Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
hypno_nls1
4th Gear Member

05 A4 vs 04 325

Well I drove both of them yesterday a humongous upgrade from a e36 both family member vehicles and they have both told me they are sellin their vehicles next year and rents agrreed to pay half of either one I decide to go after but which one is more problamatic and harder to fix? O ps I like the feel of the A4 in driving terms but the look of the e46 ne help would be awesome

Fear Nothing. Risk Everything.

This is not your everyday, ordinary ****ing beamer!!
hypno_nls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Both are probably not reliable, but I would have to say the E46 might be more reliable.

Actually, the 04 E46 probably had a lot of it's common issues fixed. BMW is still plagued with the Vanos issues etc.

Audi has had major issues, and even their CEO has publicly announced that they are working on their reliability issues.

Read this article first.
http://www.autoobserver.com/2008/03/...or-volksw.html
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypno_nls1 View Post
I like the feel of the A4 in driving terms but the look of the e46 ne help would be awesome
Hmm, usually it is the other way around, Audi for looks, BMW for handling.

I've never been a huge fan of working on Audi's everything just doesn't make sense as it does when working on a BMW. The Audi's engine bay's are usually crammed, and the engine is as far forward as can be.

Which engine did the A4 have? Did they still have the 1.8T or v6 as options? I believe that changes the reliability.

From a Mechanical perspective I like the 325i better, plus it's a late model e46 which most of the issues have been worked out. I can't say the same for the Audi.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
Meegis
Banned

Audi's can be hit and miss. There arent "major problems" as dtthiaga said. Yes there are some, and yes it has been publicized, but it doesnt include EVERY audi vehicle.

What is it about the Audi that you like better and what about the E46? You have to weigh out the options of whats more important to you having to drive it every day.

Do you have a price limit to stick to? Options? Transmission? Year preferences?
Meegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Old 04-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
hypno_nls1
4th Gear Member

They are both auto the bmw had better handling but the 3.0 audi engine was faster and I liked the breaking in the audi better price is not really that important no paying for school and I'm working constuction currently. Its just that my father consistently tells me of all the problems that his friends have with audis

Fear Nothing. Risk Everything.

This is not your everyday, ordinary ****ing beamer!!
hypno_nls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #7
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Hey, Don't listen to Meegis. Audi has problems.The CEO has publicly declared this. What more do you want? There is several class action lawsuits coming down the pipe for Audi. One of those law suits include the "Water leaking issue". Also, their dealer network is horrible. Look at the article I posted.

I was actually test driving an Audi in 2004, and the sales guy was saying how they fixed all the electrical issues. While on the test drive, this new Audis airbag service light came on. I told the sales guy were done, and no need to spend any more time with me.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #8
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Beemers have their issues too...... lots of them........ if those things concern you, buy a Honda.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:29 AM   #9
Scrape
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
Beemers have their issues too...... lots of them........ if those things concern you, buy a Honda.
Thats where i am at now. I had an Audi, now a BMW and this thing is plagued with issues too. I had my 04 A4 when it was new and it had its share of new control arms, wiper control arm, tail light bulbs, etc...and this bimmer has door freezing issues, power steering pump issues, cel light on and off, door locks not working etc... so I agree. Get a Honda. So much for spending $$ on a nice car for me. I actually did have better luck with my 01 Jetta 1.8T. Only thing wrong was the water pump died. Good luck hunting.
Scrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:42 AM   #10
BimmerboyPH
5th Gear Member

we used to have an 04 325i, no problems what so ever! Great car!
BimmerboyPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #11
woofster
3rd Gear Member

My suggestion is to get the car that excites you more. Between the B7 A4 and the E46 325, maintenance, cost, insurance & reliability will be more or less on par. If maintenance, cost, insurance & reliability are key criterion for you, then as Tominizer and Scrape have already said, get a Honda. My old Civic was absolutely bulletproof.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #12
Meegis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga View Post
Hey, Don't listen to Meegis. Audi has problems.The CEO has publicly declared this. What more do you want? There is several class action lawsuits coming down the pipe for Audi. One of those law suits include the "Water leaking issue". Also, their dealer network is horrible. Look at the article I posted.

I was actually test driving an Audi in 2004, and the sales guy was saying how they fixed all the electrical issues. While on the test drive, this new Audis airbag service light came on. I told the sales guy were done, and no need to spend any more time with me.
Wow, I actually said they do have problems, but dont take the fact that one problematic car means ALL are problematic. You just seem to have had a bad experience and now your blasting any other opinion.

I own an Audi and have never had any major problems with it. Take a chill pill and take the BMW love cock out of your ass. Both companies are similair, and until you have experience with both (more than, I had one this one time) you might be a little less biased.

I know this is a bmw forum, and yes, there is a bias, and I know im fighting a lost cause, but all I am trying to say is, check the history, be thorough inspecting the car and you should be able to find the problems before the purchase decision.
Meegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:16 PM   #13
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
The resale value could be better after some years if you decide to sell it. I would go for E46.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:32 AM   #14
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meegis View Post
Wow, I actually said they do have problems, but dont take the fact that one problematic car means ALL are problematic. You just seem to have had a bad experience and now your blasting any other opinion.

I own an Audi and have never had any major problems with it. Take a chill pill and take the BMW love cock out of your ass. Both companies are similair, and until you have experience with both (more than, I had one this one time) you might be a little less biased.

I know this is a bmw forum, and yes, there is a bias, and I know im fighting a lost cause, but all I am trying to say is, check the history, be thorough inspecting the car and you should be able to find the problems before the purchase decision.
Hey, Wake up Call Meegis. I have no "BMW Love Cock" up my ass. The fact I own a BMW doesn't mean I love them. They are great cars, but POS when it comes to owning them.

I hate owning my car. I love driving it. My next car is not going to be a BMW. If I do buy a new one again, I'm going to beat the living day lights out of that thing and return it back to BMW Canada wet at the end of the lease. I wonder if BMW fixed their vanos issue; it’s only been 15 years.

I was going to say, that you definitely have your head straight up VW/Audi's ass. You CEO has publicly mentioned, that he's working on their reliability issues. You keep ignoring that fact.

I will highlight some VW/Audi Facts from that article ( http://www.autoobserver.com/2008/03/...or-volksw.html )

VW hasn’t made a dime in the U.S. since 2002, when, incidentally, it sold 100,000 more vehicles than last year. VW lost something on the order of

VW’s best year in the U.S. was 1970, when it sold 569,000 vehicles.

The company can’t seem to get the stuff here. It’s no longer acceptable to launch the new-generation model in Europe and force the U.S. to wait a year or more for the same car. Audi executives told AutoObserver at the Detroit auto show they know it is not a good situation, saying, “We have to manage that.”

Oh, and PS… I’m totally chilled.

Last edited by dtthiaga; 04-28-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:52 AM   #15
Scrape
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga View Post
Hey, Wake up Call Meegis. I have no "BMW Love Cock" up my ass. The fact I own a BMW doesn't mean I love them. They are great cars, but POS when it comes to owning them.

I hate owning my car. I love driving it. My next car is not going to be a BMW. If I do buy a new one again, I'm going to beat the living day lights out of that thing and return it back to BMW Canada wet at the end of the lease. I wonder if BMW fixed their vanos issue; its only been 15 years.

I was going to say, that you definitely have your head straight up VW/Audi's ass. You CEO has publicly mentioned, that he's working on their reliability issues. You keep ignoring that fact.

I will highlight some VW/Audi Facts from that article ( http://www.autoobserver.com/2008/03/...or-volksw.html )

VW hasnt made a dime in the U.S. since 2002, when, incidentally, it sold 100,000 more vehicles than last year. VW lost something on the order of

VWs best year in the U.S. was 1970, when it sold 569,000 vehicles.

The company cant seem to get the stuff here. Its no longer acceptable to launch the new-generation model in Europe and force the U.S. to wait a year or more for the same car. Audi executives told AutoObserver at the Detroit auto show they know it is not a good situation, saying, We have to manage that.

Oh, and PS Im totally chilled.
Oh I could not have said it better myself. It is a great driving car and honestly, I wouldn't want to own another one again. Owning this car is almost as bad as owning my Ford Probe GT back in 1994. What a pos that was. My check engine light has been on and off for the past two weeks. No idea why. It is on then off, on then off for a whole week, then its on again now the weekend is here. It must know it needs a break over the weekend too. Honestly, I'd still rather own an Audi over a BMW. That is my opinion but given the other choices on the market, I would pick something else over those two now. BMW is just a name and with problems that have been lingering over 15 yrs, their engineering group needs to get their act together. These cars seem to be built for exactly 4 yrs and they start to break.
Scrape is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: