Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > X series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
crowagner
1st Gear Newbie

X5 Hydrolock Engine

2003 X5 with 88K miles, dead as a door knob, towed to dealer, sounds a lot like the stories I am reading about a valve sticking from the cold and allowing fluid to leak into the engine. Looks like a blown head gasket, I am looking at either $6500 to rebuild the head gasket/ engine or a new engine for $12,000. I am not a happy camper and am not going to roll over easy and have these repairs made. Looking for others with the same issue, any resoultion, BMW stand behind it at all (as they made changes to the 04 to avoid this but did not do a recall bc its not a safety issue, yea right) Chris Wagner Dead X5.
crowagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
e36_all_out
2nd Gear Member

v8 or i6? crankcase freezes up due to moisture in the system therefor it does not breath then causes hydrolock. if the car is at home my 1st suggestion would be to remove all the spark plugs cover the holes with rags and something heavy so they dont blow off then crank over the motor a few times. if the motor cranks then your ok if the starter does nothing but click then your shit out of luck motor is seized
e36_all_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
crowagner
1st Gear Newbie

X5 Hydrolock

Its a V6. Good old BMW wants to blame it on worn belts and that I didn't bring it to their dealership for all service. This the company that markets the "ultimate driving machine"? Hyundai offers a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty on their engines, something BWM falls short. So far, very, very unimpressed with the support and assistance I have received. They will do anything to not be the problem. Anyone know a good lawyers that may have gone to court with BMW over a hydrolocked engine?

chris
crowagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Happened to me too around 110k km. Fortunately not much damage. We get serviced at our stealership so we covered the labour and BWM covered the parts. Yeah, I wasn't happy stranded inthe middle of the highway........... and they say this is not a safety issue !?!?!?!??
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: