Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 7 series
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
R2dmax
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 194
Question HELP! Ignition cylinder removal

I have an e32 735iL. The ignition had locked up on me and I need to replace the cyl and tumbler. I have the parts, but the ignition will ONLY turn far enough to unlock the steering wheel. It wont go into position 1.

Does ANYONE know anything about how to get it out of there if it wont go to the "normal" point?
R2dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
J@Tuner
1st Gear Newbie
 
J@Tuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 24
Give this a try and tell me how it goes
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...er+replacement
J@Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
R2dmax
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 194
I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks. Mine is locked up pretty bad though. Hopefully the e32 and e34 work similarly
R2dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor
 
Eurostyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Milton
Posts: 14,883
I can see only one problem you might have in using that method; in order to insert the paper clip/wire, you NEED to rotate the key pas the unlock point. If your ignition does not rotate enaugh, you wont be able to take it out this was.

On the other hand, a GOOD flat head screwdriver and a hammer will do a good job! It takes a few minutes, and it can be messy, (watch for flying pieces! lol), but it works! (on E36 and E34)
__________________
BIMMER HEAVEN
Specialized in BMW recycling, all OEM used parts
Up to 90% off new cost!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5


Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:31 AM   #5
R2dmax
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
I can see only one problem you might have in using that method; in order to insert the paper clip/wire, you NEED to rotate the key pas the unlock point. If your ignition does not rotate enaugh, you wont be able to take it out this was.

On the other hand, a GOOD flat head screwdriver and a hammer will do a good job! It takes a few minutes, and it can be messy, (watch for flying pieces! lol), but it works! (on E36 and E34)
So where exactly am I suppose to apply the "hammer" method? The black surround? the silver section of the cylinder?
R2dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:44 AM   #6
R2dmax
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 194
Bump for assistance...
R2dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor
 
Eurostyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Milton
Posts: 14,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2dmax View Post
So where exactly am I suppose to apply the "hammer" method? The black surround? the silver section of the cylinder?
If you have to ask, i dont think you should try it....
Its done braking off the center of the cylinder, piece by piece, untill you get to the bottom of it and can spin the lock freely...
__________________
BIMMER HEAVEN
Specialized in BMW recycling, all OEM used parts
Up to 90% off new cost!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5


Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
MANDD
Autobahn East
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ajax
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
If you have to ask, i dont think you should try it....
Its done braking off the center of the cylinder, piece by piece, untill you get to the bottom of it and can spin the lock freely...

+1

Braking out the center is the only alternative if it cannot rotate to fit the pin however If you are unsure do not try it, not to discourage you but if you go too far you will need the housing.

Mark.
*****************************
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:05 PM   #9
R2dmax
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANDD View Post
+1

Braking out the center is the only alternative if it cannot rotate to fit the pin however If you are unsure do not try it, not to discourage you but if you go too far you will need the housing.

Mark.
Meant to update you guys, I went out there and tried to "work on it" for about 30 minutes or so with no real progress. I found a locksmith that REALLY knows Bimmers in Charlotte (with A LOT of searching) and he replaced it for $100 bucks. It took hime 2 days to get to me so I took the column apart and removed the electrical part of the ignition (switch, I guess) and started and drove the car that way until he came. Thanks, as always for your help.
R2dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.