Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

OIL CHANGE m42 318IS

Ok , its summer and I need an oil change and transmission oil change. So, what kind of filter and where to get it cheap? I will not be dropping the oil pan this time. What brand/ grade of oil is recommended for summer? How much L? The drain plug is right under the engine right? Also, i have no idea whats in my car, is it safe to go to synthetic?

Next, transmission 5 speed. the drain plug is on the bottom I see. Where do i fill her from and how much and what grade?

Thanks guys, its my first e36 so i don t know.

m42 318is.!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

no one knows how to change their oil? for shame!
Old 06-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

For your engine oil; I'm using 5w40 syn. I got a Mahle filter from my local euro garage. I believe that it's 4.5 l to fill; but not 100% sure on that one. That's what I put in mine the last time to bring the level up to full.

Don't know about the tranny fluid cause the garage did a change for me when they did my clutch last year.

Hope that helps!

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
BigD
the misanthropist

Just get a good store brand synthetic. Look around for Mobile1 on sale, it usually is somewhere (cambodian tire, parts source, walmart etc) but be careful to not grab the dino oil, if it doesn't say synthetic, it isn't (and if the price is under like 25 bucks a jug).

For the tranny, get Lucas gear oil. You'll probably need a few quarts so might as well get their gallon jug. The fill plug is on the side of the transmission, just fill until it pours out of the hole (it doubles as the oil level check - the official level checking procedure is to shove your finger in the hole and see if the oil is level with the opening).

To fill the trans you'll want to get something like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...8074_200008074
Old 06-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
3SERB
3rd Gear Member

+1 for Mobil1
Their 10W30 is good for year round use
Old 06-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
Trekz
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Just get a good store brand synthetic. Look around for Mobile1 on sale, it usually is somewhere (cambodian tire, parts source, walmart etc) but be careful to not grab the dino oil, if it doesn't say synthetic, it isn't (and if the price is under like 25 bucks a jug).

For the tranny, get Lucas gear oil. You'll probably need a few quarts so might as well get their gallon jug. The fill plug is on the side of the transmission, just fill until it pours out of the hole (it doubles as the oil level check - the official level checking procedure is to shove your finger in the hole and see if the oil is level with the opening).

To fill the trans you'll want to get something like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...8074_200008074
thats EXACTLY what i used to fill my tranny oil, it works gear.
Trekz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Thanks guys! I picked up supplies yesterday, just waiting for the car to cool and i ll start changing. GOt mobil 1 synth 5W50 oil, and castrol 80w90 gear oil. Got the fluid transfer pump, walmart had it ( THANKS D, where were you when i was contorting filler plugs to fill the peugeot LOL) . I ll let you guys know how it goes!
Old 06-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #8
jeffrie
Addict

FYI E36's use ATF tranny fluid in their manual cars.
80w90 will still work (better IMO) but in the winter it'll be stiff to shift till it warms up a bit (uses little over 2L). I also have 80w90 in my tranny already is it eases any concern.
5W50 sythetic is great oil, I pearsonaly use 20W50 synthetic year round, A BMW 4 pot isn't picky about what you put in it's oil pan.

+1 to BigD's post.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrie View Post
FYI E36's use ATF tranny fluid in their manual cars.
80w90 will still work (better IMO) but in the winter it'll be stiff to shift till it warms up a bit (uses little over 2L). I also have 80w90 in my tranny already is it eases any concern.
5W50 sythetic is great oil, I pearsonaly use 20W50 synthetic year round, A BMW 4 pot isn't picky about what you put in it's oil pan.

+1 to BigD's post.
is this for certain? I have atf 3 and 4 in the garage, tons of it... Dad is a mechanic and loves automatic, go figure.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
jeffrie
Addict

Certain yes, drained it myself and re-filled it myself yrs ago.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

yeah, the manual takes ATF...it always trips out the guys at partsource when I ask for ATF

apparentely the power steering fluid also runs on ATF
Old 06-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #12
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

what number does it take? I ll just refill it with that and return the gear oil. Or is the gear oil better for it? 200k. I don t know! Oil change went successfully, done and runnign great.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #13
BigD
the misanthropist

Use the synthetic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: