Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
Gamite

Synthetic Sealant vs Synthetic Wax

Are they the same? Do you need to wax over a sealant?

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
HoldenC
Pro Mobile Detailing

Wax is a bit of a misnomer nowadays. Very few products contain enough carnauba to qualify as a wax. As a rule of thumb, if it is liquid, it most likely is synthetic and if it is a paste, it most likely contains carnauba.

I don't think that is your question, though...

Synthetic Sealant vs Synthetic Wax

To the best of my knowledge, there is no difference between the two. Sealants may acquire their name due to their longevity, but not through any chemical difference.
HoldenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Gamite

Thanks, that's what I thought. So Synthetic Sealant is just a fancy name for Synthetic wax.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
HoldenC
Pro Mobile Detailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite View Post
Thanks, that's what I thought. So Synthetic Sealant is just a fancy name for Synthetic wax.
All sealants are synthetic, but not all waxes are synthetic. And, in my humble opinion, there is no such thing as a synthetic wax.

Synthetics are just a lot simpler and less expensive to produce in mass quantities than producing them in a traditional manner with natural oils and additives.

See http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...2&postcount=11 for more information on waxes.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
HoldenC
Pro Mobile Detailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite
Do you need to wax over a sealant?
You don't NEED to apply a wax over a sealant. The results, though, suggest you should do so with a quality carnauba...

This 2007 Porsche Cayman had Klasse AIO topped with Swissvax Saphir

Old 04-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
Gamite

isn't that mothers FX and Meguars NXT synthetic? they call it "Synthetic wax"

I'm going for more durability rather than looks here.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
HoldenC
Pro Mobile Detailing

Most OTC stores do not carry carnauba products, such as Canadian Tire. Meguiars NXT & NXT2 are synthetic, as well as Mothers FX (very few people use Mothers - very poor quality stuff in my opinion).

Synthetic doesn't mean bad, though. It most cases, it is better for the end user because of its durability. Carnauba products usually last about 2-4 weeks while a coat of Klasse AIO + SG will last anywhere from 6 months to one full year.

NXT is one of the better OTC products. Collinite Fleet Wax is a very popular alternative on Autopia, as well. You can find it at the boating section of your local CT.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
Gamite

I tried that NXT stuff last year, and was pretty impressed with it on coloured cars. Didn't see too much promise on black cars though.

This year I got some of that wolfgang gloss sealant. Similar to Klasse, that's why I was wondering if I needed to apply a "synthetic wax" over the sealant. But seeing that they're the same thing, I guess I need not bother?

Old 04-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
HoldenC
Pro Mobile Detailing

Cleaners in NXT will remove any layers below it. Wolfgang Gloss Sealant may or may not, depending upon if it's a pure sealant, or AIO type product.

At first glance, WSG appears to be a pure sealant. Try using NXT after claying the car and top up with WSG and see what results you get. If they're not as good as you would like, then WSG may contain cleaners.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #10
Gamite

I got the twin back with the sealant and the polish. So I was assuming the polish would take off what I don't need.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #11
HoldenC
Pro Mobile Detailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite View Post
I got the twin back with the sealant and the polish. So I was assuming the polish would take off what I don't need.
What twin is that Gamite? How and when did you plan to use the polish? By hand/CT buffer, PC, or rotary? Does it contain abrasives or is it a chemical polish (you can tell by feeling the product for abrasives)?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
Gamite

This is the polish I purchased, The twin pack consists of this and the wolfgang glaze. I plan on using a simple 10" orbital with foam pad to apply it.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #13
HoldenC
Pro Mobile Detailing

So, this product will cleanse the paint and assist the following sealant with adhesion to the paintwork. There's no need for NXT with this product.

You should get reasonable results and the buffer, while no PC, should give a more even application than could be done by hand. Make sure its a non-abrasive pad.

To save you some trouble in the future, the CT buffer will not correct paint defects. It is for sealant/wax application only.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #14
Gamite

yea, it's generally new paint, just looking to protect really. Has some swirls that I'm hoping the polish will take out.

I actually find it easier to apply wax by hand, are there any benefits to applying by buffer? I just use it to remove because it just makes life easier.

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #15
HoldenC
Pro Mobile Detailing

It's a good choice for protection. The pre-wax cleanser will not remove any swirls but may fill some minor ones in (which is why they reappear 1 month down the road).

The benefit of applying products by buffer is a thinner application, using less product. I prefer to remove product, no matter what it is, by hand with a nice, plush microfibre towel.

You're welcome, Gamite.

Tell all your friends about Apollo Detailing :wave

Last edited by HoldenC; 04-04-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: