Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
speedemn
2nd Gear Member

First timer at the track

I am considering taking my 2003 540i/6 out to the track. I have never been to the track (i.e. a real track... I have been to dragstrips many times... not with the 540 though) so I am wondering which track would be best for a first-timer at a real track?

I would probably be wise to have an instructor take me through a session.

Taking all that in to consideration which track would you recommend and what route for seeking instruction would be best for me to take?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Bring an instructor FOR SURE as a start. Even basic traits such as seating position that the instructor may comment on makes a huge difference throughout the day.

Wear some smaller shoes or something so you don't get caught up with the pedals. Tennis shoes for example are great. Take all the junk out of your car. Including the floor mats. All the stuff rolling around can be very distracting and maybe even getting in the way...

Check all your fluids and tire pressure before going on track. Give your car at least one warm up lap at slower speeds and same for slowing down to let your brakes cool off. Don't use the handbrake when you park either.

Bring some Oil, other fluids (brake fluid etc), Air Pig for filling the tires, Tire pressure gauge, Windex and paper towel... Torque wrench and a jack just in case to look for something if the need be. Oh and don't forget water for yourself

Dunnville, Toronto Motorsports Park, Shannonville, and Mosports DDT are great places to start off. Have fun!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:18 AM   #3
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Keep an eye out for the odd Dunnville track day that pops up on maX.. there's one going on this Sunday, and another end of June.

Make sure that your car is in excellent working condition (brakes, ball joints, control arm bushings etc). The single important thing I can recommend (esp for an E39) is to replace your brake fluid with a DOT4 or better before coming out.. old brake fluid will boil on the second lap and leave you with a spongey pedal the rest of the day.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
daily996
1st Gear Newbie

Join the Trillium BMW Club. You will gain some driving skill.
http://www.trillium-bmwclub.ca/site/page.jsp?pageid=120
daily996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:51 AM   #5
DriveItSideways
Banned

Mosport DDT is the best track to learn on IMO
DriveItSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Max_VQ
3rd Gear Member

FYI: After a good track day, your tires will be heavily feathered. Also, don't do a track day with new tires. The deep tread may tear & chunk.

Depending on the track, I would also bring a spare set of pads (ex Shannonville) I have completely used up a brand new set up pad in half a day at Shannonville.
Max_VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
DriveItSideways
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_VQ View Post
FYI: After a good track day, your tires will be heavily feathered. Also, don't do a track day with new tires. The deep tread may tear & chunk.

Depending on the track, I would also bring a spare set of pads (ex Shannonville) I have completely used up a brand new set up pad in half a day at Shannonville.
I find Shannonville way easier on brakes/tires compared to Dunnville, MosDDT.

But definetly a good idea to have spares when going to ANY track
DriveItSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
Chris_Bangle
2nd Gear Member

Going without an instructor will be futile and potentially detrimental (you can pick up some bad habits). For your first time it is probably better to start off on a smaller track.

Here is a list of driving schools with emails/websites in Ontario:

bmw trillium Mosport:
http://www.trillium-bmwclub.ca/site/...DriverTraining

hanson- Mosport DDT:
hanson_gtr@sympatico.ca

bmw ottawa - Calabogie:
http://bmwccottawa.org/

Toronto Motorsport Park driving school:
http://www.torontomotorsportspark.com/raceway/home.htm
gerry@mezocon.com

saabclub - dunnvile and shannonville :
http://www.saabclub.ca/school

gvc bmw does one school at mosport:
http://www.gvc-bmwcca.org/

ian law - Mosport DDT:
http://www.carcontrolschool.com/

Last edited by Chris_Bangle; 05-30-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Chris_Bangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:51 AM   #9
Max_VQ
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveItSideways View Post
I find Shannonville way easier on brakes/tires compared to Dunnville, MosDDT.
I have only been to Mosport Long track and Shannonville, so I no experience with the other tracks.
How do you find Mosort long track on brakes?
Max_VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:57 AM   #10
BigD
the misanthropist

It's wise to "bring an instructor", the only thing you should do is to attend a full, proper school. If you can't afford one, save up until you can, period.

This video gives a great idea of what to expect (it's Pacific Raceways specific but this is pretty much how every novice first session goes at track schools):

http://www.proformanceracingschool.c.../Lessonprw.wmv
Old 06-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #11
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
It's not wise to "bring an instructor", the only thing you should do is to attend a full, proper school. If you can't afford one, save up until you can, period.

This video gives a great idea of what to expect (it's Pacific Raceways specific but this is pretty much how every novice first session goes at track schools):

Jesus christ. I just watched that video, tracking seems intense.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #12
rost12
big 'n' shiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots R View Post
Yup. It's terrifying. We risk our lives each time we go out. We're... heroes, really.

Given the lack of response to this thread by the OP, I'm starting to get suspicious as to the success of his first track day.
rost12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #13
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots R View Post
It's not as bad as it seems, it's not very fast. 3a/3b is terrifying to walk, but pretty easy to drive - it's more annoying than anything, having to go so slow and wrestle the wheel to turn so sharply. But if you walk there you realize that if you don't make the 3A turn, and you try to fight it, you drop about 3 stories off a cliff. That's why they have a runoff to go straight which goes downhill somewhat smoothly and rejoins at the back straight.

The scariest part is turn 1. You go balls out into it and you dive for the edge of a concrete wall. The closer you get to the wall, the closer you get to the apex. The funny thing is that nobody EVER hits that wall, like ever. But what does happen is people lift, and then they get into all sorts of trouble (incl fatal).
Old 06-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #14
slimjim
Almost Sideways

i went for my first track day today with the e30 at dunville. Losts of fun! i recommend going with a smaller group of ppl.

Come out next sunday to dunville!
Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #15
Gleb
E30 ..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
It's wise to "bring an instructor", the only thing you should do is to attend a full, proper school. If you can't afford one, save up until you can, period.

This instructor talks too much... I think
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: