Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
wraith318
2nd Gear Member

ok, spent the better part of yesterday afternoon tearing open my C-pillars and both sides only had the antenna amp. from the bentley manual it shows that the radio amp should be in my trunk. but i spent way too long trying to get the C-pillars back in correctly to check that out.

had a bitch of a time getting the deck in all the way ... had to cut out that piece that's at the back and trim off some of the side lip, but it's finally in.....

now i'm going to tackle the amp and see how that goes. funny thing .. when i had my door panel off and the dash apart the cops roll by and decide to come over and pester me about what i'm doing. after showing them my ownership and drivers license they tell me to take it to a shop and not do that stuff in the open as it catches peoples attention and then they get calls from people thinking i'm trying to steal a car ..... yeah because we all know that a car thief likes to remove stuff before making a getaway with your car. what a couple of retards .....
wraith318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #17
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Interesting about removing your C-Pillars. You should just be able to pop the light off and detach the wire to the light and then remove your C-Pillar, unless someone decided to put some cocking back there.

That's pretty funny about the cops(in a way lol)

Hope everything works out for ya with the amp.

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:22 PM   #18
wraith318
2nd Gear Member

ok, i located the amp .... in the trunk. i have a question .... the original wires that ran to the back of the factory deck do they loop .... what i mean is even if the amp wasn't there would it still be powered off itself ?

cause i was thinking now that i have the sony hooked up. there aren't any speaker wires off the sony , the reason i need a separate amp ..... BUT i was thinking i could just use the wires coming off the bmw amp and run them over to the alpine amp i have and not need to run speaker wires since it looks like they run back to the speakers and then deck.

does that sound do'able ? or just run the wires myself and be sure.

just trying to look for some short cuts
Old 04-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #19
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Running amps in Series or parrallel I have no Idea about. So I'm not going to give you any ideas and wreck something.

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #20
wraith318
2nd Gear Member

i think i my have to run new speaker wires ... because there are no speaker wires coming from the sony harness .... just front and rear outputs for the amp. so i guess it's going to need to go to the amp and then feed the front and rear speakers.

i just looked and the wiring diagram and it's not some easy hook up. the way i was thinking i could have done it was like this :

i thought the speaker wires coming off the bmw deck fed into the bmw amp... then back out to the actual speakers. what i was wanting to do was tap into the bmw amp and use it instead of having to install the alpine .... but there doesn't look to be rca input/outputs on the bmw amp. it's all through the smaller wires. and after inspecting the aftermarket harness i only see the blue remote wire and the speaker wires that are left to hook up. so that blows my plan out of the water.

so i think i'm going to take the bmw amp right out and then strip out all the bmw factory wiring for the sound system and then run my own stuff so that there aren't any crossed lines.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: