Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-07-2003, 12:44 PM   #1
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
E-Bay

I'm curious as to what your experiences are with E-Bay.

How can you tell if the seller is reliable and what are the chances of being scammed?

I just need some pointers or tips because there are some prices for certain items which seem too attractive, i.e. very very low, but when I look at the Sellers ratings, it's always positive comments in most cases. What's up with that?
Old 03-07-2003, 01:06 PM   #2
Razkal
6th Gear Member

Hey there,

I have bought a few things off of Ebay and I haev been lucky so far. First thing that I do is to look at the seller's feedback. If they have over 10 or so and they are positive, it usually means the person is good to deal with.

Also, I will send a quick email to the person and see how long they take to respond to me and what kinda info they give. You can get an idea about this person from that. Also, I pay using paypal and make sure that the person gets me the tracking # right away too so that I can follow it...

Hope this helps...

Sanj

Need any assistance branding your company/services? :
http://www.bluemouse.ca

Razkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 01:12 PM   #3
BimmiN
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to BimmiN
I have bought and sold quite a few things on E-bay. For the most part everything hsa come as described. Check the seller's feedback. This can usually give you a pretty good idea of how reliable the seller is.
I will sometimes check the other auctions to see what other people have bought from the guy just to get an idea of what he sells, and if other buyers have been happy with the item.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:18 PM   #4
Lil'Smoothie

I've prolly made about 50 trransactions on ebay in the last 2.5 yrs

most were buying, one tiem i got scammed for about 200 canadian. the seller was a zero feedback seller. one time when I was selling a had a deadbeat bidder who also had no feedback. moral is dont deal with anyone that has less than 3-4 transactions under their belt
Old 03-07-2003, 01:41 PM   #5
330DTM
Cinematographer

Thanks for the replies, but here's an example I found.

For instance, there's a Sony VX2000 camcorder (not planning to buy but just browsing) for sale which usually retails $2,000 USD. On E-bay I spotted one for just around $400 USD. I looked at their feedbacks from other sellers an they had more than 10 positive feedbacks.

Please check out this example and let me know how you would judge from this person's item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20333
Old 03-07-2003, 01:53 PM   #6
BimmiN
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to BimmiN
Although the current bid is at $400, it will definately climb in the last hour of the auction. There is a reserve that is probably fairly close to the "Buy It Now" price (2,250).
I would say that the reserve is about $2000.
-Cody
Old 03-07-2003, 02:00 PM   #7
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
Originally posted by BimmiN
Although the current bid is at $400, it will definately climb in the last hour of the auction. There is a reserve that is probably fairly close to the "Buy It Now" price (2,250).
-Cody
dammit.. I hate when that happens.. you get so psyched about getting a great deal and then the price triples when there is 15 seconds left

Its all about going high with like 4 seconds left and a high speed connection
Old 03-07-2003, 02:10 PM   #8
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
I've been buying from ebay since it first started many years ago. It's much safer now and there are less chances of being scammed but it still does happen. I have had great success, and only one mixup. The mixup was when i originally ordered some e36 ellipsoids and the parts place sent me e38 xenon ellipsoids and wouldn't honour an exchange! Whatever, I sold them for much more $$ than I bought them for, and ended up getting ellipsoids just last friday from a different ebay user.

check their ratings before submitting your bid so you can see what people's complaints were about (if any) most complainers are idiots and it was their own fault something went wrong anyway.

buy last minute too, never bid in advance, because within the last hour or 2 of the auction is when people start bidding like crazy.

if the buy-it-now price is reasonable, and you really want the item, use that feature.

Paypal is a godsend for exchanging money quickly, safely, and easily.

And remember kids, BMW parts from germany are less expensive than from the USA (even with shipping and duties included!)

www.ebay.de is your friend =)

Attention E46Lover!

on a side note, if you want quick cash, buy every piece of $1 or less jewellery off ebay that nobody is buying, even if it's ugly. I bought over 100 items like that and ended up pawning them off for thousands =)

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Last edited by djcontra; 03-07-2003 at 02:14 PM.
djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 02:21 PM   #9
330DTM
Cinematographer

Quote:
Originally posted by BimmiN
There is a reserve that is probably fairly close to the "Buy It Now" price (2,250).
-Cody
What does it mean when you say that there's a reserve?
Old 03-07-2003, 02:38 PM   #10
Euro_E30
6th Gear Member

hs anyone bought those indiglo gagues for e30's off e-bay?????
Old 03-07-2003, 02:39 PM   #11
Euro_E30
6th Gear Member

Old 03-07-2003, 02:39 PM   #12
Euro_E30
6th Gear Member

Old 03-07-2003, 03:51 PM   #13
///Greco540
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 328DTM
What does it mean when you say that there's a reserve?
Whe you are selling an item, you have the option of putting a "reserve" amount against it. If the auction ends and your reserve price has not been met you are not entitled to sell the item to the winner. Its for the sellers to protect themselves and make sure they get top dollar for their items.

More easily said, its the lowest price you're willing to let the item sell for.
Mods: M5 Grill, CDV, AE Xenons, Rogue Engineering Octane Short Shifter w/ WSR, Rogue Engineering Performance Transmission Mounts, Royal Purple Synchromax Transmission Fluid, Gruppe M Filter Ram Charger

My Car Site
///Greco540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 04:34 PM   #14
AndreNY
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 328DTM
Thanks for the replies, but here's an example I found.

For instance, there's a Sony VX2000 camcorder (not planning to buy but just browsing) for sale which usually retails $2,000 USD. On E-bay I spotted one for just around $400 USD. I looked at their feedbacks from other sellers an they had more than 10 positive feedbacks.

Please check out this example and let me know how you would judge from this person's item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20333
hmmmmmm thanx alot man i guess im gonna take this one for me J/K
Old 03-07-2003, 06:29 PM   #15
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
328DTM, that auction has a reserve price which isn't met yet. So it will probably sell for 1k or above....if it does sell...

Also, look at how much time is left in the auction. Most of the bidding takes place in the last 10 minutes of the auction, so it may seem low but it will probably go up by a lot. I saw an $50 auction go up to $275 in about 10 seconds...

And to tell if the other guy is good, just check the feedback, and read the description VERY CAREFULLY. Some people put like a PS2 online and somewere in the bottom they put "product is picture" or something, so people bid $150+ and they just get a picture of it
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: