the steps:

When you begin to polish.

You start with the most agreesive first at about 4.5 to cut down the passes, and of course watch a lot of polishing video's to get the right technique, and how fast you should be moving.

Though if your playing with easy to work with polisher and compounds you shouldn't burn your paint.

After the aggressive polish, you move to a lighter compound with the white pad which is less firm.

After a few passes of that you want to wipe it off at each stage. And then the black pad is for finishing like applying your sealent or wax.

Hope that helps.

Steve
ASPTuning
Steve@ASPTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:42 AM   #3
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

If you are really anal about contaminating/scratching the paint during washing, use a good woolen mitt, meguiars gold class wash and the two bucket wash method and do it in the shade

Don't bother polishing by hand lol.
Polishing means removing sratches, so you don't need the Meguiar scratch X

As for wax, its better to apply it by bare hand(kinda like giving the car a massage). You could also use a sealant, then a few layers of wax on top. Wax vs Sealant is a preference thing. I usually just apply a few layers of wax. I would also strongly recomend buying better waxes(preference as well). The meguiar's wax give a 'dry' shine which i hated. Other give a 'wet' shine, making your car's fenders look like they're melting.

and what he said ^^

Last edited by AceOfSpades; 07-22-2008 at 03:49 AM.
AceOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

ok, first of all, if you are new to detailing, do not ever try to use rotary buffer(any kind of sander or whatever unless it is DUAL ACTION polisher like PC). You will, I cannot emphasize this enough, burn through the paint.

and no, every manufacteror of the pads use different color for different purpose. so when someone says use orange pad, it could mean a million thiings. CHECK what you would need first.

and HELL NO, YOU NEVER EVER START FROM THE MOST AGGRASIVE abbrasive. YOU START WITH THE LEAST AGGRASIVE PAD AND matching least aggrasive agent. If it does not work, you go up one level of agent, then one level higher pad. This is so that you could perserve the clearcoats. Once the paint defect has been fixed, you now step down the least abbrasive agent to polish out the scratches that are left behind by the previous steps. finishing pads and finishing agents are needed here.

These are multiple step procedures, hence why good detailers charge what they charge.

Sealents and Wax have their own disadvantages and advantages. It all comes down to personal preferences.

Meguires scractch x is usefull to remove the finer scratches that are left behind by more abbrasive agents. Also, when using one, use little by little but more often. This is because scratchX is a diminishing agent.

Last edited by mpower1226; 07-22-2008 at 07:27 AM.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
zackman17
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower1226 View Post
ok, first of all, if you are new to detailing, do not ever try to use rotary buffer(any kind of sander or whatever unless it is DUAL ACTION polisher like PC). You will, I cannot emphasize this enough, burn through the paint.

and no, every manufacteror of the pads use different color for different purpose. so when someone says use orange pad, it could mean a million thiings. CHECK what you would need first.

and HELL NO, YOU NEVER EVER START FROM THE MOST AGGRASIVE abbrasive. YOU START WITH THE LEAST AGGRASIVE PAD AND matching least aggrasive agent. If it does not work, you go up one level of agent, then one level higher pad. This is so that you could perserve the clearcoats. Once the paint defect has been fixed, you now step down the least abbrasive agent to polish out the scratches that are left behind by the previous steps. finishing pads and finishing agents are needed here.

These are multiple step procedures, hence why good detailers charge what they charge.

Sealents and Wax have their own disadvantages and advantages. It all comes down to personal preferences.

Meguires scractch x is usefull to remove the finer scratches that are left behind by more abbrasive agents. Also, when using one, use little by little but more often. This is because scratch X is a diminishing agent.
i would like to also stress the use of a buffer by someone who doesent kno what they are doing. i have seen it happen it can be verry damaging. as for the scratch x like mpower stated it's a diminishing agent. meguires does have a polish and a cutting compound but the best stuff you can probobly buy is farclea g3 and g10 but this is what 80%of the profesionals use and it works quite well. as for a wax if your looking for something to give your car that shine factor for a decent price meguires gold class wax is awesome i waxed a client audi and i got amazing reflections, also meguires gold class wash ftw u
if you want to see some nice detailed cars with a coat of meguires gold class take a look at my facebook album. all the pics of the cars are wearing meguires gold class products

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...61#pid=1143608
zackman17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: