Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
Suprano
5th Gear Member

E46 vs. E36?

Hey Guys,

So I'm moving to LA in July and I'm looking at e46 bimmers as a serious possibility; maybe even a vert. However, I've heard that e46's have a number of problems and aren't as reliable as e36 BMWs. The price on many of these cars has dropped significantly, especially in the LA area. To the point where I would consider one over an e36, so long as they're reliable cars.

If any of the e46 guys on here want to chime in with their opinions/experiences with these cars. Also, what are some of the common issues to look for when buying an e46 and are there certain models to stay away from like a 323, etc???

So what should it be, a 325/330ci or an e36 328/M3???

Cheers,

Robert
Old 05-28-2008, 12:09 AM   #2
IChopCars
aka ROOFLESS

Ive had my e46 325ci for 3 years and put 50,000 kms on it since i bought it....only thing ive done in terms of repairs are control arm/ball joints and the thermostat
Old 05-28-2008, 12:15 AM   #3
ZHP_Bimmer05
Photographer/DJ/Engineer

Send a message via MSN to ZHP_Bimmer05
hey bro whats the link for your car sale again? You should of came with me and ur bro on sunday!!

2004 Mazda RX8 GT: 6spd VR
ZHP_Bimmer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Suprano
5th Gear Member

I would have, but I took the car off insurance since I haven't really used it and it's for sale. I'll send you a link on thursday because that's when it will appear in the trader for $9950. I'll probably post on Max as well.

In any case, I saw the pics you guys did...........very very nice! I wish I could've come out. It would have made for a nice for sale pic!

Rob
Old 05-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
ZHP_Bimmer05
Photographer/DJ/Engineer

Send a message via MSN to ZHP_Bimmer05
for sure man, but you had a link on max before, in the for sale section, but i lost it

2004 Mazda RX8 GT: 6spd VR
ZHP_Bimmer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
Suprano
5th Gear Member

Here's the trader link:

http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details....ADS=7000164%7C

It'll be on there for 2 weeks.

Rob
Old 06-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
arsevader
4th Gear Member

I think you'll find the e46 a more reliable car than the e36.

The e36 while a nice car has a lot of teething pains due to it being the first or one of the first CAD designed models. It's under engineered compared to the tank that was the e30. The interior of the e36 was flaky at best, the e46 seems more robust.

The M54(2) is like most BMW engines pretty dam reliable if maintained properly. Any issues with this engine family also crosses over to the e36 as well. Cooling system failure seems to be the most common problem with these engines and preventative replacement is the key.

Some of the more common e46 issues are:

Window regulator failure
Rear spring breakage
Door seal issues

Most of these were fixed in the later years too.

A less common problem is the rear floor failure that also affects the e36 but contrary to what you'd believe from reading the boards, it's still a reletively uncommon occurance and even then it really seems to affect the earlier pre-facelift cars more (323i more often) though that may just be because of age. Turner sells a reenforcement kit to protect against it. I think RMP would install that for you.

I have owned an e30, e36 and currently a e46 and I can say that although the e30 was my favourite 'drivers' car, the e46 is a very nice ride.

Good luck
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Razkal
6th Gear Member

E46's are pretty solid cars and having owned 2 of them as well as an E36, there is not really much difference in maintainence will all three for me. With my new one, I replaced the coolant expansion tank, thermostat and water pump, most for preventative reasons. You can get tonnes of info on e46fanatics.com and E46Toronto.ca, which is where I looked for all the information before I bought mine.

Need any help with branding your company/services? :
http://www.businessninja.ca

Razkal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: