Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
dbworld4k
Addict

Good swirl remover product (locally)?

Can you suggest a good swirl remover product to use on a black car? My car's paint is in pretty poor shape loaded with lots and lots of swirls, some of which are pretty strong. I'd like to purchase it locally.

Second, is it an absolute necessity to clay the car before I go to town with the swirl remover?
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

to remove swirl marks, you need a polisher. it depends on the depth of the swirl marks. there are strong polishers and weak ones. try using a few combination, polish and pads and see which one works the best. remember those are 8hours minimum job if you want to do it right. menzena are good polishes
http://www.eshine.ca/
and yes, you will probably need a machine. They will give way better results compared to hand. and by hand it takes forever. take into account that you will also have to use a pre-wax lotion(because its gonna be like first time waxing) followed by a good waxing after that!

yea it is necessary to claybar the surface before polishing, because even if you gave the car your best wash, there is still ALOT of invisible contaminants left on the surface. you don't want to drag those in circles on your paint job as they are the ones responsible for swirl marks

i hope i answered your question. i am not a detailer, and please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong
AceOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
Michel
6th Gear Member

Anuk, i've got the mothers 3 stage thing that removes swirl marks and light scratches.. let me know we can do it at my place one weekend if you want. I've got the applicator and everythign.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
agentM
Detailer, tint, Chipguard

All swirl remover does the job. The question is how will it does the job. A polisher is a must to do a good job. Especially if you want to get it done in oneday.
agentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
carjoe
6th Gear Member

I use Meguiar's #9. I don't know more than that other than it's the beige professional series.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
I use Meguiar's #9. I don't know more than that other than it's the beige professional series.
fine cut or something like that? I think i use the same thing with a highspeed polisher, which is the key.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:19 AM   #7
dbworld4k
Addict

I forgot about this thread! Thanks for the replies folks. I bought myself a cheapo Simoniz ROP from CT. I figured at that price it's worth a shot and so far I am very pleased with the results. It may not be a PC7424, but it does plenty good for my needs! It's nice to fully polish/wax the car in less than half the time it used to take by hand.

Michel, I may take you up on that offer sometime soon

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
Michel
6th Gear Member

^for sure man let me know. Maybe sometime before the Bimmmersport BBq (gotta do my bros car too)
Old 07-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
Anuk, i've got the mothers 3 stage thing that removes swirl marks and light scratches.. let me know we can do it at my place one weekend if you want. I've got the applicator and everythign.
how well does the mothers 3 stage system work? and will it last, or after a few washes are the effects gone? i was thinking about getting it
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:28 AM   #10
trev0006
Banned

I an scared of these products.
trev0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:41 AM   #11
Steve@ASPTuning
2nd Gear Member

What I use for the shop here is a $50 Rona Orbital Sander, which is now a polisher that has a velcro pad.

Then buying from eshine.ca I bought the Lake Country White, and Orange cutting pads.

And since we are an authorized retailer of Prima products we use their polishing compound to polish the swirls, and deep scratches out.

Of course working on a black car makes life A LOT harder. There's only so much you can do without wetsanding.

In Toronto I do believe Bimmian carries Prima products.

Otherwise, you can also try Meguiars 85 diamond cut compound.
Then I would suggest using the orange pad for black vehicles or big jobs. You usually start with the more agressive pad, then work your way to the white pad. Then lastly use a sealent to protect the newly polished paint job!

And please do not do this by hand as it won't give you what your looking for... and plus I think overtime your going to have carpal tunnel syndrome. haha

Goodluck!

I hope that helps? If you have anymore questions or concerns please don't hesitate to PM me.

Thanks,
Steve
ASPTuning
Steve@ASPTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:46 AM   #12
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

can you adjust the speed on the orbital sander?^^
also have you ever tried both the portercable and that one side by side?
Old 07-19-2008, 03:12 AM   #13
Steve@ASPTuning
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOfSpades View Post
can you adjust the speed on the orbital sander?^^
also have you ever tried both the portercable and that one side by side?
The $50 Rona Sander, yes its adjustable!!!

I suggest since its a different type of "polisher" you can set it to 4.5 and it should cut down on your passes that you have to do. So it cuts down on time. And you MUST do a 2x2 section at a time otherwise anything larger you will lose the effectiveness of the compound and you'll be pushing around liquid....

I have used the portercable before, its really worth the buy if you can find the right price. I would suggest Ken @ Bimmertools.com for that or your local Canadian Tire, but their prices are higher.

I your new at polishing both are awesome for beginners so you don't burn your paint. Only thing I suggest is go at lower speeds like 3 and you won't burn your paint. Obviously, you have to keep the machine moving in a pattern otherwise if you leave it in one spot for too long it'll burn.

Basically the $50 sander will do the same job as the $114 - $250 Portercable 7424.

http://www.rona.ca/webapp/wcs/stores...oductId=168407

That's the link for the $50 sander.

Thanks,
Steve
ASPTuning
Old 07-19-2008, 04:46 AM   #14
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

ohhh man, that is soooo awesome.!!!! i've thought about getting the porter cable. i've always asked that question, " do i reallllllly need to spend that $250 for the porter cable or do i not" lol
i was trying to find cheaper alternatives as i didn't really need it as i have only a 'few' swirl marks
Thanks man, you are my life saver!
Old 07-19-2008, 02:12 PM   #15
Steve@ASPTuning
2nd Gear Member

Hey not a problem! There's always a cheaper alternative to everything! That's why we are working hard constantly, looking for cheaper alternatives to your BMW aftermarket parts!

Steve
ASPTuning

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: